Spare Key & Fob Programming for Mazda5

Is there anyway to replace the "remote" part of the key without replacing the key? The reason I'm asking is because the coil part that holds my house key broke off. Nothing's wrong with the key itself and didn't know if I could buy another key & just switch the outer parts??

I have a 2006 Mazda 5 and I only have one key for it. I know this was already asked but do I need to go to the dealer to program a second remote or is there a process that works? I have tried one and it does not seem to work. Also is there a different process for programing the alarm portion?

Is there anyway to replace the "remote" part of the key without replacing the key? ...
You can separate the key from the transponder, the instructions are in the first post of this thread. On the switchblade style key, the key and the transponder are two separate parts. The key ring is actually a third part.

I have a 2006 Mazda 5 and I only have one key for it. I know this was already asked but do I need to go to the dealer to program a second remote ... Also is there a different process for programing the alarm portion?
Since you have one key you have to have the dealer program the second key for you. While you are at it, might as well have them program a second transponder (fob), should be one hour of labor.

Once you have a second key and second transponder, I highly recommend getting a third key / transpoder and programming it yourself for use as a spare key. Think of it as insurance in case you lose one of your two existing keys.

With regard to the alarm, I have no idea, my Mazda5 doesn't have an alarm.

Last edited:
I have a 2006 Mazda 5 and I only have one key for it. I know this was already asked but do I need to go to the dealer to program a second remote or is there a process that works? I have tried one and it does not seem to work. Also is there a different process for programing the alarm portion?

In order to program a 2nd key, the dealer must do it.

However when you add a 3rd key, you can do it yourself, but you must have the other two keys during the programming of the third one.

On the switchblade style key, the key and the transponder are two separate parts.

Does anyone know the part # or approx price from dealer for the upper third of the switchblade style key (switchblade holder part w/key blank)?

When we bought our 5, the dealer thought they lost our key, so they supplied a new blank fob...then they found our actual key in some shop guys pocket several weeks later and told us to keep the new blank for all the trouble. Well I was inspired by all you to get my third key cut and programmed, so I dug it out of the car stuff, opened the box, and found out it is only the transmitter portion of the fob. (uhm) Now I need the rest. Any lines on part # and where best to get?

Thanks.

Does anyone know the part # or approx price from dealer for the upper third of the switchblade style key (switchblade holder part w/key blank)?...
Short answer: G2YA762GXB and $48.76 (MSRP), cutting of the key should be included.

Long answer: The switchblade style key is made up of three parts:

CC43675RYC: transponder part of switchblade style key, $126.70 (MSRP = $158.37)*
G2YA762GXB: key part of switchblade style key, $39.01 (MSRP = $48.76)
KRTT09001: key ring, $0.49 (MSRP = $0.61)

MSRP is what you will pay if you walk into your local Mazda dealer, the lower price shown is the price from this site: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214264 which is Montgomery Mazda out of Charlotte, North Carolina.

Montgomery Mazda will cut the key(s) for you at no extra cost, based on your VIN only. Shipping is $6.50 for the continental US if I remember right though free shipping on orders over $100 or $125. I had a couple keys made there this past April and they were cut perfectly and work great.

There is another style of key, a “normal” key without the transponder / fob. This is what I keep on my key ring – I like it because it is a lot smaller than the switchblade style key plus I don’t have to worry about it getting wet, getting hit while in my pocket, etc. This key is part number F1Y1762GX, $22.58 (MSRP = $28.22).

As long as I'm mentioning sites, here is another one that I have used and am happy with: Med Center Mazda out of Pelham, Alabama: http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda5test.html

I didn't buy keys from Med Center Mazda, rather I bought items for changing my oil (filters, replacement housing) as well as a cargo net. I'm happy with both Med Center Mazda and Montgomery Mazda.

* There has recently been a $15 price drop in part number CC43675RYC (transponder), I paid $141 for it at the above-referenced site in April.

Last edited:
So a friend of mine lost one of his 2 keys for his 5. The dealer wants $350 for a new replacement or $150 for just a key without the fob. My understanding is that if he bought a replacement from remotesupermarket, he would still have to take it to the dealer to be programmed (and cut), right? Anyone know how much they charge for that?

Thanks.

OMG!(wow)
I had an extra key (without remote) made by my dealer for 10 bucks.
Sure, it'll only get the door opened, but I have it in one of those magnetic boxes someplace under the car. At least I have a way to get in should I ever lock myself out and leave the "real" key+fob inside the car...

$150 for a door key is beyond outrageous, IMHO!

Heat-
You rock. Now THAT is an answer - thanks for all the really good information. I'm off to order a key, and I like the fixed key option you mentioned.
Also, I agree with your statement about Med Center Mazda - I have bought from them before and talked to them on the phone before - they are competetive and helpful.
By the way, I just called my local dealer and MSRP means nothing to them (except maybe Must Screw ouR Patrons)- they set their own price and they want $65 for the switchblade KEY PART ONLY and $40 for the non-switchblade style key. Highway robbery - I'l be calling Med Center or Montgomery.
Thanks again.

...I'l be calling Med Center or Montgomery...
If you do call Med Center about the keys, please post back with what their key prices are, and keep in mind that they have free shipping on orders over $100 to the continental US. Assuming their prices are in line with Montgomery Mazda, you can get the "normal" key, the switchblade key (key part only), and a couple more things to get you over $100 for free shipping. Maybe a cargo net and a bottle of touchup paint?

As an example of what you can get from them, here is what I ordered from Med Center:

Oil Filter 5-pack with free oil filter wrench: $23.80
Mazda oil pan drain plug washer: 5 @ $1.37 each = $6.85
Mazda Oil Filter Housing: $14.15 (just in case…)
Mazda Air Filter: $15.51
Mazda5 Touchup Paint: $5.34
Mazda5 Cargo Net: $38.32
Mazda Zoom-Zoom Decal: Free

Total cost = $103.97 with free shipping

Just keep in mind that at Montgomery Mazda they cut the keys at no extra cost, based on the VIN only. Maybe Med Center does this also, I don't know. You still have to program the key yourself but that takes about ten seconds.

One other thing, some people have found cheap keys on ebay. I have not personally looked at ebay for Mazda5 keys so I don't know much about what's out there or what the going price is on ebay.

Last edited:
If you do call Med Center about the keys, please post back with what their key prices are.

I ended up ordering through Montgomery Mazda - they were a bit cheaper, closer to me (faster shipping), and Jason was very helpful. He said I HAD to order on the web as they require the VIN (in text) to cut the key. Based on what Jason said on the phone , if I placed the order before noon on Thursday, he would cut the key (included in same price) and it would ship USPS same day and I should get it by Saturday. We'll see if I get mail tomorrow - if so, great service. It was $22.58 + 6.50 shipping. I did also get a cabin air filter for 23.78, but since that's all I needed I could not get over $100. No increase in shipping to include the filter.
Med Center was also helpful on the phone and VERY close in price - 23.99 + approx. $10 for shipping. (and they DO cut for that price), but again, since I couldn't get to $100 for things I really needed, I opted to go with Montgomery for less $$.

OMG!(wow)
I had an extra key (without remote) made by my dealer for 10 bucks.
Sure, it'll only get the door opened, but I have it in one of those magnetic boxes someplace under the car. At least I have a way to get in should I ever lock myself out and leave the "real" key+fob inside the car...

$150 for a door key is beyond outrageous, IMHO!

Hi there, new to the forums, a great resource!

A question about keys... I got a no chip key cut (2007 Mazda 5 GT) at the dealership at last service time with the same idea as above. Problem is, when I try using it, it locks and unlocks the driver's door just fine, but it does not disarm the factory-installed alarm... Am I missing something? Should I be unlocking it a certain way?

Thanks!

John

Yes if you have a factory alarm it will go off if you open the door with the no chip key, if you close it using the key FOB which activates the alarm (GT). You only use that if you want to intentionally lock the key fob inside the car for safekeeping (so it wont get wet during swimming / water sports) in this case you will have to lock it manually or using the no chip key which will disable the alarm.

Yes if you have a factory alarm it will go off if you open the door with the no chip key, if you close it using the key FOB which activates the alarm (GT). You only use that if you want to intentionally lock the key fob inside the car for safekeeping (so it wont get wet during swimming / water sports) in this case you will have to lock it manually or using the no chip key which will disable the alarm.

Thanks, that's the answer I was kinda hoping for!

Hi there, new to the forums, a great resource!

A question about keys... I got a no chip key cut (2007 Mazda 5 GT) at the dealership at last service time with the same idea as above...
Are you sure that you have a non-chipped key? If you paid around $30 for it, it's got to be the chipped version. Try progrmaming it, the instructions are in Post #1 of this thread:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123695620

If it really is a non-chipped key, consider picking up a chipped key so that you can start the car as well as avoid the alarm issues. About $30 with cutting included from the dealer. If your dealer tries to charge labor for cutting it, or has marked up MSRP (should be less than $29 plus tax) just buy it online at Med Center Mazda - less than $23 plus $6.50 shipping, cutting of the key included. You can program the chip in the key easily yourself, really easy.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic... Anyone know how to change the battery in the fob?

In all the auctions that are on Ebay most sellers ask to compare the following numbers with the ones you have on your keys:

FCC ID: KPU41788
IC : 4238A-41525
Visteon No. 41525

What I have on my key is completely different.

MR 1382 ANRT 2005
CE C 5616
Mitsubishi Electric SKE126-01

Also none of the sellers offers a key that has the same buttons like mine. Instead of a panic button, I have a button to disable the car alarm.
Maybe I should add that I live in Germany and have a "European" Mazda 5.

Do the numbers of the keys you purchased on Ebay match what's inside the original keys?

Attachments

• Nummer.jpg
    Nummer.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 886
  • buttons.jpg
    buttons.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 718

Latest posts

Back