Spare Key & Fob Programming for Mazda5

Strange... I tried my other keys, and it appears that the alarm will sound sometimes with all of them when physically unlocking the door. Even the new one can successfully open the door without setting off the alarm. Note that I'm not opening the door, just unlocking it by turning the key. So it seems like there's a problem with the theft deterrent system, and only the dealer can fix it?

Definitely sounds like a flaky switch in the lock, but I would not take it to the dealer they will try and sell you the power locking mechanism plus labor I would guess $600? I would squirt some WD-40 in the lock and work the keys a little bit but if it keeps doing it just avoid using the keys in the lock! You have three working remotes, right?

Well, I tried it again, and all keys seem to work for the time being without setting off the alarm. I think something in the mechanism must have been a bit stiff, and I worked it loose. The previous owner only had the one key, the switchblade remote (she claimed she only got one with the car, but she must have lost one?), so I'm sure she exclusively used the remote and the door lock might have seized up a bit from lack of use. If it acts up again, I'll try a little bit of lubrication. Thanks for your help!

Sound like the keys were not programmed properly.

Are you reprogramming all the keys associated with the vehicle (Not just the additional 2 new keys purchased)?

Perhaps try the reprogramming instructions or have a locksmith or the dealership help if the problem continues after trying the reprogram.

I solved an issue with the alarm sounding when I used a third key I had programmed (no fob, just a key with chip). When you unlock the door, you have to hold it in the unlock position (turned to the left) for at least a couple of seconds, to give the switch enough time to activate. If you don't hold it long enough, the door will indeed open, but the alarm will sound.

I just want to add some additional information about the switchblade remotes that was not obvious to me but may help others.

I had broken the small tab inside the remote when taking apart the remote to change the battery. I had obtained a replacement fob and moved the key (removed the roll pin) to the new fob head
613DEqcoKEL._SY355_.jpg
. Since I don't drive the Mazda5 I didn't readily notice that I couldn't start the car, I was only able to lock and unlock the doors.

I read on this forum that the key portion had the RFID chip in it. I was thinking that it was the key blank.
4902869447_fbf807bea7.jpg

On another forum I found out that the RFID chip is actually in the key head, not the key blank.
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=498083. I disassembled the old and new key heads and swapped the part of the housing that contains the RFID chip (it looked to be epoxied in). I suggest removing the key (remove roll pin) in order to get the switchblade spring set properly.

Following are some pictures to illustrate things. These may not be for Mazda5 fobs.
Here is the a key head (or key as Mazda refers to it). It shows the intact retaining clip.
TIK-MAZ-05.jpg

This gives a view of a broken clip. The circle is the area where the RFID chip is.
flipkeychip.jpg

This picture gives an idea of what is inside the key head.
2.jpg

Last edited:
When I purchased my car I only had one FOB so I got an aftermarket remote start and alarm so I was able to use that to unlock the car. I purchased 2 key FOB's off ebay and took them to a local dealer. They charged me $50 to program them and I paid $70 or $80 for the 2 FOB's so in the end it came out a lot cheaper then getting one more from the dealer.
Bout the key, try ebay for blanks and call a local Locksmith to see how much they will charge to cut the key.

I ordered a fob (which I successfully programmed) and a switchblade key together for $36 from Amazon. After the locksmith cut the key we couldn't program it. I opened it and there's nothing in the small square cavity. Is there a way to JUST order the RFID chip to insert into this area? Does anyone have info on whose chips / model #'s they use?

Edit: I think the chip is actually the large rectangular thing that's glued into the cavity on the other side. I guess mine is bad?
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Key fob replacements need their physical keys cut and their electronics programmed in order to match up with their corresponding vehicles. Replacement prices vary depending on whether youre dealing with a smart key or a more standard key.If you only broke the standard mechanical key in your key fob, cutting a new key shouldnt cost much, and you may be able to continue using your existing key fob along with your newly cut mechanical key.

Key Fob battery dead? I had to reprogram all three key fobs for my 2010 and after I got my car into programming mode, 2 worked and one didn't. It's battery was dead. But it also failed to light up the center of the fob when pushed.

You have the flip style keys, right?

You have more than one key and fob?

I ordered a fob (which I successfully programmed) and a switchblade key together for $36 from Amazon. After the locksmith cut the key we couldn't program it. I opened it and there's nothing in the small square cavity. Is there a way to JUST order the RFID chip to insert into this area? Does anyone have info on whose chips / model #'s they use?

Edit: I think the chip is actually the large rectangular thing that's glued into the cavity on the other side. I guess mine is bad?
View attachment 213681

Yes, that, circled in red, is the chip. It's a little piece of silicon brick that is just wedged in the plastic. I broke the plastic housing and got a replacement and moved over he key and that chip to the new housing and no programming needed.

Latest posts

Back