Spare Key & Fob Programming for Mazda5

I made a 3rd key for my 2007 mazda 5...

I bought a transmitter fob off ebay (~$30). I programmed it using instructions in the PDF file. You can program up to 3 fobs for your car.
-Note that although the PDF specifies it is only for 2006 vehicles below a certain VIN, it worked fine on my 2007.

I bought the RFID key blank from the dealer (~$10?) and had it cut at the local locksmith ($5). You or locksmith will need to tap in the small roll pin to attach key to the fob if it's not already attached. I then programmed the key using instructions in the GIF file. You can program up to 8 blanks this way.

Good luck!

Attachments

• M5_fob_program.pdf
    355.3 KB · Views: 28,124
  • key_203.gif
    key_203.gif
    67.3 KB · Views: 14,127
Does anyone have the remaining instructions from that GIF posted before? I bought my Mazda5 used and only have one key. I want to program two more keys and the PDF instructions don't seem to work.

Does anyone have the remaining instructions from that GIF posted before? I bought my Mazda5 used and only have one key. I want to program two more keys and the PDF instructions don't seem to work.

I think you need to go to the dealer to get them to program at least one other of your keys.

The dealer told me and all the instructions I have seen all require two remotes. I think the intent of this is to be a security feature to prevent someone from cloning a key with just one copy.

But hey, please correct me if I'm wrong.

^^ That is correct, 2 same programmed remotes are needed to create a 3rd one. I agree, this measure is for security reasons (i.e. when dropping your car at the valet parking)

I bought a blank switchblade key off of Ebay for like 50$US (including shipping), and it worked just fine. Well almost. Lowes screwed up cutting the key. So I had to buy another key blank for like 7 bucks and have it cut and installed by a professional (like another 10$US).

There is a sequence to program the transponder in the key, and another to program the remote that came with the key and is floating around this board.

I bought a blank switchblade key off of Ebay for like 50$US (including shipping), and it worked just fine. Well almost. Lowes screwed up cutting the key. So I had to buy another key blank for like 7 bucks and have it cut and installed by a professional (like another 10$US).

There is a sequence to program the transponder in the key, and another to program the remote that came with the key and is floating around this board.
I'm not sure what you mean "installed by a professional". What was installed?
Also, do you remember the seller you brought the fob and key from on ebay?

I'm not sure what you mean "installed by a professional". What was installed?
Also, do you remember the seller you brought the fob and key from on ebay?

Here is i picture of a key:

images.jpg

So I got my key cut at Lowes [the big box hardware store], they screwed it up, and it couldn't open the car or turn the ignition. So to fix it, I bought just the metal blade part off of Ebay and had a professional locksmith, cut the new blade, and replace the old worthless blade on the key.

To replace the blade, open your key, so that the blade and the body is at a 90 degree angle. You'll see a pin at the base of the blade. Pop that pin out and the blade detaches. The trick is getting the pin back in :).

This was an example of my stinginess costing me an extra $12 and a couple hours of time.

I bought my key from remotesupermarket on ebay for 47$US total. The extra blade was 7$US total from gemworld4u. They were picked because they had good ratings and the lowest price I could find. The delivery was fast.

I would recommend that everyone get another key made, in case you lose one, as visiting the dealer sucks.

And the beauty about the way the system works, is that if you have three keys, and if you do lose a key, upon discovering you've lost it, you can program out the lost key with the two remaining keys. So yes, someone who finds your key can get into your car, but they won't be able to start it.

So does that make sense?

Here is i picture of a key:

View attachment 133123

So I got my key cut at Lowes [the big box hardware store], they screwed it up, and it couldn't open the car or turn the ignition. So to fix it, I bought just the metal blade part off of Ebay and had a professional locksmith, cut the new blade, and replace the old worthless blade on the key.

To replace the blade, open your key, so that the blade and the body is at a 90 degree angle. You'll see a pin at the base of the blade. Pop that pin out and the blade detaches. The trick is getting the pin back in :).

This was an example of my stinginess costing me an extra $12 and a couple hours of time.

I bought my key from remotesupermarket on ebay for 47$US total. The extra blade was 7$US total from gemworld4u. They were picked because they had good ratings and the lowest price I could find. The delivery was fast.

I would recommend that everyone get another key made, in case you lose one, as visiting the dealer sucks.

And the beauty about the way the system works, is that if you have three keys, and if you do lose a key, upon discovering you've lost it, you can program out the lost key with the two remaining keys. So yes, someone who finds your key can get into your car, but they won't be able to start it.

So does that make sense?

Thanks for all the detailed info. I will be purchasing one also now.

So a friend of mine lost one of his 2 keys for his 5. The dealer wants $350 for a new replacement or $150 for just a key without the fob. My understanding is that if he bought a replacement from remotesupermarket, he would still have to take it to the dealer to be programmed (and cut), right? Anyone know how much they charge for that?

Thanks.

I bought a remote and with a blank from ebay transponderisland. I bought from them because it was a brand new remote (others selling said slightly used), the cost was $54 shipped. Instructions were sent with remote but I used the instructions posted here. I had the blank cut at a local locksmith for $2. No problems programing the remote and key. It is my 3rd remote and I have 2 stand alone non remote keys. Hopefully I wont need to do this again but if I do it will not be a problem. Thanks to remarquian and those who contributed info in this post.

I have one valid key and the dealer just mailed me a new one already cut based on the code after I just bought it used. The dealer was 50 miles away so I dont want to go back just for a key. Anyone know the cost to have the local mazda program it?

Wowzuh.

Dealer mailed me a new key already cut and works right out of the bag even keyless.

booya.

anyone want to share the program code for the key fob. i'm curious as to whether or not the protege fob will work to unlock the doors.

I've got a 2008 Mazda5 and just bought the regluar (non-switchblade) key (with chip) from the Mazda dealer (part number F1Y1-76-2GX). I paid MSRP for the key (~$28), but they cut it for me too. Programming was easy per the directions above.

Last edited:
Back