Transmission Fluid Type?

chengdave2003

:
2007 Mazda 5
Without going into the screw up that I did (hint.....when changing the engine oil, take the drain plug out of the ENGINE).....what type of transmission fluid does the 2007 Mazda 5 auto tranny take? My owners manual say type M-V. No idea what that is...is it "Multi Vehicle" or "Mercon V"? I went to a couple of parts store on today (Sunday) and couldn't figure it out. Otherwise I'm off to Mazda tomorrow.

Thanks,

Dave

Thank you! I read your reply after returning from the Mazda dealer. M-V is Mercon V...... It was about $4.19 a quart at the dealer....

Don't feel bad about the drain plug screw up either. I came thiiiiiiissss close to draining the tranny on my wifes Forester before I took a second look at what I was doing. So was it like "Hmmmmm oil isn't usually pink is it......Do-oh!"

I had the stomach flu yesterday, I was trying to put up a strong front for the kids that I was ok by going out to the garage to play, but it was hard to focus on what I was doing. As the "oil" was coming out I was thinking it sure was clean looking....and red. REDDDDD!! So as I'm struggling trying to get the plug back in, it falls into the drain pan. Then I can't get it to thread in (righty tighty, lefty loosey....except when you're facing the wrong way.....). Besides it had been a long time since I had seen a tranny with a drain plug. I really should have waited till I was feeling better. But I got the oil changed, and now three quarts of new transmission fluid. I've been changing oil and doing my own car (ATV, lawn equipment, house, kids toys, etc) repairs since I was 16 (I was 16 in 1971) and that was probably one of the biggest bone-headed moves I've done.

I have to say that changing the oil on the Mazda 5 isn't much harder than a regular car, cartridge oil filter and all (other than the bone-headed move). Taking the splash pan wasn't hard, and it sure keeps things clean underneath. I think in the future I'm not going to bother taking the plug out of the filter housing to drain it.

Oh...and I'm feeling much better today....

Dave

Back