anyone eliminate the PCV and run a breather tank yet?

i've done this on all my high compression hondas and it worked like a charm to reduce crank case pressures and eliminate any chance of oil ingestion.

It would be interesting to see. I have mine set up in a ghettofied fashion because I lost the blue clip that holds the PCV valve to the pipe assembly of the motor, so its pretty much taped into place. Will be so untill I get a chance to run by the dealership and pick up some extra clips.

i've done this on all my high compression hondas and it worked like a charm to reduce crank case pressures and eliminate any chance of oil ingestion.

Ive though about this but don't really know enought about the car to know where to put it yet-- I would guess plumb it inline between the vavle cover and the line that runs to the intake?

I have to say, I have taken my TMIC off and with 11k miles it had no oil residue-- unlike my WRX.

The pvc is under the intake manifold. I don't know of anyone running a breather off it, but Whooosh put a catch can in line, as will I be in a week or two. That's where the oil is coming from causing the smoke issues.

There may be some bad turbo seals out there, but what most people describe sounds more like blow-by. It'll smoke some times, but not other times. If you get on it for a bit it goes away for a while. There is an oil catch resevoir bolted to the block. That is what the pvc valve is comming off of. If it gets full, the only other place for the oil to go is up the hose to the intake manifold, and subsequently into the engine. When you get on it, logic would suggest some of the oil in the resevoir returns to the block in the path it came in at.

There may be some bad turbo seals out there, but what most people describe sounds more like blow-by. It'll smoke some times, but not other times. If you get on it for a bit it goes away for a while. There is an oil catch resevoir bolted to the block. That is what the pvc valve is comming off of. If it gets full, the only other place for the oil to go is up the hose to the intake manifold, and subsequently into the engine. When you get on it, logic would suggest some of the oil in the resevoir returns to the block in the path it came in at.

Are you saying there is an oil catch resevoir installed from the factory (stock)...? Where is it? I haven't stumble across it...

If there is, then there should be a maintenance procedure to empty it?

Yes, but the procedure would involve a dealer tech removing the intake manifold. I don't trust them that much. You'd either have to use some sort of suction tool, or remove the case and let it spill everywhere. I'd rather have the sendary catch can located down near the fender so I can drain it easily when I change my oil.

Yes, but the procedure would involve a dealer tech removing the intake manifold. I don't trust them that much. You'd either have to use some sort of suction tool, or remove the case and let it spill everywhere. I'd rather have the sendary catch can located down near the fender so I can drain it easily when I change my oil.

Thats very odd, if Mazda put a catch can on there, then there has to be a way to empty it easily... I figured they would have imagined it getting full at some point...

Where is it exactly? I'm going home and checking it out!!

Thats very odd, if Mazda put a catch can on there, then there has to be a way to empty it easily... I figured they would have imagined it getting full at some point...

Where is it exactly? I'm going home and checking it out!!

Why would mazda care? You already bought the car. The techs are probably supposed to empty it, but they're probably too lazy.

You have to remove the intake manifold to get to it. It's where the pvc valve is attached.

Why would mazda care? You already bought the car. The techs are probably supposed to empty it, but they're probably too lazy.

You have to remove the intake manifold to get to it. It's where the pvc valve is attached.

hmm, on hondas, the stock seperator tank drains back into the block...it's got baffles inside to keep oil from reaching the pcv, and the fumes/crankcase pressures go through the pcv at the top of the tank. i can't imagine mazda would make one w/o a drain back feature.

i gotta get a factory service manual, this is getting ridiculous! hahaha

There's no oil catch can, there's only a pcv valve that works like on any other car that goes from the crank case to the intake manifold. The tube that goes from the valve cover to the intake that has the blue clips is for clean air to go into the crank case to balance out the low pressure (aka breather tube), when the fumes in the crank case is being sucked into the intake manifold it creates the low pressure. if you are to install a oil catch can, you'll be tapping into the pcv-to-intake manifold tube, not the valve cover to air intake tube.

B3E0116W0052.png

There's no oil catch can, there's only a pcv valve that works like on any other car that goes from the crank case to the intake manifold. The tube that goes from the valve cover to the intake that has the blue clips is for clean air to go into the crank case to balance out the low pressure (aka breather tube), when the fumes in the crank case is being sucked into the intake manifold it creates the low pressure. if you are to install a oil catch can, you'll be tapping into the pcv-to-intake manifold tube, not the valve cover to air intake tube.

B3E0116W0052.png

ding ding ding - we have a winner!
this is 100% correct

B3E0116W0052.png

your completely wrong dude. the valve cover PCV only lets pressure out into the inlet tube during boost only, this is because the lower pcv on the crankcase closes during boost to prevent boosting the block, so now the positive blow by pressure has help being sucked out of the block by the little bit off vacuum inside the inlet pipe during full boost.

this is the best way i can think of to install an actual working OCC that filters both crankcase and VC blow by threw the OCC and back into the inlet tube to prevent loss of any metered air by the mafs. plus works both ways under boost and vacum!! and with only one can!!

1z65d1x.jpg

Back