What Should I get? $350 budget

katsmp3

My car (mp3) got broken into and the kenwood z919 was stolen. So the insurance people tell me that i have $350 to spend

What's the best i can get for the money.. it should have, cd/mp3/ipod connection.... bt/gps/dvd if possible

The JVC KD-HDR1, great unit, HD radio, SRS Circle Surround.

OR

Sony MEX-DV2000, Dolby Digital 5.1 surround, DTS, Phantom Center Channel, HD radio ready, AUX out right on the front of the deck, HPF/LPF, Double Layer DVD+R/RW/SACD/VCD/CD/CD-R/CD-RW compatible.
Both have WMA/MP3 Playback.
I'm getting the Sony, I currently have the JVC and it's great, although I want true 5.1 surround sound.

JVC and Sony FTL.

Pioneer DEHP6900UB. Built in USB for ipod/hard drive/usb mp3 player. Or go with the DEHP7900BT with built in Bluetooth and add the CDI200 iPod cable.

Sony owns that headunit, DVD, DD Pro Logic II, DTS, AUX in, MIC input, Picture EQ, SACD, CSO, if you don't have a center channel speaker.

Way better.

Sorry, but you couldn't pay me to put a sony in my car.

And Sony iPod "integration," if you could even call it that, just plain sucks.

Katsmp3 said he/she wanted iPod integration (which the Pioneer does with one of the BEST interfaces in the industry), and Bluetooth, which the DEHP7900BT does out of the box.

I think it's funny that on SONY's site, it highlights that the MEXDV2000 has 4 volt preouts, but then you go into the specs on another tab and it says max preout is 2V. That's some real QUALITY for ya...

Who cares about an aux in when the pioneers have DIRECT ipod/mp3 player CONTROL? OoOoh MIC input, do you sing in your car? Because I don't. When was the last time you saw a store that sold SACD's? That's Sony for you though, trying to hold on the dead technologies just to try to be "special" (can you say MD and ATRAC?? lol)

Sorry, but Pioneer >> Sony.

Last edited:
My car (mp3) got broken into and the kenwood z919 was stolen. So the insurance people tell me that i have $350 to spend

What's the best i can get for the money.. it should have, cd/mp3/ipod connection.... bt/gps/dvd if possible

You can get everything the Z919 had for about $200 these days.
I would spend the other $150 on an Xm or Sirius tuner or maybe even a better set of front speakers

Sorry, but you couldn't pay me to put a sony in my car.

And Sony iPod "integration," if you could even call it that, just plain sucks.

Katsmp3 said he/she wanted iPod integration (which the Pioneer does with one of the BEST interfaces in the industry), and Bluetooth, which the DEHP7900BT does out of the box.

I think it's funny that on SONY's site, it highlights that the MEXDV2000 has 4 volt preouts, but then you go into the specs on another tab and it says max preout is 2V. That's some real QUALITY for ya...

Who cares about an aux in when the pioneers have DIRECT ipod/mp3 player CONTROL? OoOoh MIC input, do you sing in your car? Because I don't. When was the last time you saw a store that sold SACD's? That's Sony for you though, trying to hold on the dead technologies just to try to be "special" (can you say MD and ATRAC?? lol)

Sorry, but Pioneer >> Sony.

OoOoOh dealing with 10,000 songs on some small ass screen really does it.
SACD capability is just a perk, and it's way better than CD's.
It still has DTS, and Pro Logic II, DVD+/-RW ETC...
The Pioneer has, Great iPod capability, she didn't say intergration, although I'm sure it's preferred, but you can listen to an iPod on both.

Oh and by the way, no one is installing a Sony headunit in your car, or even talking about you, so don't b**** about it so much.

awwwe sorry about your broken in mp3/stolen stereo kat

nice $350 from insurance though, have fun shopping lol

OoOoOh dealing with 10,000 songs on some small ass screen really does it.
SACD capability is just a perk, and it's way better than CD's.
It still has DTS, and Pro Logic II, DVD+/-RW ETC...
The Pioneer has, Great iPod capability, she didn't say intergration, although I'm sure it's preferred, but you can listen to an iPod on both.

Oh and by the way, no one is installing a Sony headunit in your car, or even talking about you, so don't b**** about it so much.

What is the point of that "perk" if you cannot even use it? SACD is a dead technology

Also, what is the point of all that surrround sound stuff when, the OP has all the stock stuff?

Hey I am just trying to help the OP to ge the best HU for their money, so what is the point of suggesting a radio that you are getting for your needs and not theirs?

I'm sure there's an OT section on this board for you to flame people for giving opinions opposite to yours.

The best thing, IMO, for "iPod Integration" is the Monster Cable iTV Link cable. It gives you line output from the iPod with a dock connector to RCA cables. It also has a mini-USB port that you can run power to so you can charge the iPod. Having used head units that control the iPod internally, I've found that I prefer to still use the iPod's click wheel - it's just more intuitive.

Run the RCA's to any head unit's aux input, and run a 12v - USB power adapter to the cable to charge it.

That's a lot of words, and it sounds both complex and low-class, but in practice, it's pretty slick.

personally, if you dont have steering wheel controls, then control integration w/ an ipod is kinda pointless.

well unless you want to look at the song name from the HU

JVC and Sony FTL.

Pioneer DEHP6900UB. Built in USB for ipod/hard drive/usb mp3 player. Or go with the DEHP7900BT with built in Bluetooth and add the CDI200 iPod cable.

I like the look of the JVC's but haven't really considered them much. I read some reviews on the sonys that yall mentioned but some of them said that the faceplate was a pain to remove.. and i'll have to do that daily..

I'm going to try to get the Pioneer DEH-P9800BT .. it's only a little more than my budget.. if that doesn't work then i'm going to get either the sony one or the DEHP7900BT

Thanks for all the advice...

make sure you actauly need what you are buying.
Again 9 ties out of 10, $200 will get you everything you really want.

I'm going to try to get the Pioneer DEH-P9800BT .. it's only a little more than my budget.. if that doesn't work then i'm going to get either the sony one or the DEHP7900BT.

Good choice with the 9800BT, it has almost everything you wanted from your original post. The 7000BT would have been more in your budget, but Pioneer has not started shipping them yet, so the 7900BT is a good alternative.

Although I do like Kenwood (I have a KDCX919), Pioneer will be a lot more Menu friendly than the z919 or even any Sony at that price. Besides the Pioneer looks WAY better than any Sony.

Back