STRI DSD boost gauge installed,highly recommend!(w/pics)

rmcat

installation was not hard,considering the only mod I've done to a car was an intake&a bov,it took me around 2 hours,the hardest part was run the sensor wire through the firewall on the driver side,this alone took me 30 mins,mainly becuz the sensor wire has adaptor/connector on both end,but I didn't remove the battery nor did I drill,I just remove the rubber grommet from inside the car and use a thin rob to help pass the wire.

about the gauge,it's a very well made piece and it also matches the interior of our car,it has all the functions I want,peak/warn/dimmer/self calibration...and most importantly it's fairly priced IMO($140,even though I paid like $200 since I'm in Canada,so add shipping,taxes,broker's fee...)

Attachments

• PICT1647.JPG
    PICT1647.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 2,700
  • PICT1650.JPG
    PICT1650.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 3,746
looks good. I prefer it in the drivers side air vent though. All in all great work though. :)

installation was not hard,considering the only mod I've done to a car was an intake&a bov,it took me around 2 hours,the hardest part was run the sensor wire through the firewall on the driver side,this alone took me 30 mins,mainly becuz the sensor wire has adaptor/connector on both end,but I didn't remove the battery nor did I drill,I just remove the rubber grommet from inside the car and use a thin rob to help pass the wire.

about the gauge,it's a very well made piece and it also matches the interior of our car,it has all the functions I want,peak/warn/dimmer/self calibration...and most importantly it's fairly priced IMO($140,even though I paid like $200 since I'm in Canada,so add shipping,taxes,broker's fee...)

Could have gotten the same for half the price is you would of looked at Prosport Gauges.

Could have gotten the same for half the price is you would of looked at Prosport Gauges.

I was thinking about prosport at the very beginning,but after seeing many ppl having problem with their prosports I backed off,and I have to say they look cheap in person...
you get what you pay for

I just put in a Prosport mechanical boost gauge a couple days ago in a-pillar pod and i think it looks great and it appears to be accurate. Zero is fine and matches great with the stock gauges.

You cannot compare the 2. The STRI comes with better quality hardware and the gauge case construction looks a lot better.

You cannot compare the 2. The STRI comes with better quality hardware and the gauge case construction looks a lot better.

If it was mechanical, i would say yes.. But its electric.. No electric gauge can beat out a mechanical gauges quality. But as far as price per performance, pro-sport is a better buy.

Even compared to the electrical version. I have both here and STRI wins hands down. I understand the cost factor, but for the people who prioritize quality above the cost, STRI is the one to choose out of the 2.

It's like payless shoes vs. nike, adidas, reebok.

Last edited:
I'm sick of people hating on prosports. They are an excellent value, maybe not top of the line, but cmon!

If your gauge is broken, they have excellent customer service and will fix it right away. Mine has not had issues. I would reccomend them for sure. Save the money, get a slightly less "shiny" gauge, and put the money you save into something more useful.

Even compared to the electrical version. I have both here and STRI wins hands down. I understand the cost factor, but for the people who prioritize quality above the cost, STRI is the one to choose out of the 2.

So what... it just looks better?

What makes you say its a better gauge other than aesthetic appeal?

its just a little needle that moves around, as long as it points somewhat near the number indicating how much boost is going into my engine, within about +-1 psi, thats all you will ever need.

Failure rate is just way too high for the Prosport. I just ordered the STRI gauge and they have better reliability record than the Prosports.
Prosports have to have great customer service with as many gauges get sent back to be repaired.
For a company that just came out they have more failures than any other gauge I have seen out there.

I don't want to order something and have to wonder if it will arrive broken or will crap out later.

Even $150 is pretty cheap for a peak/hold with a warning boost gauge.

It is not always good to be cheap!

Pretty negative comments. My Prosport gauge looks and works great. It also matches the MS well. I particularly like the way the lighting changes at night. The folks at Prosport were also really helpful. I would absolutely recommend Prosport...

So what... it just looks better?

What makes you say its a better gauge other than aesthetic appeal?

its just a little needle that moves around, as long as it points somewhat near the number indicating how much boost is going into my engine, within about +-1 psi, thats all you will ever need.

I sell both lines along with many others. I have seen many different brands of gauges. From my firsthand experience, my professional opinion still stands as is.

The components supplied with the gauge, lines, map sensor, etc are all better in the STRI. The wires in the Prosport are not terminated. The vacuum tubing supplied is some cheap plastic water hose type. The gauge housing isn't machined as good on the bezel. The supplied instructions are written horribly as well, typos, incorrect spelling, etc.

They both do the job. One just does it better.

Last edited:
Good points, and I definetely won't argue with them, just wanted some specifics as to why the stri is better.

I still think my prosport was a good purchase, and I'd definately buy from them again.

Well, if you want accuracy, you gotta go mechanical. So, its moot. Every gauge has failure rates, i dont care who manf them. The fact that less people own STRI than Pro-sport obviously show who has a larger market share. The more you sell, the more likely you will have a higher defect rate. Just ask Autometer, Apexi or Dephi...(no)

Mechanical being more accurate than electronic is an old myth. Back when there weren't many high tech electrical components in cars this was true. Now today with the advancement of electrical sensors, electrical is equal to if not more consistent and accurate than mechanical.

If electronic wasn't accurate OEM's would not use MAP sensors in their ECU/PCM to detect manifold pressure for the fuel tables. The direct source to the sensor equates to faster response and higher accuracy.

What is true is that a high quality mechanical should be equally as accurate as an electronic. Although, in lab tests in various pressure monitoring systems, electronic sensors have proven more consistent and accurate. If electronics were inaccurate we would still be using carburetors as a type of mechanical source of fuel injection.

The reason companies such as Autometer sell a lot are because of the cost. Their gauges are the budget priced. When the price is more affordable to everyone more people will have them. Very few people purchase their high end Nexus gauges compared to their Ultra-lite line. You will see more cars running lower cost gauges than the high cost, high end Defis. Also, the main reason companies still make mechanical is due to the lower cost than using electrical MAP sensors in their gauges and some people still build older cars where there is little or no power source.

Last edited:
the main reason companies still make mechanical is due to the lower cost than using electrical MAP sensors in their gauges and some people still build older cars where there is little or no power source.

...and because enough people cling to the notion that they are more accurate than electronic gauges for the money so keep buying them.
Thing is, I wouldn't even directly compare current electronic gauges to older ones. Even 20 years ago, they were more like "electric" gauges than electronic. The senders and gauges were primitive in design compared to what is in use today. Back then I would have agreed that mechanical is the way to go. The constant advances in reducing the size of electronics and development of new technologies has changed that. The old units had a physical needle that was electrically swung across the gauge face. The design had inherent response time and accuracy issues. Now, an LED (or LCD, whatever it is) lights up to simulate movement of a needle across a dial. Response is instantaneous and the display is precise.
I no longer see any advantage to mechanical.

Back