Will Not Be Getting Another CX7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just filled up. I was at exactly 1/4 tank. Put in 14.05 gallons, cost $44. And ended up with 19.1mpg...with driving a lot in town which I usually don't do and using my remote start quite a few times.

Please do not take offence to what I am saying here but it should be considered.

If we look at the OP's avatar he appears to be a pretty big guy. My guess would be over 275 lbs. Could that be his MPG. problem? Maybe he has to give that automatic a little more throttle to get it going...Then add others into the car and watch the milege go down the pooper.

Just a thought...I my self am 6'5" 260 and I KNOW I will have milege figures way below EPA Estimates..it's a given.

LOL so just cuz someone shaves his head and has a goatee (or whatever that thing is) means he must be a big dude? I'm not saying you're wrong... but that's rather assumptive on your part.

Even if you're right though... the avg guy weighs like what... 200lbs? so if he's 75lbs more... is that REALLY going to make THAT much of a difference? 75lbs really isn't that much when you think about it... I mean, does Joe Shmo get better gas mileage when he's driving to work solo in his camry then he does when he's taking the kiddies to little league?

Assuming there's nothing wrong with his car, I think homez just needs to adjust his driving style...

Chico- weight is your enemy in speed and gas mileage, and more-so than one might think

For example:

4,200 lbs @ 244 HP - 15.987 1/4 mile time
4,000 lbs @ 244 HP - 15.729 1/4 mile time
3,800 lbs @ 244 HP - 15.463 1/4 mile time

half a second difference for only 400 lbs...

now obviously there are other factors (RWD, AWD, Wrong-wheel drive [FWD], launch, grip, temperature, etc, etc, etc), but the point is to show that if weight effects speed that much, it'll also effect gas mileage in a similar fashion.

LOL so just cuz someone shaves his head and has a goatee (or whatever that thing is) means he must be a big dude? I'm not saying you're wrong... but that's rather assumptive on your part.

Even if you're right though... the avg guy weighs like what... 200lbs? so if he's 75lbs more... is that REALLY going to make THAT much of a difference? 75lbs really isn't that much when you think about it... I mean, does Joe Shmo get better gas mileage when he's driving to work solo in his camry then he does when he's taking the kiddies to little league?

Assuming there's nothing wrong with his car, I think homez just needs to adjust his driving style...

That's actually pretty funny. I weigh 174.

For most of the responses here, I really don't care, I've already got my sites set on a Mazda 3 for the fall and will be dumping the CX7 regardless.

But last week I was in finalizing the deal on my 2008 PRHT and noted that the 2008 CX7 stickers have changed... No longer do they say 18-23 MPG. They now say 13-18 MPG, but 12-15 MPG average.

So there you have it.

I get an average of 17mpg in an Explorer and I know the Trailblazer gets about 15mpg average from my experince. Other than needing the premium fule the CX7 isn't to bad as far as suv's go. I know the bigger suv's get worse milleage.

For most of the responses here, I really don't care, I've already got my sites set on a Mazda 3 for the fall and will be dumping the CX7 regardless.

But last week I was in finalizing the deal on my 2008 PRHT and noted that the 2008 CX7 stickers have changed... No longer do they say 18-23 MPG. They now say 13-18 MPG, but 12-15 MPG average.

So there you have it.

Correct - those are the new "realistic" EPA numbers that were just released for all 2008 vehicles. The old numbers were based on 55mph w/ no A/C. The new ones vary speed, measure loads on accleration, cycle A/C on and off...a lot more "real world" if you ask me. So, now you are falling 1-3 MPG below what the EPA says...think about Prius owners - they were, at one point falling 15-20 MPG below EPA estimates.

wao, although I havent read the whole thread...I have been thinking of getting a CX7 for my wife...and that is pretty impressive considering my Hummer H2 gives me an average of 13mpg city/hwy combined...and my last trip to Oklahoma from TX it gave me 15mpg...on a 6700lbs AWD SUV. That figure surely wont help me decide on the CX7. We currently also own a 2005 Freestyle with the 3.0L and currently get 22mpg combined.

Still, the CX7 is fun to drive, fast and nimble, with killer looks and priced much, much less than the closest crossover that posses nice body lines. So, eat your heart out.

wao, although I havent read the whole thread...I have been thinking of getting a CX7 for my wife...and that is pretty impressive considering my Hummer H2 gives me an average of 13mpg city/hwy combined...and my last trip to Oklahoma from TX it gave me 15mpg...on a 6700lbs AWD SUV. That figure surely wont help me decide on the CX7. We currently also own a 2005 Freestyle with the 3.0L and currently get 22mpg combined.

I had been considering the H2 just because the look stands out on it, how do you like it? I want to hear the complaints.

The CX-7 doesn't sound to bad from what I've read.

that's a good point. the H2 and their owners get slaughtered... and, no offense, but rightfully so. In today's tough economic times... fuel prices never being higher... a war over oil... the ozone shrinking... these people are mostly looked down upon. (which is ironic considering how high off the ground they are.) I was at a restaurant the other day when an H2 pulled up... everyone by the window collectively snickered in disgust. It was actually pretty funny.

So what's my point? I guess my point is that's a bit unfair! I mean, yeah... that mileage is s*** and 99.9% of the people who drive that thing don't use it for what it's designed to do (off road anyone?). It looks badass... which is why, of course, it's so popular. But lb for lb... or perhaps, lb for mpg... it's FAR better than the CX-7... and a trillion times better than the rx-8. yet... those cars drive by without a peep.

I guess the H2 is an easy tar... hmm... bad choice there... symbol. Symbolizing America's greed... FU attitude... selfishness... etc.

But is it fair? I mean... at least this thing can haul s***!! The RX-8 (cx-7 is nothing more than a tall midsize car in this dept) can't even haul ass!!

So perhaps those restaurant goers need to snicker at the cx-7s, rx-8s and other sportscars of the world....

or maybe they just need to eat their lunch and shove it up their ass.

^well at least some one sees the light! Every time I speak to someone they ask me if I get 6mpg, but when I tell them I get around 12-13, they always say " oh, that's not bad". But yes it will always be tag as a gas guzzler. Yet no one says anything about the 8 mpg of the AWD Cadillac Escalade XL! Or the ineficiency of the 3.0L Ranger, which gave me a ridiculous 16mpg combined!

I drive it fairly quick all the time too... the difference between 15 MPG and 20 MPG in my pocket isn't substantial enough to care... might be a couple hundred a year.

Exactly! For a typical 10,000/yr. driver the difference is $47/month...

10000/(15 MPG) = 666 gallons = $2264 @ $3.40/gal
10000/(20 MPG) = 500 gallons = $1700 @ $3.40/gal

Savings with "good" gas mileage = $564/year = $47/mo.

Not worth stressing over IMO. If saving money on gas is anyone's priority, they should seriously consider the cars with 30+ MPG. There's no sense comparing the worst of the worst (SUVs) because you're guaranteed to be disappointed.

So there you have it.

I can see why you are upset. I remember the window stickers reading 18-23mpg. If I was scoring 14mpg on average I'd be PISSED. I know it's an SUV/cross over. If I needed a vehicle like that, I'd be looking for one that was efficient. If I was told one thing and found out another later on, I'd be doing exactly what you are doing.

FWIW, I score 25-28mpg in my mazdaspeed 3. I do better on trips.

I'm averaging about 18mpg city, and 22mpg on the highway. I guess it depends on how you drive. If your a leadfoot, than your millage is going to be less.

I just don't get it......
Cars never get what the EPA says and even a casual look on the internet will tell you this vehicle doesn't get good gas mileage.
Yet, people claim ignorance and gripe about about the gas mileage. Not just here, but all over forums in general with other cars too.
That being said, I agree that the CX-7 SHOULD get better gas mileage for a 4 banger and premium fuel exacerbates the frustration of owning the car.

My wife bought an 07 last week and the EPA rating on the sticker is 18/24.

My 08 I purchased last night says 16/22 on the sticker. It also says right above it, "These estimates reflect new EPA methods beginning with 2008 models".

Also states combined fuel economy is 18 mpg.

well I jump right into the lake and we got a GT and was curious to see that '08 are using 87 octane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back