HOW TO: Install Boost Gauge into Drivers Vent

Elbarato, what I ended up doin what snipped part of the fuse tap to make it narrower. I used a wire cutter and little by little take away some width.. I made it as wide as the fuse point. But you're right, it still takes patience and steady pressure to push it in there cause it's still gonna be tight. Thanks again.
here's my Prosport boost gauge video turning on and off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmrNiTneYYM beeps on turn on which is kinda annoying after awhile, but i can live with it I guess.

Last edited:
add-a-fuse minis are overkill and too expensive (IMO) for installing a gauge. The Radio Shack taps are a fraction of the price and you get like 10 in a pack.

Perhaps but they fit perfectly and are intended for this type of application.

I used this write-up as a guide this weekend to install my Prosport electric gauge. Overall, nice writeup. Everything went as advertised, although I did a few things differently. I routed my silicone vacuum tubing through some 3/8" wire loom and routed it under the IC to the passenger side of the car to the large rubber grommet in the firewall. Besides making it look abit more "OE", which was really what I was after, it may protect it from the heat in our engine bay. I put the electric pressure sender behind the glovebox and ran the electrical wires to the gauge from there. I have a few complaints about the Prosport gauge. Their wiring harness is worthlessly too short. I had to solder more wire (about 3 1/2 foot more) to reach the fuse box behind the glove compartment because the harness they give you is about 8" long. Hardly enough to hook it up to any power source, at least in our cars. I think they can provide more wiring for the price, or even if they have to make the gauge $5 more. It also is not bright enough in amber mode to use during the day. There is a lot of glare on the gauge and I can barely see it. Maybe it'll get better when I tint my windows. Anyway, I too had problems with the fuse taps from Radio Shack. First, at Radio Shack the rocket scientist working there told me they didn't carry them and I'd have to go to an auto parts store. After about 10 seconds of looking through one of their parts bins, I found what I was looking for and let him know that he did carry them. Then of course, they need to be trimmed down to fit into our fuse box as mentioned in previous posts. They're meant for the larger fuses, not the mini ones, but after some trimming they do fit. I was expecting a 1, 2, 3 install with these, but spent a lot more time and lost a lot more sweat using these than I would have liked. I'd probably just use some wire taps with removable female connectors if I had to do it again. I used a Mearcat pod, which works nicely. I've got it Velcro'd to the A-pillar, but I may end up double sided taping it.

do they make any type of guages with white needles like the 8.5's have? and can you dim and brighten the aftermarket guages like the rest of them?

I have a question. I am going to install a Defi Red Racer boost. It doesn't have the memory/warning features. Do I tap the constant 12V or do I use another fuse?

i'd prefer to wire it to the fuse panel like ElBartoRex shows. Thanks for the tip tho

This may be a stupid question but why does the boost gauge sensor tap into the vacuum line coming from the BPV? Isn't that the line that recirculates unused boost pressure back to the intake when you are off the throttle?

Dude that is a sick mod! I would try that but i live in florida so i need every ac vent possible.

Buying a boost gauge is def. my next mod. and this is the exact setup I plan to run. I just wish I could get a white needle to match my 08.5 gauges.

This may be a stupid question but why does the boost gauge sensor tap into the vacuum line coming from the BPV? Isn't that the line that recirculates unused boost pressure back to the intake when you are off the throttle?

no-- that is the manifold pressure source-- it triggers the bov to open or close depending on the pressure or vacuum in the manifold, which is exactly what you need for the gauge.

the recirculation hose is the big fat one on the back of the bpv

What size is the T fitting used to tap into the line going to the BPV?
I am not sure of the exact size, the gauges come with the fittings.

Last edited:
I bought a used Auto Meter gauge that did not come with a T fitting so I was hoping somebody could tell me what size the T was.

I bought a used Auto Meter gauge that did not come with a T fitting so I was hoping somebody could tell me what size the T was.

I dont know the exact size, but you can get them from Autozone, its just a vacuum hose t fitting. I think the one I used was 1/4" size.

what do you guys use to hold the t fitting in place? I'm boostin too much that it would come off hehehehe and i see it on my boost gauge. It happened 3 times already. a friend told me liquid electircal tape?

hose clamp
zip ties - ghetto
tape

really, the best thing is to go get a hose clamp small enough. i have a zip tie on mine bc it's what i had access to. i was driving down the road and my tube came off of the tee, threw a p2187 (too lean at idle) slapped the hose back on the tee, threw a zip tie on it, cleared the code and i'm good to go

You can get a mutli-step "T" hose barb fitting. Then it will fit no matter what size the hose is.

Back