emblem removal

daan

:
06 "5"
are the emblems on the tailgate glued/taped on, or are there holes under there? I don't think the huge Mazda badge in the middle will come off without bodywork, unless someone here knows better. I've taken the badges off all the cars I've owned, and I'm just itching to get the heat gun out but I don't want do it if they're pinned on like the ones on my Miata. That was OK because the panel was small enough to remove, fill holes and paint but I don't want to have to paint the whole tailgate. Speaking of which, what is the tailgate made of on 5's? I know the tailgates on Jeep Cherokees are fibreglass. Found that one out the hard way when de-badging my dad's truck for him.

i dont know about the 5 yet myself, but what do you normaly use to do it i was told wd-40 and some fishing line but i've haven't tryed it yet.

Either get a heat gun, or on a hot sunny day, a hair dryer is enough. Basically heat up the emblem, that will get the adhesive sticky. Get a length of fishing line (or even dental floss) and work that behind the emblem. Kindo of saw the line back and forth behind the emblem across the thing, not toward you. That will "break" the adhesive off the car without scratching the paint. Try the WD-40 or even "Goo Gone" http://www.psa-card.com/DillmanUpton/Auctions/Polish/Goo_Gone_8.jpg to get the rest of the adhesive off. Of course try the fluid on a hidden spot to make sure it won't affect the paint and REALLY REALLY be careful with the heat gun because I have started plastic stuff on fire with those! You can easily burn the paint off of metal with a heat gun, so watch out! Hope that helps.

Speaking of which, what is the tailgate made of on 5's? I know the tailgates on Jeep Cherokees are fiberglass. Found that one out the hard way when de-badging my dad's truck for him.

daan,

The lift gate on the 5 is made of polycarbonate aka plastic. I don't really know about the emblem removal, I would think maybe attack it with a heat gun, but I have no experience, so that might torch the paint job. I do know that plastic = very nice lightweight hatch.

just use a stiff credit card, once you get it off a pencil eraser will take off the goop left.

So I have a question then, If I were to take the emblem off, paint and then put it back on, what would you suggest would be the easiest way to get it to stick back onto the car. Would you suggest a double sided sticky tape of some sort?

I wanted to take the emblems off, and leave them off. Uhh, I guess you could remove then replace the emblems if you wanted...there is this special 3M adhesive at auto parts stores, but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. It looks like really thick 2-sided tape, and it will stick things to your car just fine. I attatched a bobble-head thing to the dash of my winter car with the 3M stuff almost a year ago, it sits outside all year and neither heat or cold has made the bobble-head loose at all.

Back