P5 NA Build - Target 175whp

Anyways back to the build.....

I have decided to add the oversized valve, spring, and hardware package from supertech and crossover auto through PG. I'm going with the single spring for a little extra closing power and because im not pushing redline too much. There is no reason why my head shouldnt breathe well at high rpms now! The limiting facors will now probably be the intake and exhaust like LW said. PG has agreed to port and polish the head and size for the bigger valves all in one step!

Awesome stuff. High RPM breathability will also be helped by the lift on the twiggy cams, which is considerably more than the stock or ZE cams.
you going to get any work done on the combustion chambers ? weld and reshape perhaps? or something a little less extreme like volume matching and ceramic coating?

Awesome stuff. High RPM breathability will also be helped by the lift on the twiggy cams, which is considerably more than the stock or ZE cams.
you going to get any work done on the combustion chambers ? weld and reshape perhaps? or something a little less extreme like volume matching and ceramic coating?

have not considered this. I guess i dont know much about it. Any info or elaboration would be great. I'll try to search myself as well.

There is a place about 40 min away from me that does ceramic coating of pistons. They use CBC2, and it supposed to reduce heat soak and detonation... ie keeps more heat in the combustion gas they also offer a coating on the skirts as well.... if you get both its only 5 bucks more.
100 bucks total. I might do this Ill have to give them a call.

Still didnt find anything on volume matching though.

Anyways back to the build.....

I have decided to add the oversized valve, spring, and hardware package from supertech and crossover auto through PG. I'm going with the single spring for a little extra closing power and because im not pushing redline too much. There is no reason why my head shouldnt breathe well at high rpms now! The limiting factors will now probably be the intake and exhaust like LW said. PG has agreed to port and polish the head and size for the bigger valves all in one step!

Wow! your pickin up parts rather quickly, lucky! lol Deffenately got some catchin up to do

I will be sending my pistons to get ceramic coated (with CBC2) tomorrow!

www.classiccoatings.com

I'm going to go for the moly skirt coating as well (only and extra 5 bucks per piston)
I'll take pics when I get them back. Should be less than two weeks.

As soon as the pistons get back the shop can install them. Then I'll just have to wait for the head to get back from PG (another week or so) and the enigne will be back in the car! I'll also try to get to the shop and get some pics of the work in progress.

There is a place about 40 min away from me that does ceramic coating of pistons. They use CBC2, and it supposed to reduce heat soak and detonation... ie keeps more heat in the combustion gas they also offer a coating on the skirts as well.... if you get both its only 5 bucks more.
100 bucks total. I might do this Ill have to give them a call.

Still didnt find anything on volume matching though.

volume matching is minor combustion chamber machining to insure that the chambers are all of exactly equal volume.

you can get the chambers coated as well as your pistons if you want as well...

Yeah, i found out today the place Im sending the pistons doesnt coat the head anymore.

Thanks for all the insight LW, but seriously stop making me spend more money!!! ;) (im kidding keep up the insight!)

Yeah, i found out today the place Im sending the pistons doesnt coat the head anymore.

Thanks for all the insight LW, but seriously stop making me spend more money!!! ;) (im kidding keep up the insight!)

hahaha, i could have told you to go out and have the combustion chambers welded then reshaped ;) but only if you want to spend lots of money :) :)

most head work is relatively cheap, until you need to get the thing on a flow bench... the head quote i got was about 70% flow bench time..

when are you looking at getting dirty and building the thing? how long before you have collected all your goodies and can get started?

Shipping the pistons tomorrow. Hopefully they'll be back by the end of next week. Pistons go in, we wait for the head and valve train, head goes on then cams, motor goes back into the car, I drive away extemely happy. There, my cars done I'll have a dyno chart up soon. :)

should be about a month and a half for my car to get back on the street. I'll be getting dirty in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Shipping the pistons tomorrow. Hopefully they'll be back by the end of next week. Pistons go in, we wait for the head and valve train, head goes on then cams, motor goes back into the car, I drive away extemely happy. There, my cars done I'll have a dyno chart up soon. :)

should be about a month and a half for my car to get back on the street. I'll be getting dirty in a couple of weeks.

OMG - fast worker :)

whilst you might not take out the title, or even the current record, you'll certainly be miles ahead of any other person participating in the challenge, which will give them a wriggle on.

how much you budgetting for tuning? alot of power to be had in timing on the FS, especially with its short stock rod ratio which you are maintaining - so plenty of dyno time should yield some impressive results.

What would be really cool, would be to get 2 tunes done...a pump gas, then a race gas tune.... you'd of course be limited to fuels that are not going to munch your catalytic converter which means unleaded race gas (not as good as leaded race gas) - but with extra resistance to detonation, you could get a track day tune up a good deal more than the daily driven tune ;)

Well, Ive been talking to steve (turfburn) a little and my microtech is from PG originally. (I bought it from a forum member who bought it from Ken) They both live about 2 hours away from me(one sto the south, one to the west). I feel like I have prety good relations with both of these guys, ( ive bought from both of them almost exclusively) so anything I cant answer by searching on the forums is a short drive or phone call away. I actually feel really lucky to have found the forums/friends/help when I did.

The two tune idea is a really good one. The gas station right by where i work sells 104 octane race gas. The other tune would be done on premium, 93 octane. It would be cool to see the dyno difference as well as the 1/4 mile difference.

Last edited:
Im jealous.............

you'd of course be limited to fuels that are not going to munch your catalytic converter which means unleaded race gas (not as good as leaded race gas)

Test pipe for race days

I want to have everything done by the Wisconsin Spring Mazda Meet You guys will all have to come check it out for yourselves! Ken and Steve where both there a couple of years ago! (That means you too LW! Bring Twilight, I owe him a drink for the work he did with the cams!).

PS - LW, seriously though, the second I saw what twilight was doing I wanted to do the same thing... only then did I discover installshield's build and other NA awesomeness. So next time you talk to him tell him what he did has sparked this. (thread... build... dream... whatever)

Last edited:
I want to have everything done by the Wisconsin Spring Mazda Meet You guys will all have to come check it out for yourselves! Ken and Steve where both there a couple of years ago! (That means you too LW! Bring Twilight, I owe him a drink for the work he did with the cams!).

PS - LW, seriously though, the second I saw what twilight was doing I wanted to do the same thing... only then did I discover installshield's build and other NA awesomeness. So next time you talk to him tell him what he did has sparked this. (thread... build... dream... whatever)

haha, if i get around to jumping over the pond later this year i'll be hooking up with all the NA guys for some beers etc.

I'll let andrew know he's still appreciated around here though ;)

Hell if I can I'd definitely take a road trip to WI to meet everyone, would be cool.

Hell if I can I'd definitely take a road trip to WI to meet everyone, would be cool.

Hahah - well my plan is to holiday in NYC with my wife later in the year...and do some travelling around the states... obviously given that my wife ISN'T a car fanatic, getting her to let me spend outlandish amounts of time with you lot would be a mission....

plus obvioulsy i wont be able to bring the protege over :p

i gotta get a job first - we'll wait and see.

Im in Philadelphia thats only a 2 hour drive down I95 from NY

Last edited:
i think that the main reason that you would want to drop a new set of pistons in would be to lighten it up a little. if for no other reason than that.

Quote Ken from PG

"if you go with the FS-ZE pistons you cannot use aftermarket rods. the pistons would have to be machined to accept a floating wristpin or the rods would require machining. there really is no reason to upgrade to forged rods on most N/A setups. factory rods should suffice honestly."

but..... like LW said Peace of mind especially if you want to go well above 7250 (like to hit 200whp :) ) Remember Ken said MOST NA setups.

I have decided for my application I am going to leave the bottom end alone.

I have also added one more modification which I will announce later. I think LW may already have this in mind. ;)

Looks like from reading around 150whp is a hard mark to pass.

Back