Moved from a 2002 Boxster S to 2006 MS6 GT...my thoughts

So I recently acquired my 2006 MS6 GT from a Chevy dealer when I traded in my Boxster. I had been trying to sell the thing for awhile but the market for Boxsters is crap. You can usually sell the 911 variants for a good price and many of the more in-demand versions can become more valuable over time (911 Turbo or the Carerra 4S for example), but the Boxster is just so damn common (and for a Porsche, damn cheap) that it's easier to sell a Civic than a Boxster. So after 1 lowball offer to buy the Box and 150 scam emails later, I found this beautiful 2006 MS6 GT in all black with only 12000 miles on it. Still had the new car smell! Great shape, no accidents or bodywork. Flawless interior. 100% stock. Still had tons of tread left on the tires too. So the previous owner was probably a light driver. Why'd they get rid of it? Who knows. Life is full of mysteries.

Anyway, I've had the car for a few weeks now and I thought it might be interesting to share my thoughts on the differences between the two cars. I know, I know: This is not exactly a fair comparison as the Boxster and the MS6 are worlds apart in terms of design, handling, and well, just about EVERYTHING else. But after living with a Porsche daily for almost 2 years, I have to say that moving to the MS6 is like a breath of fresh air.

For starters, everything (and I do mean everything) on a Porsche is 2-10x the price of a normal car. Even a special edition version like the MS6. Brake pads, for example, cost $170 for the fronts and about $200 for the rear. And this is stock OEM stuff (the cheapest you can get). I've seen pads for the MS6 that are like $120 for the set from RPM.

Also, don't break your non-HID headlight. $500 each. If you break the HID one? $900. Don't have HID and want to add them? Well you can get the retrofit kit that will melt your headlight housings for $300, or just get the full HID kit for $2000. A broken window regulator/motor is easily a $500-600 fix. Torn CV boots? $1500. And the goddamn single-disc, crappy radio costs like $350 to replace. A $50 radio from Walmart sounds better. Oil change? $400 from Porsche. Fortunately you can do it yourself and thanks to the Boxster's 10-quart oil tank, you only have to change the oil every 15,000 miles (that I will miss). Standard, 30k mile service? $1600. Not to mention the problem with the rear main seal (between the engine and the transmission) that has this tiny problem of sprouting a leak and then suddenly blowing out and dumping all your oil onto the pavement. Oh and the Boxster engine is not rebuildable. You just have to have a new engine put in ($4000 easy).

I'm also estatic to finally have a car that does not take 10 minutes to open the engine compartment. Popping the hood and then "hey! there's the engine" is such a wonderful thing. And I've read the changing the spark plugs on the MS6 is kind of a pain, but the Boxster requires a lift and removal of both rear wheels, plus the willingness to sacrifice the skin off your knuckles while you pull the damn things out. Not fun.

As for comfort and features, Porsche has a very "a-la-carte" philosophy. There are so many options with their cars, it's almost unreal. There are 17 standard colors, plus you can take any color you want (literally anything) and say "I want my car this color" and they will make a custom color for you. For a price of course. :) Then there's 7 wheel choices and different finishes, 5 seats, 11 interior materials and colors (and yes you can get custom interior colors as well), then about 100 interior/exterior/engine/suspension options to choose. There are packages as well, but if you want very specific items, you can have it. Just goto Porsche's web site and build a car from scratch. You'll see how many options there are. It's insane. Of course this pushes the price WAY up to seriously silly levels very quickly, so most people have a base version with maybe 1 package. That's why I am so thrilled with how loaded the MS6 is in both trims. HVAC, Bose stereo, custom wheels, sport seats, steering wheel radio and cruise controls buttons, leather-wrapped shift knob, etc. It's a huge value.

Comfort-wise the MS6 is exponentially better than the Porsche. The seats are more adjustable and more comfortable. The stereo is like the difference between listening to an AM radio station on you grandpa's old radio vs. going to an Aerosmith concert. The MS6 does seem to be a little rougher than the Boxster during acceleration at at crusing speeds above 80 (I seem to have that oscillating vibration issue), but the Boxster had a lot of road noise over 65. Quiet for a convertible, but still it got annoying after an hour or 2. The ride is much more supple in the MS6 than the Boxster, but still stiff enough for my taste. Hitting potholes in the Box was like getting an uppercut to the groin sometimes. But you know what one of the best features is that was horrible in the Boxster and is like a dream in the MS6? CUPHOLDERS. The cup holders in the Boxster are these terrible little pop-out things that always felt like they were going to snap off and would slosh half your coffee onto the center console when you hit any bump larger than 0.0001". No joke, I kept a towel in the car for wiping up spills and throwing over the top of the cups when it got bumpy so i wouldn't have liquid splashed all over my legs. And they were so shallow that if you had to accelerate at all hard, you risked having your cups come tumbling out of the holders like an acrobat from Cirque du Soleil. Except they are full of hot coffee or soda.

Performance. Ah now that's so much harder to judge. 0-60 times for the MS6 are probably on par with the Boxster (which is impressive considering it weighs a lot more), at the top-end the Boxster would probably pull away as I think it has a higher top-speed (177 mph if I remember). I've seen 1/4 mile times for the Box of 14.2sec@99mph (which I think is about what the MS6 does). But get it in some twisties and the Boxster would leave the MS6 in the dust. That mid-engine design is so perfectly balanced that you almost forget you are in a car at all. That's probably what I'll miss most. There's nothing like a weekend in the mountains in the summer with a Porsche. However a weekend in the mountains in the winter with a RWD is a lot less fun. The 6 will let us go skiing and travel a lot more where we couldn't with the Boxster. That AWD is a major benefit for winter months when we head to the slopes. I'll have to swap out my summer tires, but oh well. As a daily driver the MS6 beats the Boxster hands down. More room, better ride, easier to drive, and hell of a lot better clutch. Though my car has had the clutch fix so i can't say what it was like before. But stop-and-go traffic with the Boxster was a workout for your leg. The transmission is smoother and snappier as well. Steering in the Mazda is almost effortless compared to the Boxster, though the Boxster does give you more information about what's going on so you feel a bit more connected. But the MS6 is so easy to steer you just think "change lanes" and *poof* it's done. The MS6 also has tons more grip. I've taken some of the more vicious highway on-ramp loops at the same speeds in both cars and I would get more tire squeal with the Box than the 6. But the Mazda definitely has more body roll. The Porsche would feel like it's almost leaning into the turn like a bike would.

Braking is hands down better in the MS6 than the Boxster. Not sure about brake fade, but the first time I tried hard braking in the MS6 I almost left my stomach and lower intestines on the dash. The thing stops scary quick. The Box will do 60-0 in about 122 ft. I think Motor Trend measured 113 ft. For a 3800-lb. car, that's very good.

That Boxster will not be my last Porsche. I'll probably get myself a nice 911 at some point, but for now I've hopped on the zoom-zoom wagon and haven't looked back. The MS6 is fast, comfortable, and dead sexy.

Welcome! Its not too often Mazda gets converts from Porsche, it tends to be more from the tuner compact crowd.

Should be nice to have people with a different perspective.

Welcome! Its not too often Mazda gets converts from Porsche, it tends to be more from the tuner compact crowd.

Should be nice to have people with a different perspective.

Thanks for the welcome. The think about Porsche is they have lots more fans than drivers. I am one of the lucky ones that was both a fan and a driver. And I still am. If I got 1 wish to pick any car where insurance, gas, maintenance, and repair costs were not a problem, it would be a Porsche. Most likely a 911 GT2 (the 997 version. For non-Porschephiles, that's the current gen 911. The project code number, 997 in this case, changes whenever they make a significant upgrade), or the GT3 if I wanted an NA car. I'm still a big Porsche fan. I love watch the American Le Mans races and watching the 911s in the GT2 class or the insane Porsche RS Spyder kick a** in LMP2.

I mostly moved away from Porsche for cost concerns. I decided on Mazda because I've felt that they have the best performance compacts and sedans on the market and their design engineers have been hitting bullseyes for years with both the interior and exterior designs. True, the RX-8 is a little weird looking from the side and the 6 errs on the side of caution in the design department but overall Mazda has had sexier cars than any of it's competitors for a long time.

I was actually considering the MS6 back when it launched and my friend was torn between that and the RX-8 (he went with the RX), but it was too expensive new. At least at the time and my financial situation then, it was. Plus I was lured by the siren song of the red and gold shield and top-down cruising and ended up behind the wheel of the 2002 Boxster S in Lapis Blue. Beautiful car and tons of fun, but if you don't have the $$ to fix them, it soon just becomes a nagging little worry in your stomach of "crap, what if X breaks? How will I fix it?"

I'm not much into the whole tuner thing so likely, this car will remain mostly stock. Maybe a few things here and there (new exhaust comes to mind to make the sound a bit deeper and replace those lame fake exhaust tips). Plus I would like to add a few mods to bump up the HP to the 300 range someday and reduce the body roll while cornering. Oh and I would really like some new guages so I can see things like voltage, oil pressure and boost. I hate the fact that most modern cars just have idiot lights rather than proper gauges. I had actually considered replacing the stock 3-gauge cluster on the Boxster with the 5-gauge one from the 911 (straight swap as the cars share a LOT of parts, including engines. Ever notice that whenever the 911 gets a bump in engine size, the Boxster does as well the following year? When they dropped the 3.4L flat-6 from the 911 and changed to 3.6L? Surprise, surprise! Next year the Boxster got a shiny new 3.4L engine).

Anyway, we'll see how things go.

Though my car has had the clutch fix so i can't say what it was like before. But stop-and-go traffic with the Boxster was a workout for your leg. The transmission is smoother and snappier as well.

My old GF had a Porsche 968, and that's exactly what the original Speed6 clutch felt like. More of an on/off style with very little engagement play, which is a PITA in traffic. It is much easier to drive after the clutch fix (IMO).

Enjoy your new ride. I hope you'll find the Speed6 more predictable when pushed to the limits due to the AWD. Its a great balanced car for all around driving and performance enjoyment. (burnout)

Interesting review but I never knew the costs were as ridiculous as you state. My previous car was a BMW 330i and I couldn't believe the outrageous prices they charged too ... got rid of that when the warranty expired.

Sounds like you'll be modding more than you think too. LOL

Interesting review but I never knew the costs were as ridiculous as you state. My previous car was a BMW 330i and I couldn't believe the outrageous prices they charged too ... got rid of that when the warranty expired.

Sounds like you'll be modding more than you think too. LOL

Yup. Ze Germans know how to make beautiful and phenomenally well-handling cars. But they can't seem to make them cheap to fix or maintain. :) Porsche is probably the worst in that respect. when I traded the car, the rear window in the Boxster had cracked, and that was going to be loads of fun to fix (why Porsche insisted on putting plastic rear-windows on it's convertibles for 5 years is a mystery to me).

LOL yeah I have a feeling I could easily get in over my head with mods. So there will be a limit to what I can do vs. what I want to do. For the most part, I will only do minor things here and there. I can live with the body roll and it has plenty of power for now. Might switch the exhaust to get a nicer look and sound as my first big upgrade, but as for all the turbo stuff and special gauges, that will probably never happen. But I can look all of the sick rides I've seen running around here and enjoy those. Maybe I'll learn enough to start thinking about upgrades. Maybe when the warranty expires. :)

Thanks for the great message about your observations and ownership issues with the Porsche. This chick I am dating is looking at the Boxter but now....

Oh, and you were "THIS" close to being cool...you should have got an MS3!

Thanks for the great message about your observations and ownership issues with the Porsche. This chick I am dating is looking at the Boxter but now....

Oh, and you were "THIS" close to being cool...you should have got an MS3!

Actually, my fiancee is looking at getting a Mazda3. I told her she should get an MS3, but says she doesn't need all that and would rather just have the standard 3. Meh, each to their own.

I like the MS3 and all, but I really wanted an AWD sports sedan. The lady and I love to ski and I wanted something that would give great performance in both winter and summer. Plus I love driving in the snow and nothing beats AWD for pure w00tness in the snow. So I considered the WRX, Evo, Audi A4 Quattro, BMW 325xi, and Lexus IS250 AWD. I eliminated BMW and Audi right away because I would have the same problems I did with the Porsche: Nice car, high costs. The IS250 is underpowered and while beautiful and luxurious, it's just too expensive. I'll never buy a Mitsubishi so out with the Evo. The WRX is a great car, but I've never really liked the look of it. Thus, winner: MS6.

Here's the thing with Porsche (or Audi or BMW). If you understand what you are getting into, they can be fantastic daily drivers and sports cars all rolled into one. You just have to be able to afford the increased maintenance and repair costs. I would recommend that if you want to go with one of these, make sure you always have at least $2000 in the bank dedicated to repair and maintenance costs. So if your GF is willing to spend a lot of time and $ on her car (and a Porsche will never let you forget about it), then go with Porsche. Also if she really wants one, don't get anything older than 2001. The best year is probably 2003. They bumped up the HP on the S to 258, added the glass rear window w/ defroster, glove box (yes the 97-02 Boxsters do not have glove boxes), and new rear spoiler. If she's serious about buying one, feel free to ask me anything you want about buying a used Boxster. I can also point her to some good forums just for the Boxster and Cayman.

Oh and one more thing: Due to the Boxster's differently sized front and rear, asymmetric, directional tires and negative wheel camber, you will be lucky to get 15,000 miles out of a set of tires if you get some high tread-wear ones. That means if you have to buy a new set of tires about once a year or more. The OEM tires last about 10,000 miles.

The lady and I love to ski and I wanted something that would give great performance in both winter and summer.

----------------------

Oh and one more thing: Due to the Boxster's differently sized front and rear, asymmetric, directional tires and negative wheel camber, you will be lucky to get 15,000 miles out of a set of tires if you get some high tread-wear ones. That means if you have to buy a new set of tires about once a year or more. The OEM tires last about 10,000 miles.

So, do you already know about the Folding-Rear-Seat-Mod? I don't know too much about skiing, though. So I'm not sure if skis would fit that way anyhow...

Also, there seem to be numerous Speed6 owners getting just about that from there stock Bridgestones. Mainly due to premature uneven wear on the outside of the the tire, which is caused by a the cars factory, unadjustable camber setting. With regular cross rotations, I myself have still have a decent amount of tread left after 12K miles, however.

Enjoy the ride, and let the modding begin!!

Last edited:
Wintermute, would you suggest getting a new one? That's what we were thinking for her. There is this limited edition one out right now (it's orange and her favorite color) that she is into.

If not a new one, she would probably be better off getting one that's 1-2 years old, right? I personally don't buy used cars anymore as I like to know the entire life of my vehicle and how it was really maintained.

Thanks for the advice/experience and you just may get a PM from me. (sun)

Welcome!

my brother has the carrera-4, he's gone for about 2 month in the summer and asks me to to drive it, because the battery dies all the time if not driven for a while. My take on it is, fast car, great handling, i love the fact that when picking up girls its a lot easier. but practicality is not good, hardly no room in the back, we live in Canada and even with the AWD it still sucks. and the worst part is the paranoia you have parking it anywhere. (the car belongs to my bro so im extra scared to park it sketchy areas), not to mention the price for parts and labor....!

i love my MS6 its sleek, sporty, suits the young or young at heart and is sooo much fun to drive!

Good review. I must now drive an MS6 and try these brakes...stomping the middle pedal in a Boxster S put my eyeballs into the windscreen, if you say the MS6 feels better...damn

That's quite a write up, but good read :)

I've always wondered how it is to own a Porsche

Welcome ! Enjoy your MS6...great daily driver...puts a smile on my face everyday while merging on the highway

So, do you already know about the Folding-Rear-Seat-Mod? I don't know too much about skiing, though. So I'm not sure if skis would fit that way anyhow...

Also, there seem to be numerous Speed6 owners getting just about that from there stock Bridgestones. Mainly due to premature uneven wear on the outside of the the tire, which is caused by a the cars factory, unadjustable camber setting. With regular cross rotations, I myself have still have a decent amount of tread left after 12K miles, however.

Enjoy the ride, and let the modding begin!!

I do know about that, but I actually have a Yakima roof rack system from my 2001 Honda Prelude that happens to fit the MS6 too. All I had to get was some new clips to attach it to the roof and viola! I'm all set.

But skis would fit just fine. They'd protrude into onto the center console armrest a bit, but it would work.

Yeah that was the Boxster's problem too. But add to that the inability to rotate the tires and it makes it even worse. Most guys I knew with stock tires got new ones after about 8k miles. Sad really.

Wintermute, would you suggest getting a new one? That's what we were thinking for her. There is this limited edition one out right now (it's orange and her favorite color) that she is into.

If not a new one, she would probably be better off getting one that's 1-2 years old, right? I personally don't buy used cars anymore as I like to know the entire life of my vehicle and how it was really maintained.

Thanks for the advice/experience and you just may get a PM from me. (sun)

Glad to be of some use!

Ah well the new Boxster is quite a different beast from the old. Ok so to be clear there are 2 Boxster revisions:

986: 1997-2004
987: 2005-present

The 987 is a much improved machine. Completely revamped interior, more powerful engine, restyled exterior, etc. Better in all respects. Porsche believes in evolutionary changes so while the differences are not drastic, they are there. When they are significant enough to warrant a code number change, you can bet there were quite a few upgrades.

The 987 has not changed much since 2005. However the 2007 S model now has the 3.4L 295bhp flat-6 from the Carerra (same engine as in the Cayman S). That is one fast car. So if you are going to go new, I'd go all out and get a 2007 S. And get one with PASM (Porsche Active Stability Management). It's a kick-ass system and greatly improves the resale value of the car.

If you want to find a slightly used one, anything from 2005+ should be good, though really try and get one that still has at least a year of the factory warranty left. One think you should know about Boxsters, is they do not hold their value well at all. A used Boxster can be had for MUCH less than a new one, more so than other cars IMO. That being said, if you want to go older get a 2003+ S model. I would not buy anything earlier than that.

I don't know anything about the RS60 (the special edition) other than they are only making 1960 of them, so if you got one of those I will request that you fly me out to wherever you live so that may be allowed to go pick it up for you and drive it around for a few...hundred...miles just to work out the kinks.

PM me if you have any other questions.

ha ha :) Well, I would let you drive it but since she always has me driving when I go up to DC to visit, I gotta say, fat chance buster ;) It's a nice car but after your stories of maintenance costs..eh. Got me worried and I know she would accept my advice. Personally, I want her to buy my cosmic blue 08 MS3 so I can get a white one but she isn't into it. She already bought my last car and is now looking at this one so, what can you do??

Thank you very much for the info.

Back