question about 2003.5 MS protege

stockae92

i am trying to figure how's it to live with the 2003.5 MSP as a daily drive

does it has a imobolizer for the engine?

does it has an incabin air filter?

is the kenwood headunit a direct swap with later kenwood units models (meaning the plug is the same and its basically a plug-n-play swap)?

how reliable/tough is the LSD unit, along with the drivetrain with slight mods?

i would imagine the oil change period is 3000 miles and the engine needs a new timing belt every 6000 miles

rear seat folds down (6/4)? is there a trunk pass through?

does the wing block rear view?

no side airbags, right?

thanks so much

Wow, a lot of questions...

No immobilizer, but that's easy to install

No In cabin Filter and it's very difficult to install one, but possible

Yes, the headunit can be switched out to any brand that fits the dimensions.

The LSD is great until you push the power too high, then it should be welded to prevent breakage. Light modding it's 50/50 on if you'll break or not..

Oil change 3,000 yes
Belts 60,000 yes....I'm sure you meant 60K

Rear seats and Rear wing......???? don't know 100% easy to check during test drive...

No side airbags..correct

is the kenwood headunit a direct swap with later kenwood units models (meaning the plug is the same and its basically a plug-n-play swap)?

i would imagine the oil change period is 3000 miles and the engine needs a new timing belt every 6000 miles

no side airbags, right?

thanks so much

1. don't know what you mean by that
2. don't have an answer for in cabin
3. the kenwood is a normal "aftermarket" radio. It already has the wire harness there, you just need to cut the wires and color code to new radio. Don't know if all kenwoods have a standard "jack" or not.
4. LSD is a pain. Most people lose them in the lower gears (higher torques). Mine lasted 80k before it broke. The general consensus is that the tranny will handle between 200-250hp (whp) before you run the risk of breaking it.
5. I had the oil changed every 3000miles, full synthetic. Not necessary (you can go up to 5k, but none-the-less). Timing belt I only changed once (it's a pain to get to the timing belt @ 70k miles)
6. rear seats fold down - 60/40. Don't know what you mean by pass through
7. The rear wing does not inhibit rear view. I've actually found that it helps me judge distance through the rear view.
8. no side airbags

i'm pretty shure the msp comes with immobilizer...or so i think..coz if the alarm goes off and you try to start the car, it won't start...

oh, lol is that what an immobilizer is?

Then, yes, the msp has one.... it's a kill switch built into the alarm.

thanks for the info

i think immobilizer is a device that detect a transponder in the original key

and unless the signal matches, the engine wouldn't start

btw, all MSP doesn't have sunroof, right?

none came with a surnroof. although i believe it was an option..maybe just too expensive?

That must have a been a dealer option, where they offered to install one at the dealership by cutting a hole in your roof. It was not available as an option from the factory.

no side airbags, right?

thanks so much

thanks for the info

i think immobilizer is a device that detect a transponder in the original key

and unless the signal matches, the engine wouldn't start

btw, all MSP doesn't have sunroof, right?

1)Yes there is an immobilizer built into the ALARM (not the key). if the alarm is triggered (IE breaking into the vehicle) the ignition will be deactivated. Likewise if someone cuts/removes the alarm module - the same ignition deactivation will occur.

2)No in-cabin air filter... I havent found a need for REALLY having one - so I could care less if it was present. A 2004+ Mazda 3 incabin airfilter can be retrofitted IIRC, but its a pain and TBH - Id rather live without the hassle of installing one.

3)I cant answer the headunit question for sure, but most kenwood models should atleast be similar in plug setup - HOWEVER, manufacturers have been known to change harness design quite frequently. The reality is if you buy another kenwood, you can buy the new harness @ the same time.

4)Trans and LSD is good until about 260-300hp. People have had mixed luck with LSD failure and it is recommended that if you want any kind of life from your LSD that you weld it, or just wait till it breaks and replace with a welded unit. I have been fine (so far) @ 80k miles with no replacement... Id say your average is about 50/50 split as far as who has and has not replaced theirs due to failure. Dont EXPECT failure, but plan for it (as with any vehicle that is modded, you should plan for failures).

5)Factory recommended oil change interval is 5k miles. That said, I do mine every 3k with fully synthetic motor oil. With any turbocharged engine, keep tabs on your oil and be consistant with oil change intervals.. ESPECIALLY when not running synthetic (which has a higher flash point).

6)Yes rear seats are 60/40 split bench. There is no passthrough.

7)Compared to other vehicles, this wing does not block any serious view from the rear window. Took me all of about 1 day to adjust to the rearward visibility. Just like what was mentioned above, if anything - it helps judge distance of approach vehicles.

8) though Ive read articles to the contrary, this vehicle was NOT available with side airbags as an option. That said - other members can attest to the crash worthiness of this vehicle. I hope to never see that day, but I feel confident with the vehicle's ability to protect me.

- as for sunroofs - no that was never an option. A very short list of people have added moonroofs, but they were all aftermarket and not offered/installed by mazda. Mazda's original intent was to offer no sunroof to preserve structual rigidity for slightly more aggressive handling.

i think the only problem with the wing is that is blocks me from looking at the pretty girls in my rear view. it always covers up there face

the sunroof was a dealer option for me. when I bought mine Iasked for one but they said THEY would install it. I was like what do you mean WE will install it. and I was like nevermind just give me the car

Yes. I've plugged in a XXV-01D (2005 model) and a X891 (2007 model) into the factory setup, no issues at all.

Back