2002 ES Starter Problem?

NauPruz

When I try to start the car, I hear a series of rapid clicks. It sounds electrical rather than mechanical. The first couple of times this happened, the starter spun a couple of times before stopping and going to the clicks, but now it just starts clicking as soon as I turn the key. There is no more starter sound at all.

I thought the problem might be with my battery, but I tried jump-starting the car and got the same results.

Anyone have an idea of what this problem could be? Does it sound like a broken starter, or something else? If it is a broken starter, what is the next step?

The car:
2002 Protege ES Automatic, stock
original battery, original starter.
38k miles

battery. try letting the not-dead car run and charge your car for longer. then get your batt and alt tested. youll prolly need a new batt either way wether u get it running or not

Is replacing the starter something I could do myself? I've previously changed brake pads, spark plugs, and oil on my own, but I'm not sure how complicated a starter change is. Any tools needed other than a ratchet set?

About how much should I expect to pay for a starter and where should I look for one? Are there 3rd party ones that might be better than the stock one? Should I avoid remanufactured ones?

Honestly dont know...sorry. I had the dealership fix it, as it was still under warranty. For me though when it happened the car didn't turn off when I turn the key. This happen a couple time, then it just wouldnt start.

Turns out it was the battery after all. I think the P5 had a bigger / stronger stock battery than my Protege. The new DieHard starts the car much faster than the old one ever did (instantly vs. 1/2 second).

At first nothing happened at all, but then I realized it was the annoying (and way too sensitive) alarm system locking the ignition. Is there any way to lower the sensitivity on that thing?

BUMP !!!! I need some help!!!

I just got this same problem today. Here is the info:

When I put the key in turn the starter turns over and makes a clicking noise. The radio and guages work but it doesn't even try to turn over the engine. I opened my hood and tried to see if the battery cables were loose, but after trying to move them they didn't budge. But somehow when I got back in the car and tried again it magicaly started up. I got to where I was going and parked the car. When I tried to start it up again it did the same clicking sound. The batterie was replaced at NAPA when I bought the car (about 2 years ago), but it was replaced with a smaller sized batterie then the original Panasonic. Take into account that I have a MP3 not an ES (I didn't want to start a new thread just for that) and the car has 100,000 miles.

Any help would be greatly apreaciated. I will get back to my car at around 7 and see if it works (but I don't expect it to). If not I will see if I can do a rolling start to get it going.

Back