Brake Upgrade DIY/info for the 3 gen 1.6LX 4x100 lug

biknman

:
99 1.6T Protege
For all my 1.6ers the following is brake upgrade information I've gained form modifying the brake system on the 3gen 1.6L 4x100 Protege.

This is just the beginning I'll be adding more information in the near future so subscribe:

FRONT BRAKES:
For the front there are several different options for bigger or better brakes for the 99-00 LX 1.6 Protege that came with rear drums.

THe first upgrade and the one most will find quite satisfying is to swap out the calipers and rotors for the ones from the same year ES 1.8L models. Which I've found on www.car-part.com for around $65 per caliper nation wide. This will give you a 1" bigger rotors and more available options for aftermarket rotors and pads. Reference http://www.protegefaq.net/ under Performance Mods then under Brakes then under For 3rd generations: “For models with rear drum brakes, the front brakes can be upgraded from the tiny 9.3" rotors to beefier 10.2" ones from a 99-00 ES or 01-03 DX/LX Calipers have to be swapped also.”

The following front big brake ( I'''ve used them all) kits are still available from /www.revolutionbrake.com (aka Precision Brake Company) see these link http://www.revolutionbrake.com/files/specialty-brake-kits-06-07.pdf under Mazda 99 Protege four lug also cut as pasted below. NOTE when they reference for use with OEM calipers they mean the calipers from a 1.8L ES 99-02 Protege which used a 1” large rotor than the 1.6L LX Protege.

www.revolutionbrake.com Kit P/n for upgrading the front brakes on a 1.6L LX Protege four lug. NOTE Must use the calipers from an 1.8L ES Protege where is states OEM calipers.

14-MZ-0016
PBC Front Kit - Mazda Protege (all 4 lug wheels), 99-02 - 310mm x 22mm, 2-pc. - Plain Rotors, Works with 1 Piston - OEM Calipers (not included), Brackets, Pads, SS Flex Hoses, Hardware, Instrux -Calipers available separately $916.50

14-MZ-0017
RB Front Kit - Mazda Protege (all 4 lug wheels), 99-02 - 325mm x 22mm, 2-pc. - Plain Rotors, Wilwood 4 Piston - Dynalite Calipers, Brackets, Pads, SS Flex Hoses, Hardware, Instrux $1833.00

14-MZ-0018
RB Front Kit - Mazda Protege (all 4 lug wheels), 99-02 - 325mm x 22mm, 2-pc. - Plain Rotors, Workswith OEM calipers (not included), Brackets, Pads, SS Flex Hoses, Hardware, Instrux $993.20

Last would be to obtain the Front Brackets and pieces from AWR see: http://www.awrracing.com/pages/pro/prosusp.html for more information parts please contact AWR.

Pictures form 2000 of the KVR bigger rotors and pads from Corksport for use on the 99 1.8L ES model Protege that I can now make use of after obtaining the calipers form the ES 1.8L form bone yard. FYI the 1.8L calipers are a direct bolt on to the 1.6L hubs.
47b7d736b3127ccebcd9e815728400000036100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

I touched up the ES calipers with some red caliper paint.
47b7d736b3127ccebcd9825272f600000036100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

Pictures of my 1.6 form Nov 2002 using 99 1.8L ES calipers and the 14-MZ-0016 kit allowing the use of two piece 310mm rotors under Rota 16" wheels.
47b7d736b3127cce98548aaa93c900000027100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

Piece in the Kit
47b7d736b3127ccebcd9ea9e720e00000036100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

47b7d736b3127ccebcd9dd51324200000036100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

Installing the kit
47b7d736b3127ccebcd9ea9bf33b00000036100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

Pictures of the 14-MZ-0017 kit installed in 2004 using Wilwood four psiton calipers and 325mm two piece rotors.
47b7d736b3127ccebcd9e3e232ee00000036100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

Picture of the extend Moroso studs I installed so that I could use wheels spacers to fit the 16"x9" Real Racing three piece wheels with 255 wide tries.
47b7d736b3127cce98548b24d3df00000027100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

Picture of the 14-MZ-0017 kits brackets used so the Wilwood four piston calipers and bigger two piece rotors can be used. Installation is time consuming and can be frustrating as presession washers (as spacers) in varying amounts have to be used to properly align the rotor with in the calipers on the brackets while maintaining clearance on all mounting hardware and the brake lines.
47b7cf33b3127cce985488d6cf9100000027100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

47b7cf33b3127cce985488d74ea000000027100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

NEXT Rear Brake Drum to Disc Conversions BBK.

Last edited:
Raer Disc to Drum DIY/info for the 3 gen 1.6LX 4x100 lug

For all my 1.6ers the following is brake upgrade information I've gained form modifying the brake system on the 3gen 1.6L 4x100 Protege.

This is just the beginning I'll be adding more information in the near future so subscribe:

REAR BRAKES:

Drums just don't cut it, so for the rear it's needed to perform a drum to disc conversion. The rear drum to disc conversions is not available as kit form anybody at the moment that I know of. It can be done if you’re willing, knowledgeable, and have the ability to do the work that required.

Two options:

Your own DIY custom kit as I did, for which I've provided as much information as possible so that one may try a replicate it. For reference information if you search the web you’ll find several write ups where folks have done a rear drum to disc conversions the same as I did, the following link is just one example in particular that is very similar the Protege. http://gglotus.org/ggtech/europa-rbrakes/rear-brakes.htm

Or try and contact AWR see: http://www.awrracing.com/pages/pro/prosusp.html obtain the parts from them.

For now 12/24/07 here are some pictures, I'll soon do a write up.

My own custom designed one off Stainless Steel 1/4" thick bracket and aluminum spacers allowing the use of a Wilwood NDL four piston caliper, AWR CNC rotors 4x100 hats for the 99 Protege with a solid 305mmx 9mm Wilwood rotor, with a Wilwood mechanical spot caliper as the parking brake and my custom design parking brake cable mount allowing the use of the stock parking brake cable.
47b7d701b3127cce98548a18417200000027100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

Showing the back side as if viewed form the bottom up Note the bracket for mounting the parking brake cable
47b7cc36b3127cce98548e7c208200000027100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

Rear drum to disc brake kit showing all the pieces. notice the custom caliper bracket and spacers for spot caliper
47b7cc36b3127cce98548e6fa1a100000027100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

AWR hats with 7mm spacer for proper rotor to caliper alignment with Wilwood solid 305mm diameter x 9mm thick rotor
47b7cc36b3127cce98548e6e209000000027100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

Spot caliper mounted to caliper bracket with 16.5mm spacers for alignment of caliper to rotor.
47b7cc36b3127cce98548e60209e00000027100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

Rear kit assembly minus spindle and hub
47b7cc36b3127cce98548e69a1a700000027100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

Preliminary drawing with info for making rear caliper mounting bracket for a drum to disc conversion on a 99-00 4x100 Protege. Soon I'll have a buddy draw it up and CAD and I'll post it here.
47b7cc36b3127cce98548e5020ae00000027100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

Drum to disc CNC brackets from AWR Racing shown with drawings of my custom brackets. You may be able to get from AWR Wilwood calipers with a built in parking/emergenacy brake to fit their brackets. Must also get from AWR their rotors and hats. To use the AWR parts you may have to fabricate the brackets to mount the parking brake cable to the calipers and obtain the necessary fittings to plum the flexible brake lines (or upgrade to Stainless steel) form the stock hard lines to the calipers. For more info contact AWR see: http://www.awrracing.com/pages/pro/prosusp.html
47b7cc36b3127cce98548e55a19b00000027100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

Last edited:
Awesome write up but I do have a question. Did you ever look into fitting Miata brakes. I don't mean the stock ones but the Willwood big brake series. I was comparing them one day and it looked pretty close but I never persued it. Just curious.

Okay, so I've read all of the FAQs and info... can anyone tell me if the brake calipers from a Protege 5 will work on a 99 1.6 protege DX? I looked up the part numbers and it looks like there are different #'s for the rotors differentiating the sedan protege from the wagon Pro5. HELP... I am definately doing the upgrade for the front brakes on my car and I need to know about the calipers/rotors ASAP. Thanks for your time.

bik, for just switching to the 1.8 caliper its just that right? buy it and bolt it on, get the 1.8 rotor. it doesnt need any type of adapter to set the caliper up 1" more?

Awesome write up but I do have a question. Did you ever look into fitting Miata brakes. I don't mean the stock ones but the Willwood big brake series. I was comparing them one day and it looked pretty close but I never persued it. Just curious.

Sorry I have not.

Yes

bik, for just switching to the 1.8 caliper its just that right? buy it and bolt it on, get the 1.8 rotor. it doesnt need any type of adapter to set the caliper up 1" more?

For the font brakes your exactly right, just buy the fornt 99 1.8L ES Protege 4x100 calipers with pads and rotors and bolt them on. And then of coarse attached the brake lines and bleed the system. Gives you 1" more of rotor diameter.

:)
Dave

thanks, I just want to make sure the spindle didn't have to be swapped over too, well i see my brake upgrade for this summer. Hopefully no more smokey brakes out on the mountain roads I love to fly down.

thanks, I just want to make sure the spindle didn't have to be swapped over too, well i see my brake upgrade for this summer. Hopefully no more smokey brakes out on the mountain roads I love to fly down.

Your welcome:)! For running the mountains, I'd also recommend getting some stainless lines and running some ATE or Wilwood brake fluid with a higher boiling point and changing it every year. Along with a set of performance pads that can handle higher heat. You may also consider fabing up some brake cooling ducts to the front calipers. No matter the brakes used under heavy conditions they will be used up so be prepared to replace the rotors pads and fluid often.

I go though a set of front pads pretty much every event and a set of EBC or Wilwood front rotors will last me about 6 events on my 3100lbs WRX. I hope to improve that a little with front brake ducts to both the front calipers and rotors.

Happy New Year!
Dave

yeah I have plans for pad upgrade, whats your opinion on Hawk vs EBC? also will brake ducts really help me that much. I was thinking about rigging something up from the fog light hole back next to my air filter(placed behind the wheel well plastic due to CAI) and then come out pointing towards the brake rotor and caliper.

yeah I have plans for pad upgrade, whats your opinion on Hawk vs EBC? also will brake ducts really help me that much. I was thinking about rigging something up from the fog light hole back next to my air filter(placed behind the wheel well plastic due to CAI) and then come out pointing towards the brake rotor and caliper.

EBC va Hawk which ever you can get the cheapest for you applications and use, their both great.

If you on the brakes making them that hot it will. Best thing to do is get some special paint (CDOC HRP WORLD Summit JEGS etc) they make for seeing what temperature your running. You brunch a little bit on in couple places on the out side edge of the rotor and some on the caliper and it will turn a color that corresponds with the highest temps the parts reached. Its a great tool just like a IR pyrometer is for ready tire temps to tune suspension.

Dave
Reference see:
http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=167,49,363_3811&action=product

[SIZE=+1]Genesis Technologies Brake Temperature Paint[/SIZE]

NEW IMPROVED FORMULA

Controlling brake rotor temperatures is the easiest way to improve lap times, by allowing the brake pads and rotors to operate in their optimal temperature range, therefore increasing the frictional coefficient and decreasing stopping distances.

Rotor and pad temperatures greatly affect the braking performance of the vehicle, too high of a temperature and too low of a temperature greatly reduce the frictional coefficient of the brake pad by operating outside of their recommended temperature ranges. Most race and semi-race compound pads require a temperature range of 300 to 800 Celsius.

The Brake Temperature Paint delivers the widest temperature range in one bottle. Temperature readings ranging from 0 to 800+ Celcius (0 to 1471 Fahrenheit) are displayed over a six color change from cold to hot. The bottle features a Metal Cap with a Horsehair Brush for quick and easy application on any surface, such as rear end housings, transmission cases, brake rotors or exhaust pipes. Packaged in a plastic carrying jar, the bottle also features brake temperature color code guide on the bottle for quick temperature reference.

Simply apply paint evenly to a clean, grease free surface, allowing to dry to touch, and to remove used paint off of surface, use a disposable towel or rag and wipe off remaining paint material

Complete Genesis Technologies Listing

Complete Brake System Listing

that paint looks pretty cool. I just need a decent brake setup for when im in spirited driving mode. I don't do heavy track driving, basically the only time I have braking issues is when I am on the mountain roads, mainly one, which has a few straights that lead into sharp and steep down hill corners, so heavy braking is performed on the approach. This past summer I experienced it three separate times.

Basically after the first couple turns I loose almost all braking power(Now I am braking hard, but also using my gearbox to help slow down too, usually from 75-80mph(Top of third) down to 45-50mph for the turns(down shifting into second while braking)), accompanied by smoke rolling from the front brakes. In your opinion, with just the 1.8l front brake setup and good pads I should experience this a bit less if it at all?

I know my main issue is having the heavy 18" wheels while I'm doing this, but I love the look, I love the responsiveness of the 35series tire and I just barely bought yokohama parada spec-2 tires for them.

Suggested reference materail

Hay I just got new book so if you really want to give yourself a head ache checkout this book I just got: The Multibody Systems Approach to Vehicle Dynamics by Michael Blundell and Damian Harty https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) I highly recommend it.

Everyone should have as a reference on their shelf Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams you can get it form [URL="http://www.motorbooks.com."]www.motorbooks.com.[/URL]

THe whole series of Carroll Smith's books like Engineer to Win see http://www.carrollsmith.com/main.html Every race car engineer/builder/tuner from the grass roots sprint car racer to a McLaren F1 Engineer has these books an their shelf I grantee. I've had them for years and have read them all at least three times.

Some other books I recommend form HPbooks: How to Make Your Car Handle by Fred Puhn and Brake Systems by Mike Mavrigian & Larry Carley. http://us.penguingroup.com/static/packages/us/hpbooks/race_chass.html

Also if didn't mention it everyone should have this link in their favorites for hours and hours of good reading and reference: http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/ground_vehicle/

Thanks
Dave

i know this is old thread but dose anyone know if the rear caliper bracket will fit a stock caliper?

Last edited:
Confused... what do you mean specifically? Are you wondering if there is moutning location in the rear that would work to bolt on a rear caliper? If so, the answer is no. IIRC you do not have rear discs in your ES, correct?

Confused... what do you mean specifically? Are you wondering if there is moutning location in the rear that would work to bolt on a rear caliper? If so, the answer is no. IIRC you do not have rear discs in your ES, correct?

this is what i wanted to do: i would like to up-grade to discs and i found this thread with the link (http://www.awrracing.com/pages/pro/prosusp.html ) to where you can buy a rear callper bracket. i was wondering if it would be possible to put this on my car, and beable to just use a rear calliper form a newer protege and possibly a possible a 4 lug miata disc/hub. i think that all the disc pros are 5 lug iirc?) but what you are saying is i would not beable to mount this braket to my car inorder to do what i would like to? thanks for the help

Last edited:
Wow, I never noticed that before on AWR's site. That's basically what I have... is a retrofitted bracket that allows me to have rear wilwood brakes. All 3rd gen protege w/ disc are 5 lug, yes. Miatas... I don't know if a disc swap between attempted between out two cars. If it worked you would for sure need a miata rear hub, caliper. I am not sure what else. Ask TheMAN or biknman... theya re your best bet for help.

Back