HOW TO: Stop stuff sliding around!

enganear

:
'08 Mazdaspeed 3 Sport, Sunlight Silver
I found some material at Harbor Freight that effectively stops stuff from sliding around and generally makes the interior easier to live with. It is called "72'' SUPER TOOLMATE NON-SLIP PAD & DRAWER LINER" and may be found at http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47408 . I use it in all my cars and it works quite well.

Here is a picture of the piece I cut for the MS3 instrument panel. It is blacker than it appears in this picture because of the flash.
2129801702_6d05f46717.jpg

I have never been able to dislodge the heavy Belkin radar detector or the cellphone I frequently place next to it with the most spirited driving.

I removed the ashtray and keep a couple of garage door openers in the cavity. Without the non-slip pad, these would constantly be sliding back and forth and rattling.
2129801680_be71d6b13e.jpg

The same material could easily be used to line the "secret compartment" behind the OBD port which would then be suitable for glasses, ipods or anything else you did not want to slide out. It cuts easily with scissors, is very cheap, and comes on a roll big enough to do your car and most of your friends cars as well. It can even be used to line toolbox drawers!(wow)
-enganear

That's looks damn good...If I only had stuff to stop from sliding, I'd be all over that...

That would be perfect to mount my radar detector rather then taking up the windowshield and getting in my way. Thanks!

That would be perfect to mount my radar detector rather then taking up the windowshield and getting in my way. Thanks!

I probably give up some detection range with the detector on the dash, but it has not been a problem so far with the Belkin 940. Just keep it away from the passenger airbag. I hope it works for you.
-enganear

Secret compartment template

The attachment to this message is a single page Word document that includes a full size scan of a template I made of the so-called "secret compartment". It is a very odd shape. You can use this to cut the anti-slide material of your choosing to keep stuff in place.

I put a garage door opener there.
-enganear

Attachments

• SecretCompartmentTemplate.doc
    424 KB · Views: 305
  • SecretCompartment.JPG
    SecretCompartment.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,750
HFT is cheaper!

Also, bring a printout from the net to the store to match the internet price.

Not if you factor in that it would cost me $7 in gas to drive to Oceanside versus driving right past the HD near my house...

Nice idea...

I found some material at Harbor Freight that effectively stops stuff from sliding around and generally makes the interior easier to live with. It is called "72'' SUPER TOOLMATE NON-SLIP PAD & DRAWER LINER" and may be found at http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47408 . I use it in all my cars and it works quite well.

Here is a picture of the piece I cut for the MS3 instrument panel. It is blacker than it appears in this picture because of the flash.
2129801702_6d05f46717.jpg

I have never been able to dislodge the heavy Belkin radar detector or the cellphone I frequently place next to it with the most spirited driving.

I removed the ashtray and keep a couple of garage door openers in the cavity. Without the non-slip pad, these would constantly be sliding back and forth and rattling.

The same material could easily be used to line the "secret compartment" behind the OBD port which would then be suitable for glasses, ipods or anything else you did not want to slide out. It cuts easily with scissors, is very cheap, and comes on a roll big enough to do your car and most of your friends cars as well. It can even be used to line toolbox drawers!(wow)
-enganear

but how does it handle direct sunlight and heat? The top of the dash get's pretty hot in the sun. Any ideas.

Nice application though.

I feel like taking this stuff and putting it all over my interior. Sorta what carbon fiber trim would FEEL like if it was 3D . . . and made of rubber . . . ?

The attachment to this message is a single page Word document that includes a full size scan of a template I made of the so-called "secret compartment".
I put a garage door opener there.
attachment.php

How many garage-door openers do you need, man?
You parkin' your car in all the ladies' garages?
No wonder you need to keep one in the "secret" compartment!

You are the man! ;)

Not if you factor in that it would cost me $7 in gas to drive to Oceanside versus driving right past the HD near my house...

Forgot to mention...

Maybe it's true for you.
But if you factor that I get them for free. HFT wins. :p

How many garage-door openers do you need, man?
You parkin' your car in all the ladies' garages?
No wonder you need to keep one in the "secret" compartment!

You are the man! ;)

LOL, man you made my day! Just two openers, one for the house & one for the shop.

My wife says "Are you having an affair?", to which I always answer, "What would I want with another woman in my life!"

That usually ends the conversation and I can go to the shop and get some work done!(burnout)
-enganear

My wife says "Are you having an affair?", to which I always answer, "What would I want with another woman in my life!"
What was Paul Newman's line when asked how he stayed faithful to Joanne Woodward and resisted all the starlets and fans who throw themselves at him? Something to the effect of, "why have hamburger out when you have filet at home?" Great line.

Back