New Protege5 owner with a couple questions

KZsigBZ

Hello all! I am the new owner of an 03 sunlight silver protege5. I purchased the car earlier today and I must say I am impressed with the car so far! I will post pics ASAP. As this is my first time dealing with a Mazda (previously owned a Honda) I do have a couple simple questions/problems to ask of you.

It is my assumption that there is only one trim for the Protege5? Therefore they all come with the 2.0 liter 130hp/135tq engine?

What size are the low-beam headlight bulbs? I was told by advanced autoparts it was 9003, but the bulbs I purchased (sylvania silverstar ultra) do not fit properly. I can not get the clip to fit around the bulb.

I'm sure I will have more questions to ask as I learn more about the car, but these are some off the top of my head. I greatly appreciate your help and look forward to conversing more with you all.

Cheers,
KZsigBZ

I dont own a P5 so I can't answer your question but I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the forum. BTW the 2.0 only dyno's at apx 100 HP. Turbo's are your friend!! ;)

Rob

Thanks! Although I don't want to add any mods that will void my warranty, so any mods I do decide on will be minimal at most. I assume the 2.0 engine is boost friendly?

Last edited:
Not at all, It hates boost and costs alot of money to hold the power. But once you are set up it is fun as hell ;)

Rob

Hello all! I am the new owner of an 03 sunlight silver protege5. I purchased the car earlier today and I must say I am impressed with the car so far! I will post pics ASAP. As this is my first time dealing with a Mazda (previously owned a Honda) I do have a couple simple questions/problems to ask of you.

It is my assumption that there is only one trim for the Protege5? Therefore they all come with the 2.0 liter 130hp/135tq engine?

What size are the low-beam headlight bulbs? I was told by advanced autoparts it was 9003, but the bulbs I purchased (sylvania silverstar ultra) do not fit properly. I can not get the clip to fit around the bulb.

I'm sure I will have more questions to ask as I learn more about the car, but these are some off the top of my head. I greatly appreciate your help and look forward to conversing more with you all.

Cheers,
KZsigBZ

Hey what up man. The bulb for the low beam is H7 bulbs and not the 9003 that they told you man. Return it for the proper size. The high beams are 9005 if I am not mistaken but it's rare to replace those since you don't use them that often. All protege5 engines are the same. The regular protege (sedan) comes in a few different trim. Hopes this helps. Feel free to ask.

Hey what up man. The bulb for the low beam is H7 bulbs and not the 9003 that they told you man. Return it for the proper size. The high beams are 9005 if I am not mistaken but it's rare to replace those since you don't use them that often. All protege5 engines are the same. The regular protege (sedan) comes in a few different trim. Hopes this helps. Feel free to ask.

Nice, A new member who answers questions already!! props to you man

Rob

I dont own a P5 so I can't answer your question but I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the forum. BTW the 2.0 only dyno's at apx 100 HP. Turbo's are your friend!! ;)

Rob

Already, the dark side tempts the newb....

Proper answers to the question include...Look in the manual, or use the search button...Being helpful and telling him the lows are H7 is just not right..

He asked a question and got an answer, Isn't that what we are here for? But yes the search button will help you tons ;)

Yeah, my internet sarcasm just don't work...Meant that was those are the usual responses, you know people being a holes..., and it's is good that people will just answer questions...

When you change the bulbs make sure you transfer the little plastic adaptor that goes between the bulb and the wiring harness to your new bulb. It took me a while to realize you had to do that, I was like a kid trying to fit the square peg into the round hole. And you will learn to hate the clip that holds the headlight in.

Welcome to the forums, many people will tell you that your silver is faster, but they are wrong. Red is best.

Yeah, my internet sarcasm just don't work...Meant that was those are the usual responses, you know people being a holes..., and it's is good that people will just answer questions...

On other forums you wold have probably got the answer, "see the FAQ", and that is it. The FAQ is very helpful though.

Thanks for all the responses. As far as color, my previous car was red and to be honest I wish the p5 was red also (laugh). The bulbs I will definitely return them for the H7s.

Cheers,
KZsigBZ

Welcome to the madness.

Sir Nuke said:
Hello and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to our Club. There are TWO BIG fridge'S in the corner with anything you can think of in them...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have.

make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!

My bad. Use the search tool for answers from now on because it works and most questions are already answered followed by 30 more postings. Have fun.

Thanks! I do agree the p5 is a stunning car. I find myself looking back at the car every time I park it and I just admire how it looks.

Cheers,
KZsigBZ

When I park my Mazda 3 next to my brother in laws P5, it's tough to say mine looks better. His is stock. :)

Back