contemplating a trade

02Protege'5

:
'02 P5
I own my 2002 Protege 5. Im going to be sticking around PA for the foreseeable future. I need something 4x4 or AWD. Im tired of sliding around on winter roads. the P5 is terrible in the snow, Im running stock sized Kumho AST's, awesome in the wet, and decent in the dry, my ASX's were better but were more pricey and didn't have as good of a tire wear rating. I dont know how my P5 would preform with a set of snow tires, im looking into that presently.

im rambling, so anyway. Im sure id love the added preformance of the turbo 2.3lt over the notoriously slow P5, not that im looking to alot of Zoom Zoom-ing.

anyone here recently go from a P5 to a Cx7?

How competent is the AWD system of the mazda? ive had quite a bit of experience with Subies AWD in the past, how does it compare?

I LOVE my P5, i cant really see myself driving something other than a mazda, i love the quality of the vehicles, and the sporty feel makes is a joy to drive, it puts a smile on my face every time.

I need a vehicle with a GOOD AWD system, my driveway DEMANDS it...

can anyone elaborate on the variable octane rating requirements for the '08 vs the '07? Im intimately familiar with a forced induction system, and how octane plays a part. im curious as to how mazda is engineering to prevent detonation with low octane fuels.

does the cx7 feel underpowered with a 4 cyl? even a turbo 4 cyl? i wont be modifying the engine, so im concerned with the stock 4 cyl power to weight ratio.

I traded an 01 Protege with the laughable and rare 1.6 liter, with 50k on the clock for a CX7. Not exactly a P5, but close enough.

The reality of driving in snow and ice is that AWD can provide significant benefits, especially from a standing start. It's also useful for rain and unpredictable terrain. You are NOT going to be doing Paris Dakar in the thing though.

As for power, it is pretty excellent - with the usual caveats of poor low end grunt and turbo lag. In the mid range however, and I mean freeway speeds, it's fantastic. I have given the odd Cayenne a heart attack and Lexus SUVs don't even try it.

To be honest though, the main advantage of AWD isn't performance for me, it's the fact that it lets me avoid chain stops. I hate putting on chains.

The CX7 is an excellent snowboard and ski lugger, with excellent interior space (for its size) and nifty equipment.

I got almost 6k for the Protege 1.6 too. Not bad for a five year old piece of crap.

The AWD system is excellent, though unlike the Subies, it sends 100% of power to the front wheels until it decides the back wheels needs some power too. However, unlike most AWD systems, the transition of power to the rear wheels can happen BEFORE they slip. The computer can sense that you are driving in a sporting fashion and send power to the rear wheels. It can also tell if it's slippery out and send power to the rear wheels before the front ones start to spin.

That being said, the OEM tires are terrible in snow. If your driveway demands AWD drive, you will most likely still need snow tires for the CX-7.

The Subaru AWD is always a full time system and shifts power front and back as needed. The Subarus' default front to back ratio is 60/40 so all the wheels are driveing all the time. The CX7 is a front 100% driver untill slippage is detected and then sends power(up to 50%?) to the rear wheels. I have driven both and while both are very good, the Subaru system is clearly the better system. Ed

Although snow tires would make this thing a beast in winter, they're not completely necessary. I'm in my second winter on the OEM tires and they're doing just fine for me (braking is the one area you have to be careful on with any all season tire on ice and snow, so it's very important not to follow anyone closely).

If I had purchased the CX-7 instead of leased, I would definitely have winter tires for it, but the added expense for a vehicle I'm using 2 years wasn't worth it to me.

from what ive seen on the forums, the protege 5s arent bad in the snow, im going to get a set of snow tires for the 'ol girl.

thanks for in input

I got the chance to drive a CX-7 at a Mazda Sponsored Event, around a timed cone course, and drove it very sporty, it was a blast to drive.

I had a 2002.5 Protege 5 and loved that car and would have no problem buying another. However the CX-7 is leaps and bounds beyond the performance of the good old Protege5, in every category except fuel economy and maintainence costs.

from what ive seen on the forums, the protege 5s arent bad in the snow, im going to get a set of snow tires for the 'ol girl.

thanks for in input

snow tires do wonders to any vehicle. With proper tires you can drive just about any vehicle in any situation (I'll even winter drive my Cayman S when I get it)

I agree with koala...snow tires make a huge difference on any car....I had the Protege5 w/o snows and it was just ok, then had the RX 8....like night and day with snow tires...it went from 0 drivability to 100% drivable. CX 7 reminds me of the Protege w/o snow tires traction wise.

lurking...anyway, might be looking into a cx7 when the ole explorer is done (@ 180k right now)..maybe this spring...by the way, with all season tires, my p5 is just fine, sun or snow!! anything i should know about the cx7 before the test drive..oh it's going to be my wifes daily...

Just get snow tires. The only thing you won't be able to accomplish with snow tires is getting out of a snow bank...but the snows should do a good job of keeping you out of them in the first place. Even my MS6 was horrible in the snow until I put a set of Dunlop WinterSports on her.

Mark,

Just keep in mind the CX-7 takes premium gas...something your wife may not like. The engine supposedly runs alright with 87 octane but you won't get much boost out of it.

Just get snow tires. The only thing you won't be able to accomplish with snow tires is getting out of a snow bank...but the snows should do a good job of keeping you out of them in the first place. Even my MS6 was horrible in the snow until I put a set of Dunlop WinterSports on her.

Mark,

Just keep in mind the CX-7 takes premium gas...something your wife may not like. The engine supposedly runs alright with 87 octane but you won't get much boost out of it.

just read that the 08 can run either or, but you're correct..no 93 no boost!!!

Back