Hey New England! Buy F'n snow tires or get off the road!!!!

chuyler1

goes to eleven
:
2013 CX-9
OMG! Why is this a surprise? It snows in New England! I don't care whether you have a pickup truck, SUV, or sedan. Get some f'n tires that will help you get home without stopping traffic for an hour!

(protest)

...and on a side note, my MS6 is unstoppable in the snow!!!

Seriously though...I could be in upstate Vermont after sitting in the car for 4 hours...but instead I made it from Waltham to Norwood on 128.

Sorry...I got stuck near the top of a hill on Rt9 this evening and held up traffic for 5 minutes because I was too much of a skinflint to shell out for some Blizzaks...F*ckin all-seasons!

I don't know about the rest of you, though, but I left my work in Norwood at 2:00 this afternoon and just got back home in Ashland at 8:45...

Incidentally, I also got stuck because the Benz (RWD) in front of me was spinning its tires at the top of the hill and I was stupid enough to help push. When I got back in the P5, she didn't want to go anywhere...

My tacoma performed flawlessly on all seasons.

Got home fine this afternoon.

Same thing happened to my wife. She got bored watching a bunch of monkeys trying to turn around an SUV in the middle of route 27 and decided to get out to help. When she got back in her P5 they had to give her a nudge to get moving again (and that is with snow tires).

Meanwhile I was stuck on route 1 south (after rolling from I-90 on 128S) because people couldn't get up the Neponset street rotory/ramp and both lanes were blocked.

I got out around noon and hitched a ride to Jess' office, and that took .5 hour. I could have walked faster. Then She got out a few hours later and our 10-15 minute commute took 2.5 hours. rt291 got shut down twice. we didn't actually get stuck until we got to our driveway. the park department guy was out plowing and decided to leave 2 feet of packed snow right at the base of our driveway. I would have been better off going to a bar, having a few beers and shoot some pool.

on the plus side, jess and I had a great time rocking out to 104.1. I still miss the old radio104, but the format satisfies my commercial A.D.D.

Snow driving pics from tonight.. see them all here.

Ready for snow:

Snowed in at work. The snow was to the door opening level... I opened the door and the snow was flush with door sills.

Triumphant backing out, only after rocking back and forth 3-4 times. No shoveling.

Parked at Doubletree to pick up katsmp3:

Plowed plenty of snow! By choice and by necessity! This is after driving 12 miles on 128 south and getting home in Waltham.

Since I came back home around 10:30pm, I had an amazingly stress-free drive today, at least compared to everyone else I know (who were stuck in traffic for many many hours).

We drove around in my friends Jeep watching people. We passed a stuck P5 and I found it kind of funny thinking mine was nice and safe in the garage! :p

i have NEVER seen traffic in boston like it was yesterday. i left umass boston at 1:45 and i didnt get home to brookline until almost 6.

p.s. thank god for blizzaks

So you must be still using the summer tires? ;)
No I've got my Dunlop Winter Sport M3's on now. Perhaps "unstoppable" was poor choice of words. I could take on a foot of unplowed snow without worrying about getting stuck. I passed a few people on packed powder back roads because they were going about 5mph and After sitting in a parking lot on the highway for 4 hours I just couldn't take it anymore. The car drives like a dream in the snow. You can feel the rear wheels working and ocasionally the back end squirms a little but only under heavy acceleration. Braking with the snows was good too. I didn't fell the ABS kick in at all...but I was being careful when I came to intersections and stop signs. I'll give Mazda a pat on the back for a very confident AWD setup...but I will add that the snows are a MUST because the stock rubber is about as effective as trying to pedal a road bike in the snow.

sudbury to waltham 10.9 miles = 2 hrs

the problem wasnt people getting stuck, it was people blocking intersections,
because apparently snow means the same as a green light.
awesome.

Another issue was everyone saying "Go home now!" They should have said "Go home at the usual time". What happened was the people who normally leave at 2:00 left at 2:00, the people who normally leave at 4:00 left at 2:00, the people who normally leave at 6:00 left at...2:00. Roads that normally clog up were handling 3 times the amount of traffic and then you add spin outs, people blocking interesections, and other mass hysteria and you get a 6 hour gridlock. My coworker said it took 6 hours to get from Framingham to Worcester on Route 9. She left at 2:00 and got home at 8:00. Ridiculous!

Thankfully i didn't have to drive into Boston. My colleague was stuck there with his son, and decided to stay overnight in Boston.

Driving into Providence was a pain, the roads was so rocky...hehehe...felt every rattle and noise from my car that my friend gave up talking on the phone at that time...

Was scary, other cars were sliding across me...arghh

I don't care whether you have a pickup truck, SUV, or sedan.
you mean my 4wd/awd won't help me stop? or turn? or do anything unless i'm giving the car gas trying to go forward in a straight line? no way!

not having snows and trying to brake is like putting a 20" ginormous brake kit on a car and then running a crappy walmart special tire. guess what? your brakes aren't going to help you stop any better than you stock brakes were because you're going to exceed your limit of traction. it's traction that you need in the snow, not the ability to spin all 4 wheels. all seasons aren't going to give you anywhere near the traction needed to drive confidently and safely. sure you can adjust your driving and make it but then you're going to fret every time you have to hit the brakes or turn. that said a truck all season with a deep tread and knobs will be way better than a passenger car all season but still nowhere near a snow tire

btw check out the video from cnn i posted in OT

up here wasn't bad but didn't get as much as you did back home. people were still driving slow but i normally stick to back roads for my 3 mile commute so it was fine. i'm glad a lot of people here who normally work OT left before i did so the parking lot was mostly empty :)

not having snows and trying to brake is like putting a 20" ginormous brake kit on a car and then running a crappy walmart special tire. guess what? your brakes aren't going to help you stop any better than you stock brakes were because you're going to exceed your limit of traction.

Precisely! Granted some SUV A/T tires have decent traction in the snow but most SUVs have glorified all-season discount passenger car tires on them. Most of the accidents I saw involved SUVs because they they had some false sense of confidence and ended up doing a U-ie on an uphill.

You know when you used to go sledding when you were a kid and you'd stick your feet out on each side to slow down? It never worked did it. You'd end up just jumping off. Well that's how the MS6 feels in the snow without snow tires. I know because I got caught without them when we had a clipper come in last March. I had no problems accelerating but as soon as I tapped the brakes the ABS light would come on and it was like watching a crash test video in slow-mo just waiting for the impact to occur. Luckily I made it home unscathed and this year its all about the snows. I've had snows on all my cars since going to college in upstate NY and I'll never go back to all-seasons.

I couldn't get into my driveway

Attachments

• 1214 snow(edit).jpg
    1214 snow(edit).jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 576
Yuck....You cape cod'ers always get the wet heavy slushy snow. That's no fun. I hear corksport is working on a plow attachment for the P5 though... :)

Back