12volt plug issue

Hi folks

I'm the proud new owner of a 2007 silver 5 speed mazda 5 from Halifax, NS, can.

My question is this:

I've already noticed that the 12v outlets do not stay powered when you turn off the key. This is kinda aggrevating when you're trying to charge your cell phone, your kids watching a dvd movie, etc.

Is there any work around for this?

thanks

Try plugging into the receptacle in the rear cargo area. It will stay powered up after the key is removed on the 2006 models at least.

the tailgate plug on my '07 is switched by the ignition too. yes, this is frustrating.

you'll have to rewire one or both. find power somewhere that's not switched or run a fused line directly to the battery. i'm tempted to do it.

Yes you could. I seem to recall finding a few unused terminals that had power all the time when I rewired my driving lights.

I guess bulwnkl already mentioned it, but the little lamp in the cargo area (see the pic, on top of the golf clubs) can be turned on without the switch key been on (06 and 08). I'm not sure if it will give enough current for your needs though.

komono_p7.jpg

My bad, 2006 and 2008 get turned off when the liftgate closes. It was my old freakin' car then. Ooops (crazy)

Scary to think of the battery totally drained because of a laptop left connected and downloading overnight via the car's 12 volt plug. I would think of some kind of timer to automatically cut off power after after few minutes.

Get the "add a fuse" kit from the local auto parts shop. I did this to my Saab wagon a while back...
5508.jpg

Back