Having Trouble Starting

jtom

I have always had this problem with my 2003 protege. I dont currently live up north anymore but was curious if anyone has these problems. When it got cold out and my car was sitting outside, it would not start. When it didnt start, it wasnt that cold, no other cars had these issues. I was throughly embarrased because at the time I had just gotten the car. Brand new cars should not have trouble starting because its cold out when everyone else is having no problems with their cars. I would normally have to turn the ignition several times and wait a very long time before it finally started, at which point the tactometer went crazy for a while before I felt safe driving it. However, a few times I had to call someone to pick me up because it would not start. I had it seen by many mechanics back up north and even had asked one down here to look at it, no one could think of a reason for it not starting.

I am planning on moving back up north but am seriously considering buying a different car for this very reason. I just cant afford to be late to my job because my car cant start when its cold. My trust in mazda quality has been challenged because of this. I was interested in getting a MS3 but am reluctant due to my cold weather experiences with my protege.

Has anyone else had these issues?

Thanks

Last edited:
i have 03 p5, sits outside ever since i got it, NEVER not started in any weather. And weve had some from friggin frozen tundra days, -15 last year, started just fine...well it turned over about 3-4 times more but still, it should be just fine you should get a more powerful batter/check out the alternator

it might be the starter. you can get a new one or you can try this magic touch. take the handbrake off and rock the car. some how you starter start and the car will work.

Mine, a 2002 P5, (and I live in Phoenix so it only gets down to about 40) hated starting in the cold even in Phoenix. It would almost sound like a choke problem but obviously it doesn't have a choke. EFI :) Definitely look into checking the battery and the starter. Parts, even straight from the factory, go bad. Don't give up just yet.

if you can hit the starter with a hammer do it maybe the solenoid is dirty or something give it 2-3 gentle hits... happened to me with the 2 others cars I had, a 92 protege se and a 93 altima se

starter at a wreckyard, 60$ ...cheap

You can also take your old starter to like Autozone and get a rebuilt starter for like $30. I did that and it work great on my other car

Right, i forgot about that....I really don't know. All i can think about really is choke and as I said it doesn't have a choke. Engine's take compression, fuel, and ignition to run...something isn't working and it's not compression. take the Spark plugs out and look to see if they are running lean(the tips are white) or if they are running rich(black and wet). It could be that your car is running to lean.

Back