Keyless entry problem -Advanced key system

MS6 - FNG

:
2006 MazdaSpeed6 #1901, Titanium Grey Metallic, No mods yet
I am new to the forum, and a new Mazda owner. Just bought a used 2006 MazdaSpeed6. It came with one "Valet" key, and one "Advanced" key. The advanced key battery seems to be good as there is a red indicator light that illuminates when a button is pressed.

The car does not recognize the key in anyway. I can not lock, unlock, or start the car without actually inserting a key.

Does someone know the proper way to reset/reprogram the key to the car??
Also, since I only received one "Advanced" key, does anyone sell them?

Some background: I went to the dealer today and one service rep tried placing the key in the ignition, then he turned it on and off 3 times, then he pressed the button on the car-door frame 3 times. This button is used to indicate that the car door is open, not to lock the car.
The car must have had the battery disconnected as the rear windows were not operating with the drivers control panel. I already found that fix in the manual, and elsewhere in this forum.
The dealer said a new advanced key would cost approx 250, plus service fee for programming - ouch!

I'm a good distance away from my car right now (in the middle of the Atlantic) but if you look in your owner's manual there is a section about the Advanced remote. I know I recently had to replace the batteries in both mine, even though the red light on the remote would light the icon on the dash would light up red, signifying it was not recognized. I would suggest trying that first, it's an inexpensive fix.

The car would have come with two of the Advanced remotes when it was new as well as the valet key. If you bought it from a dealer you might try pushing them to give you a second one. As for the programming it might be in the service manual, I'm sure someone on here who has one can check into that and let you know. Or you can wait until March when I get home!

Welcome to the forums by the way. Enjoy your Speed6!

Thanks ChiefMG - I found the Mazda Programming sheet elsewhere in the forum, and I tried that to no avail. I guess a cheap battery is the next step, then try programming again. If anyone else has a suggestion....???
Stay safe Chief.

Update

OK - I bought and installed the new battery in the "Advanced" key fob. I still get a good indicator light on the fob indicating transmission of signal. Unfortunately the car still does not recognize the key. I again tried the program function, which is essentially turn the ignition from LOCK to ON and back to LOCk 3 times, remove the key, then press the door button 3 times, and finally press any key fob button twice. No workie!

I have an appointment at the Local Mazda dealer tomorow. Gunther Mazda in Ft. Lauderdale. I have not heard good things about them, but I will see how they do. I am going to have the transaxel, differential, radiator, and engine oil fluids drained and replaced. I am doing this as a precaution as I just got the car from a used car dealer, and I notice a number of little things that lead me to believe the car has been run hard more than babied. Anyway, I want to make sure I know where my baseline is across the board.

Final Update - Case Closed

Took my car to Gunther Mazda for routibe service and check-up, and change of all fluids so that I have a solid base to work from. The gave me the service records that show all of the recalls and TSBs have been addressed except the clutch problem. Mine has no problem in that area. They had to give me a completely new "Advanced" key and program it as the original one I had was inoperable for an unknown reason. Anyway, all is working now, and I will monitor the car fluids for the next week to see if there are any unusual changes, leaks, whatever.

I was going to say, this should be covered by your warranty. You shouldn't have to pay a dime if it isn't working. Glad they worked it out for you.

Latest posts

Back