Downshifting while braking?

sfalexi

:
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
Reading the thread about whining in first, I started wondering if I was wrong to NOT downshift at all while braking. I simply brake very slowly (start braking way ahead of time) and gradually slow down to about 15 mph in which I put the car in neutral and finish the job. Whether I'm in 6th or 3rd or 2nd while doing this.

Is this bad? I used to downshift while braking until hearing on CarTalk that they recommended just staying in whatever gear you're in until 15 mph and then going to neutral. Apparantly it's so you don't put unnecessary strain on the clutch and gears while still being able to use the engine to help you slow down a bit.

Alexi

The brakes are designed to stop the car, not the clutch or gears.

Down shifting is handy if you need to take off again from a slow roll, its best not to go all the way down to first though unless your pretty much stopped. So use the breaks not the engine to stop, but do down shift (just push the clutch down)

if you rev match while downshifting there is no harm in it regardless of what speed you are braking from. If it was bad for the gearing you think overdrive would exist. How else would you overtake on the highway 6th gear is useless.

I have been using engine braking style stopping for 5 years now. In fact this is what makes a manual car way more advantageous then an auto in winter.

Back