rear shock

uncletime

:
2007 MS3 GT Black Mica
so i think my rear passenger shock is blown already. i have been hearing a noise in that area of the car every time i go over minor bumps and i finally decided to look under there to see if the sway bar bolt came lose like everyone else and i looked up and the shock was soaking wet with fluid that i can only image being the shock leaking. any thoughts ? could i be right? im going to the dealer this week but i thought i would get some feedback on if im right or not.
p.s car has 16k on it

If there are any fluids in the shock, then a seal broke...... then again, I'm not entirely sure if there is fluid in there... can anyone confirm this? Does the other shock have the same fluid spill look on it? Take it to the dealer, unless that is just splash from driving over puddles?

The fluid from a shock is going to be either heavy grease or hydraulic fluid. So if your whole wheel well and shock is covered in black grease or hydraulic fluid then you know you blew it. They don't have little drops or leaks when they blow its all at once and all over everything. Believe me you'd know.

But if you have a bad seal then it could be a sign thats its gonna go pretty soon, but i can't imagine it would after only 16k. I'd take another look and try and find out what the fluid is. Last thing you want to do is tell the dealer what you think is wrong. Becuase if its bad or not they will make you replace it and a bunch of other stuff. Thats how they work. Then again if you're under warranty then who cares :D Break it all!!!

its a thick substance on it .. t he whole shock it covered in it and nothing else around it is wet or covered in it..which makes me think that i didnt just drive over a puddle or what not... it is still under warranty so i think thats the best option is just to have them look at it... i have to go in for a couple other stuff including the two recalls i yet to go in for so while its in there i might as well have them look at it . the other shock is dry as well

Yeah warranty it up. If its thick substance then that sounds like hydraulic fluid. Those kinds of shocks tend to just run down the shock and cover it. but with the black grease ones just explode everywhere. Theres pictures of buddy on the forum that blew his k-sport shocks its vicious!!

::update:: brought to the dealership and turns out that i needed a new damper in the rear... it was covered under warrenty and is now fixed.

A bit of a thread jack, but I am in need of a rear shock top mount. If any one of you replaces a rear shock, I would appreciate if you save the old one. I will buy the bracket - name your price ... PM me.

Back