1.6l automatic transmission swap to a manual transmission

Protege-Fiend

:
2002 2.0L white Mazda Protege
so i was wondering if it was possible to do a manual transmission swap on a 1.6l automatic and if so how much would it cost and where would i b able to find the right kind of transmission would i hafta switch it to ...SOME ONE PLEAS HELP ME OUT

I recommend you sell your auto car and buy a manual one, because the time+effort is far going to exceed the value of your car. Okay, now that the obligatory smart ass response is out of the way:

You need:
-Pedal assembly
-trans (obviously)
-clutch assembly
-brake master cylinder from a manual car
-5-speed ECU
-clutch slave cyl
-clutch lines
-manual trans mounts
-shifter
-shift boot
-shift linkage
-shift bushings
-throwout bearing

I highly recommend you get a car from a salvage yard so you can get everything in one fell swoop, and buy aftermarket parts as you see fit.

This most likely isn't a complete list, I'm sure there are many threads about this, try using search next time, and when that doesn't work/ proves fruitless, make a thread.

Last edited:
im doing the conversion currently, so far this is what I had to get:

-Gas and clutch pedals with mounting, etc
-Tranny
-Clutch Master and Slave cylinder
-Clutch Kit (mostly comes with throughout bearing)
-Flywheel
-Clutch Lines (Hard and soft)
-Left and Right Axles
-Mounts:left and rear
-mounting brackets: rear ,left & front
-Few Minor dampers(cheappppp)
-Ecu is not needed but its good: Had mine rewired and plan to run a Emanage ultimate to tune the Rpm levels.
-Shifter with Shifter assembly,rods,bushings,boot,knob and mounting brackets(better to get whole assebly from parting car; think the ones from the 2.0l work)

Can't really think of anything else right now. If I do i will tell you

tell me how the swap goes, i wanna do it to mine too cuz everytime i race, i only get beat cuz the other car is a manual and they can shift when they want but i have to wait for it to shift. Also if you guys can give me an estimate of how much the total is to do it

auto is actually better minus the advantage of a manual having an extra gear, and beter dumpage from the start. u can try brake charging from the line too, but were not supposed to be discussing racing on here. :-Z

manual conversion

I'm doing the same conversion, I have been preparing for a extended period of time, however unlike you i don't plan to race, I have a 03 1.6 base model, when i do conversion I plan on removing AC then adding cold air intake ( currently have all water reservoirs removed made a difference), installing Mazda speed shocks and struts (mine need to be replaced so might as well upgrade) ,

I want to do the conversion because I have owned the car since new, motor runs strong only 115k however the transmission is acting up so i figure instead of investing in the auto I will go with a 5-speed conversion. I have searched for a donor car from which I will use so that way I will have all the miscellaneous parts which actually end up costing the most rather then the actual transmission itself. The Auto costs to ch on gas and significantly eats at the motors power.
Anybody have any objections to doing this conversion?

I'm actually in the final stages of collecting parts for the swap on a 2.0 engine. From what I've seen, knowing what parts you need to interchange between the two is the biggest thing. I'm sure if you find the donor car you could experiment and find out what needs to be swapped alot easier, but I suggest you do as much research as possible beforehand. From what I've read so far, doing a transmission swap on a 2L is almost a bolt on affair, with no splicing or heavy modification needed, but I can't say for sure for the 1.6Ls.

If any of you are still looking for a donor car, I have a 2000 mazda protege with a 5 speed manual. The clutch has went out but it has all the parts you need.

Back