Fan Control Module

orangefur

I have a 2003 Mazda6s with ~140K miles. I had the FCM replaced (or fixed or whatever they did to it) when the original recall came out. I got the notice about the second recall but didn't rush to the dealer. A month or so ago my check engine light came on so I when took my car to the dealer for that problem, I asked about the FCM recall. They were kind of confused at first, then said that it was actually a Special Bulletin not a recall. I wasn't having any issue with the FCM but they supposedly checked it, deemed it working well, and put a sticker on it.

In the past couple weeks, I have noticed that it is definitely NOT working well. The fan runs at high speed when the car is cold and also runs erratically after I turn the car off. Obviously I need to get this fixed but I saw somewhere that this part runs over $500. I just paid $500 for a new throttle body last month, plus I need brakes and a regular service, so I'm not really eager to fork out that much cash. Can someone provide with some ammunition to get the dealer to fix this for free or reduced cost? If there's no way around it and I just have to suck it up, tell me that too :)

Thanks!

Back