Cut the bumper support to expose my FMIC more..

Alright, so I spent about 3 hours total, not too bad I guess, to better show off the FMIC and of course create much better airflow, about 50% more to the intercooler.

Sorry, but all the pics I took today were from my cell phone, the gf has the digital camera for the week.

Attached at the bottom are pics from before...

Here is what I got done today, the side view pics are to show what a b**** our bumper support bar really is. It is somewhat a double beam... and I will be cutting the small portions of the bar that can still be seen with the bumper cover on, OR fabricating my own front grille to cover the top half of the bar and the sides. See pics, you will know what I mean.
I painted the bar gloss black so it would look less obvious, and once I get my Autoexe Lip, It should look a lot better :)

PIC-0113.jpg

PIC-0116.jpg

PIC-0120.jpg

PIC-0117.jpg

PIC-0119.jpg

PIC-0121.jpg

PIC-0122.jpg

The third from last pic shows the side view of the bumper support.
Let me know what you all think.

Attachments

• gt 018.jpg
    gt 018.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 334
  • gt 017.jpg
    gt 017.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 303
You violated the structural integrity of the vehicle. Pray that you dont get in a wreck. Also, the FMIC is not straight, looks like a hack job to me.

Sorry, you asked.

wreck would be bad, but its a good idea i suppose?

the intercooler is definately crooked. get it straightened out and get the black thing out from in front of it - then you'd be set?

You violated the structural integrity of the vehicle. Pray that you dont get in a wreck. Also, the FMIC is not straight, looks like a hack job to me.

Sorry, you asked.

very much agreed...looks very hacky because the intercooler is not straight...and you really compromised your front end...you cut out a lot of that metal, bad move just to see a little more bling.

I obviously know it is a risky move, as I stated in my first post.. #1 reason was to expose more of the intercooler, and increase airflow. It is a huge FMIC, and only about half was exposed.

The intercooler is straight, in the pics, I didn't install the mounts I have fabricated under the intercooler, I'll take pics later, need some daytime pics. Looks really weird without a grille. For now,I may just throw the factory grille back on.

Yeah, as I said, it isn't really complete. I need to fab a grille or cut the remaining pieces of the bumper support shown in the top corners of the bumper opening. There is about an inch and a half at the top of the opening which shows part of the bumper bar as well. I am throwing the stock grille back on, looks hideious in the daytime lol

i think it looks awesome just needs to be cleaned up and straigtened out a bit. I love the big front mount look and cutting the bumper support will not ruin the structural integrity it will just make a crash a lot less safe. I had no bumper support on my last car and it lightens the vehicle quite a bit.

BUMPER SUPPORTS IN U.S. SPEC VEHICLES ARE ONLY RATED AND TESTED FOR 5 MPH CRASHES!! THEY ARE THER TO PROTECT THE RADIATOR AND CORE SUPPORT, NOT YOU!!

Looks descent, but I would remove the whole bumper support, reposition the innercooler to be about 1/4" from the openning, and make a mesh grille painted black.

BUMPER SUPPORTS IN U.S. SPEC VEHICLES ARE ONLY RATED AND TESTED FOR 5 MPH CRASHES!! THEY ARE THER TO PROTECT THE RADIATOR AND CORE SUPPORT, NOT YOU!!

I beg to differ. This diagram from Mazda says differently.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 242
Yeah, like Forge Motorsport kits, I was at the Forge shop/warehouse a few months back and he showed me a FMIC for an A4, included a custom bumper support, fmic, piping, etc.

Again... third time, I KNOW this will weaken the front end and cause more of a risk. That is a risk I am willing to take. I put the OEM Grille back on and looks like it did before... and it is straightened out.

I beg to differ. This diagram from Mazda says differently.
Thats why I asked for a link to verify the statement.

Also...who in there right mind would buy a used car that a hacksaw blade had been taken to the front end???

Back