Aftermarket Fan Question

Concept MSP

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
I just finished installing the Corksport Radiator, and I also installed 2 aftermarket slim line electric fans. They have a basic 2 wire connection, so I wired them to the factory wiring. Something seems to be wrong though, because the primary fan is not turning on. When I turn on the AC both fans turn on and blow fine, but under normal idle the primary fan does not turn on. Water temps were up to about 200 degrees, and still the fan did not turn on. Any ideas?

Did you have the plugs switched around? Are both the plugs on both fans the same or is one female and one a male connection.

I cut the factory plugs off, and wired them together with male/female connectors. I connected colored wire to colored wire, and black to black. When they are on they are working fine and pulling the air across the radiator.

Wiring it to a switch was my Plan B if I couldn't get it to work with the factory wiring. Then I just need to make sure that I always remember to turn the fans on. I was hoping that with the factory wiring it would turn on when it needs to, like the stock one did.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

That seems very strange that the primary fan would not turn on when you just clipped off the connector. My only problem when hooking up the fans was wiring it backwards so the fan was pulling air out of the engine compartment instead of pushing air from the outside across the radiator. Check your wiring again, and is it possible that you blew a fuse that turns the primary fan on? Does the AC fan controller run through a different fuse?

I have them hooked up correctly, they are both pulling. The primary fan (driver side) and the other fan (pssenger side) both turn on when I turn the AC on. That made me think that it was not a fuse. I am going to check the fuses just to be sure.

I have them hooked up correctly, they are both pulling. The primary fan (driver side) and the other fan (pssenger side) both turn on when I turn the AC on. That made me think that it was not a fuse. I am going to check the fuses just to be sure.

That's why I posted the question, do both fan controls work off of the same circuit. Such as, "fan on when too hot" runs off of one circuit while "both fans on while AC is on" runs on a separate circuit. Brian will probably know, just have to wait for his answer or your fuse investigation.

One of the guys from a shop near me said that I could have air pockets in the cooling system that could be messing with the thermostat/cooling fan switch. I am going to try to let the car idle with the cap off to see if it might help get any air out of the system.

Back