Whine when downshifting into first?

dan1101

Has anyone else heard a bit of gear whine when downshifting into first while coming to a stop? It doesn't sound too harsh but it's noticeable.

Don't DS to first.. that's what Brakes are for..

Disagree, unless this tranny is designed a lot different than my Mustang or Contour, I've taken both over 150,000 on the original clutch (and engine and tranny) by downshifting as I slow down.

I'm talking when I'm going like 5MPH coming to a stop.

Last edited:
Has anyone else heard a bit of gear whine when downshifting into first while coming to a stop? It doesn't sound too harsh but it's noticeable.

mine does the same thing, and Im on my second tranny. Had it replaced at 1200miles.

hhmm... mine does the same thing, if im not mistaken, it could be the turbo making that noise when u downshift

2nd tranny? Do you think it was because of your mods?

No my throw out bearing was making some noise so they replaced it. When they drained the tranny for some reason they said they saw some metal shavings. so they wanted to tear it open. i said I dont want my tranny opened if it dont need to be. So they said **** it and just replaced it. i didnt complain. LOL(screwy)

gear whine is completely normal.... but I do agree that I would not downshift to first..... 2nd provides all the engine braking you need

That is stupid...you do not down shift into first no matter what speed you are at. What are you a nub. First is only used to start moving AT A DEAD STOP!!! Thats why you are hearing the whines. It is not normal b/c you do not downshift into first.

That is stupid...you do not down shift into first no matter what speed you are at. What are you a nub. First is only used to start moving AT A DEAD STOP!!! Thats why you are hearing the whines. It is not normal b/c you do not downshift into first.

You're not supposed to shift into first unless you're at a dead stop? I'll need a cite for that. I've been driving manuals for 20 years and have never heard that. MGB, Fiat 124, Mustang GT, Contour.

Back