HELP: Oil in comp. housing + shaft play

SleepyMSP

:
2003.5 MSP
Was going to finally get down to doing my stupid o-ring job but ran into an issue (forgot the o-ring a home) so decided to check out other things that have been making me nervous. So I pulled out the CAI and my hot pipe to check the compressor housing and found oil on both sides of the housing (inlet and outlet). At this point i'm thinking that there is really somthing not right here.

I decided to check the compressor itself for shaft play and I could wiggle it about 1mm from side to side.

So now i'm pretty much freaking out that my turbo is about to bite the dust.

now is where you guys come in, should I be really worried about the oil in th comp. housing or might this be a problem with the return line as I need to get the o-ring done? also is the 1mm worth of shaft play enough to need immidiate attention? or will it surrvive for a little while as I build up funds for a replacement T25 ( or GT28RS if i'm lucky).

the oil could be coming from the crankcase...its called crankcase blow by (usually occurs if you are running higher than stock boost)....thats why people upgrade to the krankvents system or a millenia pcv valve. I have the millenia pcv valve and still get a little blow by...im not worried about it...as far as shaft play i dont know if 1mm is much to worry about, but i am not 100% on that.

1mm side to side is not the end of the world. most turbos develop some shaft play with mileage and time.

the oil could be coming from the crankcase...its called crankcase blow by (usually occurs if you are running higher than stock boost)....thats why people upgrade to the krankvents system or a millenia pcv valve. I have the millenia pcv valve and still get a little blow by...im not worried about it...as far as shaft play i dont know if 1mm is much to worry about, but i am not 100% on that.

I'm not sure if the boost is above 7 but can't be sure as my boost gauge hasn't been installed yet (still waiting on my pod pillar... FOR LIKE 3 MONTHS!!!!), I checked the WGA to make sure it was still good, but with a hot pipe, CustomMSP IC and CAI its possible i'm putting down more

if it has enough movement that you can hear it scraping the housing i would be worried!

well the thing that started to worry me was that the other day I was driving and noticed the turbo's spooling sound sounded a little higher pitched than normal almost metallic in sound

If you are very worried about it, remove the Cold Side housing and look for signs of contact with the compressor and the wall..

I'm not sure if the boost is above 7 but can't be sure as my boost gauge hasn't been installed yet (still waiting on my pod pillar... FOR LIKE 3 MONTHS!!!!), I checked the WGA to make sure it was still good, but with a hot pipe, CustomMSP IC and CAI its possible i'm putting down more

you are probably running like 8 psi by now....I gained 2 psi after switching to the Turbohoses intercooler and hardpipes....and then another 1.5 from catless dp back exhaust and SRI

Thanks for the input guys, I'll pick up a Millenia PCV and check the turbo again in a few days for more oil.

As for the turbo housing I'll check it out when either I get a DP or the spooling sound becomes more metallic in nature....damn I hope not...

Latest posts

Back