Turbo manifold - T3/T4

It'll never crack from heat expansion. That's something I worry about with tubular headers, especially when a divorced wastegate is involved. It won't rust either, and it holds more heat, so the engine bay won't suffer as bad from losing the heat shields. And of coarse, bragging rights.

ya so i get bragging rights mostly. heat wrap it, and you'll be good. divorced wastegate? also i don't see that cracking too easily, but you never can tell lol.

Heat wrap = rust so bad it'll get holes within a few years.

He's doing a true divorced wastegate, which adds two more pipes that can (and usually do at some point) crack or snap off from heat expansion. Where I live (Missouri), it can be 78*F one day and 28*F the next. We deal with this for several months out of the year. Plus, you gotta add in the engine's heat from the trip to work in the morning followed by a good 9 hours of ~20*F or less during work during the winter, then reheating to go home... Do you know how bad it sucks to have to tow your car from work because your manifold cracked while you were inside working? Do you know how bad it sucks when you don't know about it until you start the car? Yes it will start with a broken header, I found that out the hard way, twice. Talk about a mess. I've had good headers for my evo from reputable companies get destroyed from this constant expanding/shrinking cycle that continues all winter long. Sure, they honored thier warranties and sent me new headers, but I still got stuck with the down time. I went through three different manifolds from two different companies before I descided to have one replicated in titanium. Didn't have any problems at all after that. Those breaks were all in the same year, by the way. I won't put a steel manifold this complex on my car, but I just might have it redone in Titanium.

On another note, titanium exhaust systems have a very destinct resonance quality that sounds very cool. It's hard to explain, you just have to hear it in person.

Last edited:

He's doing a true divorced wastegate, which adds two more pipes that can (and usually do at some point) crack or snap off from heat expansion. Where I live (Missouri), it can be 78*F one day and 28*F the next. We deal with this for several months out of the year. Plus, you gotta add in the engine's heat from the trip to work in the morning followed by a good 9 hours of ~20*F or less during work during the winter, then reheating to go home... Do you know how bad it sucks to have to tow your car from work because your manifold cracked while you were inside working? Do you know how bad it sucks when you don't know about it until you start the car? Yes it will start with a broken header, I found that out the hard way, twice. Talk about a mess. I've had good headers for my evo from reputable companies get destroyed from this constant expanding/shrinking cycle that continues all winter long. Sure, they honored thier warranties and sent me new headers, but I still got stuck with the down time. I went through three different manifolds from two different companies before I descided to have one replicated in titanium. Didn't have any problems at all after that. Those breaks were all in the same year, by the way. I won't put a steel manifold this complex on my car, but I just might have it redone in Titanium.

On another note, titanium exhaust systems have a very destinct resonance quality that sounds very cool. It's hard to explain, you just have to hear it in person.

i have carbon ti's for mufflers and i noticed the difference between them and hks's regular hi power ones a friend of mine had on his car.. its very little but its there so im hoping all of it will be available in titanium or maybe ill just have it done in titanium

Our divorced wastegate tube will be braced, so no cracking here. By the way, cracking is caused by heat X weight, not necessarily outside temperature fluctuations. As for Ti, were not dealing with aerospace grade stuff here, it is really only bragging rights. A Ti manifold is really really inefficient if cost is a factor. Inconel is your better bet in this case. I can build the manifold out of either for about $3000.

Even F1 doesn't use Ti, if that says anything :p

Well, cost aside, IMO titanium is the best thing to happen to exhaust systems since the O2 sensor. I'm not dogging your set up at all, in fact, I think it's the best set up so far for this car. I'm just expressing mypersonal tastes and trying to sqeeze out a quick quote for you guys to do it. Now that I got that out of you, I'll likely be purchasing your set up as is, and having the same guys as before do me a copy. I've known the guy that runs the place since I was a kid. He's good friends with my dad, so he hooked me up on that header for cost + beer, so it actually ended up a little cheaper than the original (which I ended up selling to get my money back). I imagine he'd do the same deal for me again, but we'll see.

i have carbon ti's for mufflers and i noticed the difference between them and hks's regular hi power ones a friend of mine had on his car.. its very little but its there so im hoping all of it will be available in titanium or maybe ill just have it done in titanium

sorry but the HKS hi-power muffler, hi-power TI, and hi-power carbon TI all share the same stainless steel body
the regular TI has a burnt titanium tip for looks and the carbon TI has the same tip but adds a wrap of carbon fiber for looks. No weight advantages to be had
If you want full titanium mufflers look to JIC Magic

Note to Fabricator X....may want to Patent this to avoid the dreaded copycats. Inconel eh?? DAMN!

I won't be copying for resale. Just one for myself. I'm not that low and neither is my dad's friend. He makes his living running his top-fuel drag boat and deffinately doesn't have the time to mass produce anything but fuel lines and fittings. Having one that I paid for to be copied for myself is not illegal, but I understand what you're saying.

oh i see, i wasn't aware he was doing it divorced. my bad! but yes i had a divorced on my MS6. and i never had rust issues with heat wrap, but my other turbo car is old and rusty anyways. not rusted through anywhere though, even after heat wrap for years.

i never had rust issues with heat wrap, but my other turbo car is old and rusty anyways. not rusted through anywhere though, even after heat wrap for years.

I'm glad to hear that because I wrapped my CS DP.

ATEballer, can you explain for me why you think this happened in your situation (the rusting)? I could see it happening if it was exposed to rain but the DP isn't & it gets pretty damn hot so even if it absorbed some moisture from the air, it would be gone in a flash ... just trying to understand this.

Search around. Alot of people with alot of cars get rusting issues from heat wrap. You can't know if it's rusting or not unless you remove the heat wrap, which, the only reason anyone would remove it is because it rusted through. My car doesn't get garaged hardly at all unfortunately, and moisture in the morning can be really thick and hazey where I live. My evo got bad rust on my downpipe from heat wrapping. The hood vent is right over the manifold, and when it rains, the tray doesnt really redirect the water anywhere, so it just drips down. I can almost gaurantee that any exhaust component that has been heat wrapped for more than a couple years and has spent a considerable amount of it's life outdoors in the elements has some sort of corrosion under the heat wrap. It's just one of those sacrifices you make to get that little extra benifit. The only way to have the best of both worlds is to drop the cash for something better than the norm. Some companies do that from the start, but most don't. I like titanium because it takes ALOT more heat than what our little turbo'd 4-banger can produce to cause any ill effect. In other words, it's for my own peace of mind.

Pheelthisvibe, is that a typo, or do you really have a true divorced wastegate on your MS6, or do you mean you have corksport's divorced wastgate piping? If it is a real divorced wastegate, I wanna see some pics/vids of the set-up!

sorry but the HKS hi-power muffler, hi-power TI, and hi-power carbon TI all share the same stainless steel body
the regular TI has a burnt titanium tip for looks and the carbon TI has the same tip but adds a wrap of carbon fiber for looks. No weight advantages to be had
If you want full titanium mufflers look to JIC Magic

theres a slight difference in sound between the mufflers although very subtle.. i did take a look at those JIC ones.very nice. maybe ill pick some up during next years build up.

intercooler and 2.5" piping done... this was a tight fit for sure!

plus a few pics of our new carbon fiber mirrors we have made for us...

It is tough to center it without cutting too much. We are trying to avoid using tight radius bends, which sort of impede flow, but we are working on different ideas.

what are the specs of the intercooler?

I noticed you are using stainless steel IC piping.....why?
just curious
Oh, and what size? Looks like 2.5"

Back