Protege5 rough idle / stalling

I am brand new to the forum, so please forgive me if I am not posting this correctly.

I have a 2002 Mazda Protege5 / Automatic Transmission. Over the past month, I have had a few P0300 (multiple random misfire) codes come up. Today I replaced the spark plugs and took the car out for a drive. It now seems that it has a very rough idle speed as I am slowing to a stop, and is almost always on the verge of stalling (but has not yet). This past week, the car had stalled on me at least twice when stopped and almost stalled while stopping at least two times before I replaced the plugs.

My next course of action is to replace the coil packs, as this seems a logical progression. Has anyone else out there experienced similar problems? Any suggestions on where else I might want to look?

Many thanks in advance.

Multiply cylinder misfire can be ignition coils more than EGR valve. Especially running a P0300. Did you reset the ECU after you changed the plugs?
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123614937

Switch your coils and see if the misfires moves with it. If so then replace that coil.

Coils can be found in our FS section. Here are some, and a couple EGR valves.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123688142

If it is both do a swap to the 1.8 ignition coil.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123662873&highlight=1.8+ignition+coil+conversion
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123650373&highlight=1.8+ignition+coil+conversion

Last edited:
I have been having the same problem for about 3 weeks and I just replaced my coils and wires yesterday. Going to test her out today, see if it helped.

Updated: That seems to have solved the problem, drove around for a while and did some stop and go, and then some stomp and go, and everything checks out. now off to get that darn TB gasket replaced.

Last edited:
same problem

had same problem but i cleaned my erg looks like new,, and wasnt hat it acually seemed worse, i resert ecu and than it threw a cel. cecked and it was missfire cylinder 3,,, changed coil pack and plugs all of the and works like a dream,, it runns better smother and more power, the only thing diffrent i had was the car was stuttering a bit and boggin,, almost like it wasnt getting enough gas or was runin out of gas,, well coil pc plugs and egr cleaning worked here,,,

EGR,

Mazda has revised the EGR. It now comes with coolant ports to reduce the heat that cause the piston to jam, and also a Vaccum assit port.

Its also a service bulliten if you throw a P0300 and P0401 (???). Also the piston has to be siezed. Its cover for 7 years.

When I get home I will post the #. As for the bulletin # contact your local Mazda shop for more details, as mine was not covered because I would not let them install it as I have too many mods for them to fudge up.

My P5 has recently starting a really rough Idle, almost like sitting on a Jackhammer. It's really not pleasant. I've changed the wires and just switched back to Iridium plugs today. I also cleaned the EGR. Still idles like crap. I think it might be the coils. :(

Sounds like you all are at the front of this seasons coil issue. Every fall threads pop up about ignition coils. After that threads pop up about catalytic converters and O2 sensors.

i cleaned up my EGR with some throttle body cleaner, it cleaned it a bit but it was still all black inside on the walls. I couldn't get the screws off though. They were too tight, I almost stripped them. It seemed to have helped though. If anything I might just buy a new one if its revised.

^^^^

that looks like a common 2.0L idle. if your EGR valve was open, it would drop to 400-500 and possiby bounce back to 750 then dump back down again. it would probably stall with out giving it throttle..........

-R

^^^^

that looks like a common 2.0L idle. if your EGR valve was open, it would drop to 400-500 and possiby bounce back to 750 then dump back down again. it would probably stall with out giving it throttle..........

-R

yeah but everytime that needle dips, its like cough. it sounds like a misfire to me. th ebest way i can descrbe it is like a boom. youd prolly hear it if it had sound. its not loud loud. its just a "thump" and the needle dips with it.

yeah but everytime that needle dips, its like cough. it sounds like a misfire to me. th ebest way i can descrbe it is like a boom. youd prolly hear it if it had sound. its not loud loud. its just a "thump" and the needle dips with it.

I'd be thankful to have an idle like that. You should see it when the EGR valve gets stuck.

Latest posts

Back