Squeak??? Front Driver's Side Please help!

Ebruess

:
Cosmic Blue MS3
I recently notice on my new MS3 with just over 1k miles on it (About two weeks worth of driving for me) and I hear this squeak every time the car bounces going at like 30-40MPH in my neighborhood but on the highway I have zero problems.
Anyone experience this problem?
It sounds like a bird chirping or a mice squeaking in the front driver's engine area and when the car is stopped I have tried to make it bounce and get it to squeak but nothing. I am kinda worried about it but hate to take it to the dealer before getting an opinion. (help)

First of all...Hello to the Mazda community!! I've been reading posts on this forum ever since I purchased a Speed3 in March (very informative by the way), and I'm finally coming out of the shadows and posting for myself.

Anyways, I've also started hearing what I believe is the same noise that you are faced with. I'll try to describe it in as much detail as I have noticed, hoping that someone reading this has experienced this same issue and knows or thinks they know of a solution:

Ok, so this noise, as Ebruess states, sounds like a bird chirp, or a mouse, or my personal opinion- a cricket chirp! It has become noticable since the temperature outdoors has dropped into the 40's. It seems as if the "chirping" will only occur after about 10 minutes into my morning or evening commutes, in other words, it is dorment until perhaps the car warms up. After this 10 min period, the chirps occur on just about every bump on city or highway roads. Some times just about any descent vibration coming from the car (letting off the throttle in the mid rpm range) will trigger these "cheap" sounding chirps.

Unlike Ebruess' however, I think mine is coming from the passenger side. I've pulled everything from the glove compartment, but had no luck finding it there. Although it sounds "similar" to a belt squeak, it only happens over a bump or hard vibration. I'm thinking its suspension related and will check the front sway bar's connection over the weekend.

Ok....so anyone have an idea?? Mods are MS cold air intake, AWR rear motor mount, TWM shifter bushings, and the motor mount recall has already been performed.

chirp sound too

I have started hearing a chirp/belt noise but not from hitting bumps. I notice it when I am in any gear right at 3,000rpm, if you let off the gas, there is a short chirp. So basically, I can make it chirp by both letting off and getting on the gas right at 3,000rpm. Now that I can re-create it with regularity, I am going to take it in. Sucks though since I only have roughly 6,600 miles and no mods. Anybody have any ideas about what it could be?

Hi, I thought this was already sorted out. In my car (08' MS3), the squeaking noise is coming from the seat belt. At first I thought it was my chair and maybe some springs down below.

Well, I grabbed the belt clip thing that's connected to the actual seat itself and where it bolts on, that part squeaks when you move it. I haven't tried lube or anything but that's the source of my squeak.

Maybe that's not your issue?

My "cricket" ended up being the center console panel squeaking against the panel it overlaps on the passenger side. I think it was derived from taking the center console out to install the shifter bushings. Must not have settled properly afterwards. I was going to take it apart or attach some foam material between the two panels, but ever since I gave the side of panels a few good slaps, the "cricket" has died. Turns out Mazda's "Wild Child" just needed a smack upside the head.

I understand there's several causes to similar sounding noises here, but if you're experiencing it over bumps and decelerating vibrations, and you've installed a short shifter or shifter bushings, just give your MS3 a slap!! Easiest fix ever!

I had a squeak too when hitting bumps, but especially when I turned the engine off. It was the muffler coupling springs under the car. Sounded like it was coming from the front left of the car, so it took me a while to locate it. It sounds like it is coming from the front left because of the driver side vents and window I assume.

Last edited:
A high pitched chirp/squeak over bumps is often the sway bar end links. See if you can find them, and if you have a torque wrench and can find a spec, check that they're torqued to spec.

I also had/have the seatbelt squeak, but it was pretty clear that it was coming from the interior and I figured out it was the seatbelt right away. If your sounds seem to be coming from outside or under body, they're probably something different.

Good luck! Squeaks and rattles can be very tricky to track down. However, dealers have extensive kits and are usually pretty successful at repairing them, so it might be helpful to take the car in.

Mine was coming from my ms cai. Try to have someone hold it while you turn the car off and see if it still happens.

i've noticed a squeak when I'm going over bumps on my 2008 mazdaspeed3.. it has 4500 clicks on it.. it stops after the car has warmed up but I don't think it should be happening. The colder it gets the LOUDER it gets.

Also.. it only seem to happen when both tires (both front and rear) hit a bump at the same time.. if its only one at a time I don't hear it.

Any ideas

i've noticed a squeak when I'm going over bumps on my 2008 mazdaspeed3.. it has 4500 clicks on it.. it stops after the car has warmed up but I don't think it should be happening. The colder it gets the LOUDER it gets.

Also.. it only seem to happen when both tires (both front and rear) hit a bump at the same time.. if its only one at a time I don't hear it.

Any ideas

My sqeak was the exhaust pivot joint right past the last cat. The joint is a strain relief for the exhaust to help compensate for engine/exhaust movement. The two flanges at the joint are held together by two springs over two bolts that keep the joint together, but let it move a little. There's also a thick, large gasket in between the two flanges. The squeaking comes from either the spring ends rubbing against the metal as they are compressed/decompressed or the gasket in between the flanges.

Grab your tail pipe and wiggle it up/down, left right and see if you can duplicate it.

Good luck!

Hi there guys, I actually just got my car back from the dealership to have the sqeak issue addressed. Come to find out it is indeed the spring hinges and the gasket coupler in the exhast. The dealership cleaned the gaskets and reset everything in the exhaust and the noise has not come back

one of the squeaks come from the seat belts rubbing on the seat if if you ratate it a little it should help.

Same Squeak

I recently notice on my new MS3 with just over 1k miles on it (About two weeks worth of driving for me) and I hear this squeak every time the car bounces going at like 30-40MPH in my neighborhood but on the highway I have zero problems.
Anyone experience this problem?
It sounds like a bird chirping or a mice squeaking in the front driver's engine area and when the car is stopped I have tried to make it bounce and get it to squeak but nothing. I am kinda worried about it but hate to take it to the dealer before getting an opinion. (help)

My car squeaks when I go over bigger bumps on the road. I can also hear it when people closes my rear passenger doors. the sound seems to be coming from the back of my car. But I can't seem to identify where it is coming from.
i hope someone might know what the problem is.
THANKS

Everyone passed over the most obvious source, a few weeks ago they handled it; the cowl over your front windshield is plastic, and in the cold weather it hardens up and will rub against the glass slightly; this can be fixed by putting some electrical tape beneath the lip of the cowl. Do a search...

Here you go, I searched for you:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123690919

Last edited:
The windshield sound is more of a plastic to glass clanking. The squeak most are referring to in this thread sounds more like a chirp. I've had both the windshield clank and the chirp at the same time. Totally unrelated too. The window I could deal with and yes there is a fix. The original chirp was my center console rubbing on an overlapping plastic panel on the passenger side.
But a few people have posted that its the exhaust bolts/springs and flange in the exhaust system.

Try kicking your exhaust tip when you get out of the car after its been squeaking. If it squeaks, its probably this flange, or exhaust hangers. I actually started getting the squeak between shifts once it got close to freezing or below outside, but it goes away after the car has warmed up.

Good Luck!

My car's the same. Hold the belt buckle and the squeek is gone.

Hi, I thought this was already sorted out. In my car (08' MS3), the squeaking noise is coming from the seat belt. At first I thought it was my chair and maybe some springs down below.

Well, I grabbed the belt clip thing that's connected to the actual seat itself and where it bolts on, that part squeaks when you move it. I haven't tried lube or anything but that's the source of my squeak.

Maybe that's not your issue?

squeak problem.. and not coming from exhaust or windshield

I pushed and kicked my exhaust no squeak/chirp.... i can totally hear the squeak/chirp when i close my rear car door.... it seems like the sound is coming from the rear passenger compartment, but i just can't seem to local where the squeak/chirp is coming from..
this noise is driving me nutZ!! Please advise if anyone has this problem and a solution for it.

THANKS!! :)

I think I have the same interior squeak. It is damn cold here in MI right now with tons of snow. Anyway, when I go over bumps and such through town, I hear a squeaking noise that reminds me of styrofoam on styrofoam. It's like the sound I would hear when I used to use a cheap styrofoam cooler for my beer.

Front Driver's Side Squeak

I purchased a new Mazda 3 last November and after a few weeks this annoying squeak started. It appears to be coming from below the drivers seat and just as Ebruess said sounds like a mouse. I did everything I could think of to find where it was coming from. But had no luck.
I took it back the dealer in January and left it with them for a few hours. When I went back to collect it they told me they had greased the ratchets under the drivers seat. I drove off waiting for this damn squeak to start again but it had stopped. Joy of joy.
Now nearly two months later its come back again and its driving me nuts. I love the car except for this mouse like squeak around the drivers seat area. Its got to me so much I'm even considering trading the car in.
I've looked under the driver's seat again and there's a cable under the seat. Does anyone know what its for????????
I'm thinking perhaps that some linkage to this cable could be the problem??????
(help)

Latest posts

Back