new owner..need a lil advice

dragtillidie

:
03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
just picked my MSP up last Saturday and I love it so far. I bought this after many years of owning Hondas cause i wanted something you didnt see everywhere. You see this thing waaaay less than Evo's and SRT's too which I like. Anyway, ive been readin as much as can on here and know all about the reflash. The dude i got it from said he already got that done. It runs pretty good but it still hesitates a lil bit for sure. Its all stock except for a Greddy cat-back with the resonater cut out. I am ASE certified and know that these are tricky to tune. Is what ive been reading true? Is that little hesitation just a known quirk until u can play with the AFR? Thanks for any help!!!

The tuning on the MSP's and most proteges for that matter is really bad. The MSP's run really rich and that hesitation I primarily because of that crappy tune. The reflash only advances timing a little bit but in my opinion doesn't really get rid of the bogging and hesitation. So the best way to fix that is with tuning, BUT unlike the Honda's(not hating) we really cant really use the greddy emanage, it was only done once or twice, or the apexi s-afc.

So your option when it comes to tuning are.
1.DSM AFC Controller- Cheap but only controls fuel. not timing.
2.Unichip- Does both but finding a Unichip dealer can be a pain, plus im not sure if its even available.
3.Microtech EMS- in MY opinion the best solution for the MSP when it comes to tuning. Lets you control fuel and timing.
4.Haltech EMS- just like microtech give you full control over fuel and timing.

i wont really worry about it then until I can get one of those...thanks i appreciate it!

With supporting mods you will lessen the hesitation also. With everything i have in my sig and a relocated maf I almost never have hesitation. Maybe 1 time this whole year have I gotten fuel cut.

With supporting mods you will lessen the hesitation also. With everything i have in my sig and a relocated maf I almost never have hesitation. Maybe 1 time this whole year have I gotten fuel cut.

Thats weird cause I was hitting major fuel cut at stock boost with my mods. But that would only happen over the winter when it was cold outside. I couldn't rev over 5k without hitting fuel cut.

In either case dragtillidie, good luck with the MSP and have fun with it.

well the MIL lit up yesterday so I went to the dealer since it was my day off and its closer than my shop. Dude showed me where the kid before ****** up the MAF connector a little bit and the ring for the stock air box was missing so it was reading wrong. He said he couldnt do anything to it because the kid before me messed it up. He let me root through a bucket O' connectors and i found a near new one. Soldered it together, heat shrunk it, and that was good to go. Then I went down to Auotzone and got a cone and a 8 inch 45 degree chrome pipe. Drilled it out for the IAT, slapped it together, runs PERFECT and sounds great too. Looks like I shoulda payed over 100 for it but it cost 35 bux. Also, I ordered the HIboost FMIC. Car already has Greddy catback. Can't wait!!

here u go...i have different rims on now..try to update
MSP2.jpg

really?...tell me where its 15 bux cause ill go buy it...i couldnt find one that cheap...lol..ur replay made me feel like a cheap ass....lol..i found them on ********** or PG for 40 bux or something..thats why i was like..."to hell with a piece of plastic"

ill call the dealer then..i know they are easy to put on..ive done it a million times...its just that a piece of plastic is last on my "to do" list

Where in Orlando? Think i saw you today. Not sure but i was coming down university towards UCF and saw a similar car parked at advance auto parts. Sound familiar?

good deal...we should meet up sometime so I can check out another MSP. Plus it would be nice to have someone local to bump heads with if one of us has a problem

thinking the same thing, i've seen quite a few msp in the central Florida but never really met anyone. do you live out by ucf?

yea...i was on the way home from work to my house in Avalon park...im also an ASE certified tech so i know about cars. This is just the first turbo I've owned (but i am familiar with turbos somewhat). U might have picked up some things on here that could be useful to me and I can work on ur car if u need someone

Back