Weird sound coming from engine bay...

serialtoon

:
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
I had about 4 people in my car and was showing them a good time (boosting...) and i notice that when i would get to a stop light, then continue to 1st gear...it would make this "Woooo" sound. Like metal rubbing against metal but ONLY when getting off first gear. This happen at random times and it almost seemed like it was the brakes letting go of the rotors as i disengaged them. Anyone have a similar problem? BTW, its been about 2-3 weeks and i never heard the sound again, but i do remember hearing it in when i first got the car. Right after a freeway run heading toward the exit.

mine made alot of noise when turning and starting to go from 1st gear...they changed alot of stuff on my car and it doesnt do it anymore. mine happend frequently

It happened for me at around the two to three hundred mile mark. I think its just stuff settling in.

It happened for me at around the two to three hundred mile mark. I think its just stuff settling in.
Yea at first it would do it sorta frequently...but now its like once in a blue moon. I only have 2700 miles on my baby and its an 08.

Hi,

I have an 08 MS3 and I heard that sound first when I had 3 people in the car, while turning sharply (and going very slowly) to my parking place.

Then a week later it happened again in the same spot, but I was alone, sharp turn sloooow, and there it was, the clutch was engaged - I think.

I have heard it a three or four more times only when turning right with brakes slightly pressed, but I can not "duplicate" it at will. I have 950 miles on it so far and I hope it goes away.

There were some theories that it only happened when the car was cold , but mine occured after a 15 mile run on freeway, so that was disqualifed ( at least for me). Yet I seemed to hear it when the outside temp was cold(er) in the 60's never when it was warm (70's and higher).

I also heard it might be power steering pump...but again it sounds as if something was rubbing - my car is all stock.

If you find out anything please let us know.

Best

It seems like it had to do with the brakes breaking in, if that makes sense. I would get a vibrating sound the first couple 100 miles, it went away overtime though.

My car just started doing this and I just hit 12,000 miles. Sounds like a metal on metal rubbing (not grinding), and it only happens when the car is hot and usually when turning taking off from a stop.

Back