Ipod Intergration w/factory Nav

that still sucks that there is no info on the screen nor you can change tracks from the steering wheel. Mazda is getting really far behind. Ford is getting ahead with the Sync. Geez, I'm really considering of changing the headunit by getting the Avic Z2 or the Alpine.

Having an aux-in is much better than no aux-in. This eliminates about 300 cds i used to have in my car to one ipod. Having no info on the LCD does suck, but I am just making lots of playlists, plus i put the ipod in the rubber area below the center stack so i can easily skip tracks w/o looking.

With the sound quality of the bose system, this is all I need.

Yup you are right but then...I'm using an FM transmitter, which, surprisingly provides crisp, CD-like sound thru the speakers. So an addition of an Aux IN is a relief but now you're saying that you can't even have a steering wheel control and LCD display is a lame attempt by Mazda. Since I get a nice reception using the FM transmitter, the aux jack they added doesn't provide me an upgrade.

to (re)state the obvious - FM transmitters, no matter HOW GOOD THEY ARE, will vary in success rate for some people. I bought what was at-the-time, the *BEST* one I could get - BUT... my daily commute to work was just under 50-miles in each direction.

The path traveled encountered SO MANY differing radio station frequencies along the route (I'm in the outer-fringe of the Boston area) which FORCED me to continuously (at least 5-6 times per direction) scan for available frequencies. It was WAY too-much work... and even if I took the time to hunt-down specific frequencies and STORE them as presets in the radio - the crossover points from one to the other were overpowering the little FM modulator.

For some, a good-quality FM unit may work just fine. For others (like myself) the are highly impractical.

Last edited:
you have a very good point about the transmitters. Even when they are working fine, the sound quality falls way short of CD quality. Having a 9 speaker BOSE surround system, why would you want anything less than the best quality?

This is why I am extremely excited my 09 has the aux-in so I don't have to burn a new CD every time a few good new songs come out. Even though you can't change tracks from the wheel and it doesn't display info, the sound quality is more important to me and I am more than satisfied with this addition.

I have spoken to the poeple at Maxdaparts.org, and was told that Mazda completely changed the head unit in the '09 CX-7. The new head unit addresses most of the issues owners have had with previous models. There is an AUX input jack which is accessible by the now-working MEDIA button. Also, the NAV is upgradable via DVD, which is now available. But most importantly, there is a new iPod connection kit that works with the NAV and keeps the Sirius. (not sure on what is displayed on the LCD or charging/lockout of the iPod).

I bring this up because it might be a possibility to update the head unit for those who are willing or who don't want to have to go aftermarket and custom fab the console.

For those of us who are not willing or able to do this, it still looks like the NEO is still the best way to go. I spoke to them, and they are working on a cable and interface that will allow charging and full connectivity for iPhone 3G's and the new iPods.

i have the dice kit bro, and im not able to use the controls on the wheel. but i dont mind since i have an older video ipod and it does not lock up. i just tried my girls last generation nano, and it tends to lock up. i also tried it with my buddies itouch and it locks up. so it really sux for the fact that you cant really search for music properly with the nav interface. does anyone out there have a solution for this?? also my cx7 is a 2007. thanks everyone

PODMAZR2V1 unit and steering wheel controls

I had an experienced installer attempt to place the recommended PODMAZV1 unit in my CX7, and the result was a unit that was undetected by my Bose/Nav system, although the iPod would charge from the cable.

NeoCarAudio has told me that they believe this model is the correct one for the CX-7, although every instance of a successful installation that I've read about seems to be with the PODMAZR2V1 unit instead. However, NeoCarAudio told me that this unit will not change tracks from the steering wheel controls.

Can anyone positively verify that the PODMAZR2V1 unit will change tracks from the steering wheel controls, as well as display metadata on the Nav screen about those tracks? I need to make a definite decision about which unit to order as a replacement for the defective unit.

Thanks in advance,

To control the NEO the click on the SWC is different than for the CDs and radio, the typical CD and radio click is: press, release.... with the NEO to advance once you set the CATEGORY to TRACK is: press, hold, release... you need to hold for a second before releasing, if you hold it to long you will skip 2 or 3 songs. It takes a little practise.

By the way, today I tried the press, hold, release from the SWC before waiting for TRACK to appear next to the time and temperature on the digital display and it worked, but always press, hold, release.

I use the PodMaz and the DICE cradle and I CAN control the track advance from the steering wheel. But it will NOT show meta-data on the display. (Allowed me to use both my iPhone & iPod in the same dock).

If I changed the DIP switches, I could get meta-data to the screen, but LOSE control of track forwarding on my iPhone.

---

Also - since I just bought the new 3G iPhone, just thought I'd share that Neo makes an adaptor that snaps between the DICE cradle and the multi-pin cable from behind the dash - and it allows NEWER iPods and iPhones to charge WITHOUT buying a whole new PodMaz unit. This was a saviour to me. It was the sole reason i did not upgrade my phone last year. I want/need to be able to charge the unit while listening and driving on long trips.

Kudos to them. Works like a charm.

Back