Engine block whats it worth?

Klip

Contributor
:
2006 MS6 Sport
I might be able to purchase a complete engine block for our MS6, 2.3 DISI (turbo) motor for $250.00 from a local mechanic. It DOES NOT have the following: Intercooler, Turbo and exhaust manifold and the entire intake manifold. It is just the complete block and head.
I might end up keeping it for project later but am thinking of auctioning it off to complete the mods for my current MS6.
I am curious what it might be worth? To my knowledge it is low mileage (under10k) with no damage at all. It was an insurance replacement job done thru a local Valvoline oil change dealership.
Just not sure what I am gonna do with it yet.? Any ideas on what it might be worth.?

you say complete block and head so im guessing that it has pistons, rods, crankshaft, cams and everything. If so, then I would wait until a few more ms6 or ms3 blow their motors and then throw it up for sale on the forum. Im sure you can get a few thousand for it. Be careful that nothing is damaged tho, otherwise youll be stuck with one big paper weight.

I am going to have my mechanic go with me to check this engine out before I do anything about it.

The story from the Mazda mechanic was that a local owner had her oil changed at a Valvoline oil change shop and brought the car back the same day complaining about the engine being covered in oil and a large puddle under her car. Just so happens that the Valvoline regional rep. was at the store and upon a visual inspection assured the Lady that Valvoline would take care of it.

Long story short (because I have no more detail) Valvoline's insurance company paid to replace the entire engine. The Mazda mechanic has been told by his shop manager to get rid of it or sell it, whatever, because it wasn't a warranty repair Mazda does not want the engine and it is his to do with what he wants. So he offered it to me for a few hundred bucks if I could haul it away.

Like I said Friday or Saturday the mechanic from the local custom shop I use here, is going to accompany me to inspect this engine before I possible buy it.

That is all I know ATM, as I learn more, I will post it. Also, as stated before, I will most likely sell it on E-bay or post it here for a reasonable price as I want to use the funds to complete my MS6.

I was only curious as to what the general opinion here was about the actual value before I posted a price or minimum buyout/reserve.

I will be asking the Mazda mechanic about a VIN number if thats available for further investigation of this engine.

Last edited:
you say complete block and head so im guessing that it has pistons, rods, crankshaft, cams and everything. If so, then I would wait until a few more ms6 or ms3 blow their motors and then throw it up for sale on the forum. Im sure you can get a few thousand for it. Be careful that nothing is damaged tho, otherwise youll be stuck with one big paper weight.

Yes, complete with all that you listed, the only parts missing were the Turbo itself along with the exhaust manifold, the entire intake manifold and the intercooler. I don't think the engine wiring harness was included either.

Again, I will be in having this engine inspected by a certified mechanic and as I learn more, I will post it.

I'll give you 250.00 plus shipping for just the head if it's in good shape and complete(cams/valvetrain included).

I wish I could find a deal like that. As was earlier stated, the valve cover alone is worth $250. Hell, the spark plugs are worth $70 retail...

I'll give you 250.00 plus shipping for just the head if it's in good shape and complete(cams/valvetrain included).

I won't be parting it out, if there aren't any problems after I have it inspected and it is as low mileage as the mechanic said it was, then it will be sold/auctioned as a whole unit.

You should keep it, forge it, and drop it in your car.

**or give it to me so I can try and drop it in the pro :)

I won't be parting it out, if there aren't any problems after I have it inspected and it is as low mileage as the mechanic said it was, then it will be sold/auctioned as a whole unit.

After you get it inspected send me some pics. I'm looking to build my motor, but don't want to deal with the downtime...Mabey I'll buy the whole thing from you..

ummmmm warranty repir or not there is a core charge on the engine block...be very careful as something seems fishy...

Well, I just got the engine unloaded into my garage, inspected by the mechanic that works on my car. Everything looks good.

The car was towed to the Mazda dealership from the owners house after she noticed Oil underneath the car sometime after she returned from the Valvoline shop. She called Valvoline to complain in a somewhat Irritated mood, they told her to have it towed at their expense to the dealership for inspection.

Valvoline sent an insurance/rep adjuster to the Mazda dealership to determine their liability and the Mazda mechanics told them the engine would need to be replaced because all the oil had drained out from the damage their tech had caused. (The stock oil filter gasket was partially missing) and that they (Mazda Dealership) would have to tear the engine apart to further access any damage to the engine but they highly recommended that Valvoline replace the engine. After an estimate was prepared by the service department, Valvoline authorized them to replace the entire block/head only and wrote them a check to replace the engine.

After getting to go ahead, the mechanic ordered the parts from Mazda and proceeded to replace the damaged gasket and fill the car with oil. He stated to me that he took the car for a thirty minute test drive and could find nothing wrong with the car, no check engine lights, nothing.

So, once I figure out whether or not I will be building this engine as my project or E-baying to finish my MS6, I'll post more later.

Last edited:
Here some pics of the engine sitting in the garage. Additionally, I found out the following: the motor came out of a 06 Mazda CX-7 that had only 6000 miles. It was her first oil change.

Enginepics005.jpg

Enginepics004.jpg

Enginepics002.jpg

Enginepics003.jpg

Enginepics001.jpg

Last edited:
Support me in a FS to MZR swap :) First one ever I would think.

lol. For real though, forge it and make your car fast as hell.

I have all the non turbo stuff to bolt on it if you need anything, It was from a 06 mazda6 wagon, some pumk kid drove mommies car and was 4k in neutral adn dropping it into drive, needless to say,........hole in block..... Anyway good find on that one, use it or call me and we can hookup and make something fast.....I am just down the road. God bless
Michael

Back