Another Turbo Bites The Dust..

LinuxRacr

Contributor
:
2001 Mazda MP3
Yep. My Potato is dead. Looks like my old oil line hasn't been feeding the turbo properly.

The turbo was whistling on Friday. When I got home I popped the hood, and sure enough, the familiar sound of bearing failure was there. I touched the oil supply line, and it wasn't even hot. Hmm..... When it cooled off, I checked for shaft play, and it was the same as with my old GT28R turbo when it died last year. I spun it by hand, and it felt horribly rough.

So now the MP3 is down....

wow...sorry to hear this. $1.2k down the toilet...I hope mine holds up. I have been pretty good with checking the oil often and the turbo shaft. I wouldn't be able to dump out money for a new turbo if mine died. I would just run NA till I could find a used one....NAH...credit cards FTW! Good luck. Let me know if there's anything I can do. Which isn't much considering distance. Sam should hook it up, hopefully.

Yes, I did use a restrictor. I am using the -4 Oil Inlet Fitting from ATP Turbo.

gtoilinlet035-01.jpg

they are designed to have a certain oil pressure. there are people who put a larger turbo on and dont use the oil restrictor. however, there are also people who do use the restrictor.

they are designed to have a certain oil pressure. there are people who put a larger turbo on and dont use the oil restrictor. however, there are also people who do use the restrictor.

Too much oil pressure = leaking oil seal.

Like I said maybe I don't know enough about turbos. I've never owned a turbo car so im still in the learning phases.. so I learned something new.

So how do you determine what reducer you would need for the turbo without giving it to much presure or if you even need one at all?

Sux to hear your turbo died, I have been running a turbonetcis T3 on my car for a while and I did not add a restrictor to the oil feed line. I thought about it but I was scared to restict oil to where it would starve, I left it alone and have not had any issues. Good luck to you, hopefully your able to find a replacement cheap.

thats really sucks....Go with a t3/t450trim or are you getting another disco potato?

Sux to hear your turbo died, I have been running a turbonetcis T3 on my car for a while and I did not add a restrictor to the oil feed line. I thought about it but I was scared to restict oil to where it would starve, I left it alone and have not had any issues. Good luck to you, hopefully your able to find a replacement cheap.

I too ran a T3 (first turbo) for years with no restrictor at all. Of course it wasn't ball bearing either. This is my second ball bearing to go. I wonder if that restrictor's opening is too small for higher RPM pushes?

Yes, I am looking for an immediate replacement as well. With this car, I am not looking for more than about 350 HP max. 300 is fine. Right now, my first choice is to hit up another GT28RS with a .64 turbine side. I want better mid-range power, instead of having it all be top-end. The .86 housing was good, but I didn't see 15 PSI until about 4500 RPM. I also don't want too much torque down low. I don't want to break s***. The .64 seems like a good bet. Anyone running the GT2871? What are your impressions of it?

Sorry to hear bout what happened man...kinda scares me a bit cause i'm going turbo soon. Just one question/comment...can't u rebuild ur existing turbo?

Back