Best 6x8 speakers for non-Bose system

06Si to CX-7

:
2007 Mazda CX-7
Hello audiophiles,

I am getting ready to replace the crappy factory speakers in my CX-7...they are the worst OE speakers I've ever heard. I want to know what the best replacements would be, keep in mind that I don't want to install an amp. I just want something that will replace the OE's and sound great out of the box.

My top choices so far are JBL pro series and Infinity Kappa or Reference.

For those of you who have replaced the speakers in your non-Bose CX-7, what did you get? What would you recommend for best overall sound as I'm not going to install a sub for quite sometime.

Last question, can I use either 2 or 4 ohm speakers? I've noticed the 6x8s come in both configurations...

Thanks,
E

I have two reference speakers that I had installed with my stock unit for a few months, Crutchfield said it was OK to run 2ohm speakers, and I experienced no problems, but others here on the board would advise against it. I have the reference speakers I'm about to put up FS, they were great, and they have rotateable tweets, which can direct the sound up, but not good enough for bringing the stage up. 2ohm speakers will draw more power from the headunit and make it louder. Again, I had no problems with the Infiniti's I had.

Oh, go for some Kenwood 6X8's, they rock.
If you want two ohm, the reference series is great, but they lack the Kenwood's mid bass extension, and again they will go louder than the Kenwood's.

Last edited:
So what is the difference between using 2 or 4 ohm speakers with the stock stereo? Pros/cons of each?

CX7 Love, why did you decide to take out the Infinity Ref. speakers?

Apparently, they say that the speakers will draw more from the head unit, and it will overheat it and cook the internal amp(within hours apparently), but I haven't experienced this, at all.

The pros of a 2ohm is that they will sound a lot louder than 4ohm, and the cons of the 2ohm is that they might distort more.

I took out the Infiniti's because they we're overpowering the other speakers, that run @ 4ohm.

4ohm's are safe, and safe to use when you upgrade to an amp.

Sounds like 4 ohms is the way to go, I don't want to risk anything like burning up my factory head unit. Do most OE stereos run at 4 ohms and aftermarket head units run at 2 ohms?

Is it more difficult to find 4 ohm speakers? I have noticed that most speakers I like tend to be 2 ohm.

Kenwood KFC-X680

From my research these seem to be the best bet for great overall sound w/out an amp or sub in my system. Anyone had any experience with these?

I have some similar to those, they're great.
4Ohm speakers are easier to come by, and most things run 4ohm, aftermarket amps is where you have to be careful with 2ohm speakers, they need to specify that they can run 2ohm if they don't they can't.

STOP!

The idea of "researching" a speaker is pure noobolity!
Hehe, making words up is fun.
In all seriousness, You MUST choose a speaker by going to a bunch of stores and actualy LISTENING to speakers. Everyones ear is different and so is every speakers. What my ears like, yours may not. Get to a store and take some cds you like with you. DO NOT USE A CRAPPY IPOD or MP3s, real CDs only.

Then buy what you like the sound of the best. You need to also keep in mind that you will LOOSE bass response with an aftermarket speaker unless you also purchase a quailty amplifier. This goes for any aftermarket speakers. If you do not want to deal with an amp, then restrict your purchase to under about $200 for the speakers and stick to coaxles.

JL, Infinity, polk, eclipse, and alpine all make a range of speakers that most people like and are very reliable. Most people when actualy comparing the cheaper crap from sony, pioneer, and kenwood to these other brands will quickly here the difference.

For the most part all speakers are 4 ohms. Unless using an amplifier, you CAN NOT use a 2 ohm speaker. It must be a 4 ohm speaker. again 95% of speakers are 4 ohms so unless it says 2 ohms there is no worries.

I seriously don't think that the difference will be heard on the stock head unit so the brand really doesn't matter. Just get the reference 6X8's and you will be fine.

I seriously don't think that the difference will be heard on the stock head unit so the brand really doesn't matter. Just get the reference 6X8's and you will be fine.
I really like the Inifinity speakers but the ones I've seen online are 2 ohms...at least the Kappas are. Are the Ref. almost indentical to the Kappas except for price?

Not at all, crutchfield recently sold out of those, which is why they're not on there, and why I said to buy them, was because I thought they still had some, but yeah those are good, I would buy them, and if not you can always chargeback on the credit card, or paypal. They too we're for sale at 59.99 on Crutchfield.com

I'm calling infinity tomorrow about the Speaker Ohm's because I'm getting nothing but conflicting information.

Last edited:

Completely inaccurate. Anyone would hear the difference between any given set of speakers with or without the factory deck being involved.
No matter what you do to them, a sony speaker will sound like pure crap to me, as will any kenwood.

If that where true, why not keep the factory speakers as they are more effecient and a better match for the stock deck since the sound would be no different?

Last edited:
Completely inaccurate. Anyone would hear the difference between any given set of speakers with or without the factory deck being involved.
No matter what you do to them, a sony speaker will sound like pure crap to me, as will any kenwood.

If that where true, why not keep the factory speakers as they are more effecient and a better match for the stock deck since the sound would be no different?
You are right, it's all about personal taste and everyone's ear for music is different. I have had Cervin Vega 6x8s in my last two Mazda/Ford vehicles and they were amazing! However, I cannot find Cerwin Vega car speakers for anything now...what happened to that company??? I would also agree that Sony and Kenwood don't sound great to me after hearing a few at the local Best Buy. They didn't have any Infinity Ref. though to check out, the Inf. speakers get rave reviews while all others tend to get mixed reviews so I'm leaning towards the Inf. References.

Again, anyone know what happened to Cerwin Vega?

I'm thinking of changing my OEM speakers as well, probably installing the Infinity Reference.

My question: Are the front/rear door speakers the same? That is, should I purchase four Infinity speakers (same model) or change only the front door speakers?

Thanks.

PS. Cerwin Vega seems to be in business.

http://www.cerwinvegamobile.com/mobile_audio.php

If you are going to swap them all atleast stay in the same brand. Better to stay in the same series. This way the sound is the same all throughout the car.

I typically leave the rears stock, fade most of the way to the front and amp my fronts as best I can.

You are right, it's all about personal taste and everyone's ear for music is different. I have had Cervin Vega 6x8s in my last two Mazda/Ford vehicles and they were amazing! However, I cannot find Cerwin Vega car speakers for anything now...what happened to that company??? I would also agree that Sony and Kenwood don't sound great to me after hearing a few at the local Best Buy. They didn't have any Infinity Ref. though to check out, the Inf. speakers get rave reviews while all others tend to get mixed reviews so I'm leaning towards the Inf. References.

Again, anyone know what happened to Cerwin Vega?

I think BB just dropped CV.
Circuit city carries infinity

OR, you could actually find a quality setup using 6.5" drivers and a decent adaptor made out of MDF wood.

In the 6.5" range, a plethora of good components are out there.

Also, and I've said it before, the stock speakers aren't terrible. The problem lies with the poor crossovers (they are simple 6db/oct in-lines), and the door resonance. The stock speakers actually sound decent with a better crossover (I tried it with my active crossover setup, not shabby once tuned properly.) Also, sound dampening will help big time. In fact, I wouldn't touch the speakers if you aren't also going to deaden the door with a proper dampener. Waste of time otherwise.

All this is running on the assumption that the CX-7 is sharing drivers with the MS3.

Back