what valve stem do i use?

i just ordered a set of tires from the discount sale and ommitted the valve stems when checking out. i did run a quick search to find out that they are schrader valves. are these just regular valve stems with the rubber grommet that fits into the rim, i tried to find some on ebay but couldn't.

i just saw a pic of the whole unit, do we reuse the stems or should they be replaced like the regular rubber ones? what seals the unit to the rim?

Our cars have "TPMS" (Tire Pressure Monitoring System?/Sensor?) units attached to the rim. I'm 95% sure the valve stem and the TPMS unit are one and the same.

Did you get rims as well? If not, I think you just leave the rim and TPMS as it is.

I've talked to a couple people at tire stores; they made it seem like removing the TPMSes is pretty straightforward (remove a nut and pull it off kind of thing). So, if you are getting new rims as well you should be able to get your stock ones off and reinstall them on the new rims.

I've heard that you have to do something special when you mount/dismount tires with rims that have TMPSes so let the shop know that they're there.

no - i just got tires but was just wondering because in the past with my other rides ive always changed the valve stem out when mounting new tires. is there a seal that i need to replace on the unit?

nope most that i have seen are a metal unit that have a nut on the outside and when u tighten that it seals it no need to change anything. the rubber ones are just pulled in and thats why the eventually leak the nut on these hold them tight

reset

They do need to be reset when changes stem or even rotating the rires. The key needs to be cycled a few and then let the car sit for 10 minutes, it's it the owner's manual for the whole procedure.

Back