Tint?

Metallic Tint interfers with naviagational system

Hello All,

I read that some tint would interfere with the navigational system. Is this true?

thanks,
thirdroute

Hello All,

I read that some tint would interfere with the navigational system. Is this true?

thanks,
thirdroute

IMO, no. I have metallic tint on my Cadillac STS, C6 Corvette, and CX-9. I've seen no interference with Nav in any of them.

I just had mine done. my guy thought it was 32% from the factory, but he had plates that we brought out to compare and we both agreed it matched with 22%. I can't dispute a meter reader, but I've had 20% tint before and that seems in line with what comes stock, so I'm inclined to stick to our (albeit subjective) observations. it just doesn't seem as light as 35%, but it could easily be 20 or 25 - the plates he had came from the Solar Guard installer kit and match their films, and each manufacturer has slightly different numbers/%s. he said he thought the fronts are around 90%, which I believe. definitely a noticeable although very light tint.

that subject aside, I had the side rear 4 windows done at 13%, which he said he calculates is a combined 7 - 8%. they are very dark, but not quite limo (5%ish), and I am VERY happy. I had the fronts done @ 50% which is probably a hair darker combined, and I'm happy with that decision too. In California I understand 70% is legal and I don't want to put myself at too much risk, but I did want a little shade to it and the added heat rejection. passengers can be clearly seen by cops, so I hope to stay out of trouble with it.

I have not had the rear window done yet. I wanted to see what it was like with factory tint only on the back. I've driven limo tinted cars before, and hated how dark they are at night. you learn to deal, but it's not my preference. the tint guy was skeptical at first, but even he was surprised that it looked as good as it did w/o the back done. it appears to also darken with the sides, but then his sales instincts kicked in and that was all I heard of that. but I think I will do a medium tint on the rear for the sake of the added privacy. the difference in shade doesn't bother me, but when I walk around the back I can clearly see in. this is not the case on the sides, where you need to walk right up to it and cup your hands around your face to get a good look inside. with the power lift gate preventing me from getting the cargo cover, this is important to me. Also, when you're approaching the vehicle from behind it looks like it isn't tinted, and now that I see how pimp it looks from the sides, I want that effect from the rear as well. I'm not sure what shade, but I'm thinking 32% at this point.

on a side note, I think the black/smoke color matches with the black cherry paint better than the factory tint, which appears to have a slightly brown shade to it.

the guy that mentioned green metallic tint... that's probably the Solar Guard 'Quantum' film, which my wife has on her galaxy gray (which isn't gray at all) civic. looks great on her car, but not on some other colors, especially not white IMO.

I'll post pics if there's any interest.

I In California I understand 70% is legal and I don't want to put myself at too much risk, but I did want a little shade to it and the added heat rejection. passengers can be clearly seen by cops, so I hope to stay out of trouble with it.

In Cali the rear and rear passengers can be as dark as you want. The drivers and passengers front windows can't be tinted legally unless it's tinted from the factory.

In Cali the rear and rear passengers can be as dark as you want. The drivers and passengers front windows can't be tinted legally unless it's tinted from the factory.

I was referring to the fronts. I've heard different answers from different people on it, but what I'm hearing now is, anything on the front is illegal.

I got pulled over for a rolling stop in Sonoma on Memorial Day weekend. he was pulling people over right and left, probably looking for drunks. he let me off on the stop, but gave me a fix-it ticket for the front tint. funny thing is, I can pay $25 for the ticket with proof of correction, or $164 without... isn't that bribery?!?

California vehicle code.

"26708.5. (a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply any
transparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, of
any motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces the
light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, except
as provided in subdivision (b) or (c) of Section 26708.
(b) Tinted safety glass may be installed in a vehicle if (1) the
glass complies with motor vehicle safety standards of the United
States Department of Transportation for safety glazing materials, and
(2) the glass is installed in a location permitted by those
standards for the particular type of glass used."

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708_5.htm

"Sun Screening Devices: Requirements
26708.2. Sun screening devices permitted by paragraph #10 of subdivision (b) of Section 26708 shall meet the following requirements:
(a) The devices shall be held in place by means allowing ready removal from the window area, such as a frame, a rigid material with temporary fasteners, or a flexible roller shade.
(b) Devices utilizing transparent material shall be green, gray, or a neutral smoke in color and shall have a luminous transmittance of not less than 35 percent.
(c) Devices utilizing nontransparent louvers or other alternating patterns of opaque and open sections shall have an essentially uniform pattern over the entire surface, except for framing and supports. At least 35 percent of the device area shall be open and no individual louver or opaque section shall have a projected vertical dimension exceeding 3/16 inch.
(d) The devices shall not have a reflective quality exceeding 35 percent on either the inner or outer surface. "

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708_2.htm

Last edited:
I had Madico Charcoal 20 installed on the front windows yesterday. Here's my immediate observations: In bright sunlight, it looks slightly darker than the rear passenger windows but in the garage, it looks considerably darker. My installer also noticed that the cargo side windows are a slightly different tint color to the passenger windows.

I'm thinking that maybe the rear passenger windows are possibly about 30% instead of the 20%.

We have the Liquid Paltinum Metallic and its getting tinted right now......I'm keeping the 2 front legal for Georgia ( not sure on %) and getting all the sides and back tinted a shade lighter than limo. I can get the % numbers when I pick it up. I did the front brow/visor too.

I was going to just get him to try and match the front 2 windows to the factory tint but for $100 more he said he whould do the entire car.

I could have done 5% all the way around b/c my borther is a cop but its my wifes car so I decided not too. I have a fullsized chevy truck with 5% on the drivers windows and over the factory tint in the back and it feels like a cave in there.....I actually think I saw a bat and one of those glowing worms in there one day.

I just tested the front and rear side windows with a tint meter. The front windows let in 77% of the light and thus block 23%. The rear side lets in 39% of the light and blocks 61%. Regarding the rears, it seems that a 38% light blockage tint (about 62% light transmission) was put on the stock window which already has 23% light blockage on it. So the 23% that is on the seemingly 'non-tinted' window plus the 38% that was added equals 61%.

Last edited:
Back