Swirl valve recall done today, they DID NOT replace the valve... wtf?

bast525

:
'07 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Just wondering if anyone else had this happen or if this is 'normal', or if I need to go back to the dealer and b****.

I got the letter for the recall which very specifically stated that the dealer would REPLACE the swirl valve and reprogram the ECU. I brought it to the dealer today and when I picked it up I noticed on the invoice it clearly stated that they INSPECTED the valve. I asked the service writer and he said that yes, they do not have to replace this valve if everything appears normal.

Now, I've never had the CEL, but I haven't had the car during any really cold months either (bought last March). It will be cold here soon enough... should I just wait to see if a CEL occurs or should I go back and start waving the recall letter in their face, or try another dealer?

If they inspected it and there was nothing wrong..Why would they replace it?

Why would you even want it replaced?

I am sure this wont effect EVERY vehicle involved in a recall.
I would feel lucky if I was you.

It depends on your build date as to which valve you have. If you have the upgraded one already, then they aren't going to change it. My build date is 10/06 and mine got replaced.

The didn't replace mine ether but my build date is Jan 07. So maybe I don't fall into the replacement period.

They did do the ECU reflash.

not trying to threadjack, but I think my dealer is blowing smoke up my ass... they said it would take 3 hours for the recalls to be done and I had to drop my car off @ 8:30am

how long did it take them for your recall?

My built date is 12/06 if I remember right. So maybe that means that yeah it already had the newer part. Dunno why I received the letter indicating I needed the recall then *shrug*. They did reflash the computer, anyways... I dont' know if it's made any difference, as far as MPG, tail pipe soot, or power though. For a brief time it maybe felt a little faster but it was very hard to tell and could have just been my imagination.

I won't worry about it either way unless I end up getting a CEL after all.

the recal took 45 min for me that includes reflash and part verification. no need for replacement.
im trying to find the sight that list the recal letters. check out thiss sight look at the repair procedure under mazda 3
http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/

Last edited:
mabe they should have replaced mine. I just threw the p2006 code this morning when it was cold. ehhhhhhhhhhhhh.... Ill go in on tue next week to get it taken care of along with replacing a broken plastic piece.

Latest posts

Back