Aluminum pedals

Nomad

Contributor
So I have a set of ebay aluminum pedals that I'd like to just throw on the car. Mainly it'll give the gas pedal a bit more "reach" to my foot for downshifting. The Miata was perfect but the P5 is too far away. Plus it'll give a little bit of style to the floorboard.

So do you think it'd be worth it to drill into the steel pedal pad to mount them or should I just get the little brackets that pinch onto the pedal?

I had these on my old Acura and was impressed at how sturdy those little clamps held it onto the pedal.

What have most of you done?

I think what i might do is get grip tape and cover the pedals, then add an accent color I can see throught the holes, just for kicks.

The pic of the cheapos I have is attached.

Attachments

• BP-MTBLUEv2.jpg
    BP-MTBLUEv2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Actually the "holes" have a rubber circle that protrudes from them so it's actually pretty good. The rubber got a little hard over time though and I threw them away.
That's why I was thinking of actually covering them with grip tape.

What about these... they have raised holes so might not be so slippery.

Attachments

• obx515g[1].jpg
    obx515g[1].jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 213
Those look cooler & should be better grip without covering them with anything.

Update,
Got these for $15, if they get messed up I'll try the others. They have a dead pedal too but I didn't put it on yet. THat's why I bought that kit, it's nice to have a matching deadpedal.
Cheap but at least they are more interesting than black rubber.

Gotta have some rice to be legit.

Attachments

• radio 014.jpg
    radio 014.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 195
  • radio 015.jpg
    radio 015.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Not sure how they are mounted, so it's pretty sketchy without drilling into the pedals.

Also, not sure they can be bought for $15. :)

Wish I had the shift knob and boot too.

Last edited:
No, these are mounted like your stock metal ones are at the top of the firewall up there. The pedal covers don't come off, it is one piece I think. You'd replace the whole assembly with this lightweight piece. That's the thing with pedal covers, they are heavy compared with the real deal. That changes the way the pedals react to your foot movements.

real upgrade vs. visual appeal, i guess.

BTW, the Redline guys seem to make pretty bad ass shifter boots and such for CHEAP. I'd recommend them, and I'm dying to get them on my car.

Updated final pic with deadpedal.

A little rice never hurt anyone...

Attachments

• misc 004.jpg
    misc 004.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 215
haven't had a chance to heel toe. The P5 has the gas pedal pretty low in relation to the brake. If I could adjust this it would be much better. In all reality, the gas pedal should have about 1/4 inch added to the thickness to hep bring it even with the brake. But hey, it's a commuter car, not like my miata. Any additional width of the pedal will help though, so I'm sure it will be better.

Update, it is better, I can manage a decent heel toe although it's not like the miata where heel toe almost happened without thinking.

The gas pedal could still use some adjusting up, or the brake adjusted down a bit.

I drove around for a while and coming home realized I had put on the pedals. I'd forgotten they were there and they didn't give me any adverse feel so that's a good sign.

Add a spacer on the gas pedal between the factory pedal surface and the new cover. Piece of wood maybe? If cut right and painted black, no one would ever know it was there.

I'll give it a little time and see how it goes. I have the perfect spacer for it too. I'll get some longer bolts too as the ones in the kit must be made from pot metal and are just long enough.

Back