Official Exhaust Thread

If everyone that has a pipe, post a little vid clip and pic, I'll try to collect them all together into one post.

Tylor

alrights thanks treflip
i talkd to sum ppl and yea the hi power is ok not too bad.

okay boys i recently had for an exhaust setup and OBX header and the mazdaspeed axelback, i liked it except for the annoying buzz on the highway. Now i just put on the corksport powerseries exhaust...OMG it is so fudging loud! ill prolly take a video of sound on monday, then once i get the cat welded in place ill take another one. As of right now its a nice sound, just extremly loud. to quote my friend "its sounds like a pissed off lion in heat!"

if it gets too annoying, i think u can put a resonator in. my friend had a 626 manifold wit the mazdaspeed exhaust. trust me it was loud haha. i think putting it in will make the drone go away? all i know is that its much quieter xP

heres the thread http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123677054&page=12 if u look around that thread, u can find where to buy it hehe

okay boys i recently had for an exhaust setup and OBX header and the mazdaspeed axelback, i liked it except for the annoying buzz on the highway. Now i just put on the corksport powerseries exhaust...OMG it is so fudging loud! ill prolly take a video of sound on monday, then once i get the cat welded in place ill take another one. As of right now its a nice sound, just extremly loud. to quote my friend "its sounds like a pissed off lion in heat!"

I think everyone with an aftermarket exhaust that did the install themselves should do a how-to write up in the process...This would really help I think alot for future reference..Blynd_spy is going to help out with a write up for my HKS Hi-power w/ OBX mid-pipe and when i actually do mine Im going to get more specific...Just an idea for everyone to ponder

Just installed my GReddy EVO2 cat-back tonight. I took TreFlip999's idea and took lots of pics of the install for anyone who would like a better idea of what installing a cat-back involves. I'll post a thread soon.

I'm really happy with the tone, install and gains in the mid and upper RPM's. It does tend to drone around 3.5k rpm, right around 80mph which sucks, but maybe it will even out in a month or so. I don't mind it but I'm sure my girlfriend will say something. Haha.

I'll post video tomorrow. I had a hard time finding anything online of the GReddy EVO2.
ps- if anyone wants to buy the two remaining Corksport urethane exhaust hangers for $20 shipped, let me know.

exhaust.gif

exhast2.gif

exhaust3.gif

casie.gif

(GReddy + Corksport = shop dog approved.)

Just installed my GReddy EVO2 cat-back tonight. I took TreFlip999's idea and took lots of pics of the install for anyone who would like a better idea of what installing a cat-back involves. I'll post a thread soon.

I'm really happy with the tone, install and gains in the mid and upper RPM's. It does tend to drone around 3.5k rpm, right around 80mph which sucks, but maybe it will even out in a month or so. I don't mind it but I'm sure my girlfriend will say something. Haha.

I'll post video tomorrow. I had a hard time finding anything online of the GReddy EVO2.
ps- if anyone wants to buy the two remaining Corksport urethane exhaust hangers for $20 shipped, let me know.

exhaust.gif

exhast2.gif

exhaust3.gif

casie.gif

(GReddy + Corksport = shop dog approved.)

You think it drones??? I dont. Well maybe if you stay in a low gear at high rpms, but otherwise i think its quiet. I do have almost $1500 in a stereo system which is probably why i cant hear it. I Love it

Last edited:
Well I might as well contribute. I've had two aftermarket exhausts on the P5 since I've owned it - the Magnaflow and the Corksport.

First up is the Magnaflow. I bought this before I really knew anything about the car but apparently I made I really good choice. Overall the fit was perfect and the slip-fittings made it easy to line everything up just right. Sound-wise the Magnaflow was great. Good low rumble at low RPM and never buzzed at all. It had a slight drone at highway speeds but nothing the radio couldn't drown out :). Later on I added a 2.5" MAM catted midpipe which didn't change anything too much. I little more low end grumble but nothing more.

My second and current exhaust is the Corksport. Bare in mind this replaces everything from the factory j-pipe back. The CS is 2.4" so it is larger than the Magnaflow and it is also a "canister" style exhaust so I knew it was going to be louder. Overall I am pleased with this exhaust. It is definitely louder - but it doesn't buzz at all. Low end rumble is even deeper than the Magnaflow. Sound and performance-wise, the CS is great. There downsides are the fit and the droning. Obviously this thing drones like no tomorrow at 70+ mph. When I got it (used) the fit left something to be desired off. It uses the traditional bolt-and-flange fastening system so I spent the better part of an afternoon getting it to fit right.

Pic 1: Kind of not so great shot showing the Magnaflows fitment under the rear bumer
Pic 2: Comparison between my Magnaflow + MAM system and the CS
Pic 3: Similar to Pic 1 but with the CS
Pic 4: Initial crappy fitment of the CS (it's better now)

*EDIT: I have a small video of the CS exhaust at idle and some light revving - I just don't know how to upload it.*

Last edited:
Magnaflow

Alright, the exhaust went on over the weekend. I tried to do it myself, but, didn't have the tools. So, went to my buddies shop and they did it for $75. Ended up having to cut off the old exhaust due to 2 years of the car living in the snow, But, it's on now.

Here's some pics
DSC00126.jpg

DSC00127.jpg

She rattles the frame a little on startup. Would new hangers help that out?

I'll try to get a vid up later this week of the tone. She really is near silent at idle, but, gives a nice little note on the throttle. My likey

Tylor

Doesn't Skunk2 only make parts for Honda/Acura? I think it would be weird to have one of their mufflers on a Mazda. Just my $.02

Skunk2 has catback exhaust for P5, and I want something different.

Alright, the exhaust went on over the weekend. I tried to do it myself, but, didn't have the tools. So, went to my buddies shop and they did it for $75. Ended up having to cut off the old exhaust due to 2 years of the car living in the snow, But, it's on now.

Here's some pics
DSC00126.jpg

DSC00127.jpg

She rattles the frame a little on startup. Would new hangers help that out?

I'll try to get a vid up later this week of the tone. She really is near silent at idle, but, gives a nice little note on the throttle. My likey

Tylor

Try to put hose clamps on the hangers. It works for me.

Hose clamps on the hangers? I'm not quite sure I follow. Like, put a clamp around the rubber hanger? I am possibly buying some corksport hangers off of a member here. Would that fix it? Also, would corksports raise the tip any closer to the bumper?

Thanks in advance to all.

Tylor

You put the smallest hose clamps they make on the hanger rod off the muffler right next to the rubber hanger to keep it from sliding left or right keeping it aligned in the bumper cutout. Corksport or Kartboy hangers will draw it up a little tighter & those hangers are stiffer than oem so less movement. I actually ended up using stock on front & the kartboys out back by the muffler. You'll just have to keep messin with it to find the sweet spot so it doesn't hit & stays in the bumper hole.

You think it drones??? I dont. Well maybe if you stay in a low gear at high rpms, but otherwise i think its quiet. I do have almost $1500 in a stereo system which is probably why i cant hear it. I Love it

Well, I took a friend out to lunch today and he said it's pretty quiet, especially compared to his VW Jetta. I'm probably just not used to the new tone on this car. Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE the sound and it's just what I was hoping for. (cabpatch)

Back