My Trunk light mod! Damn 5W bulb...

Weborific

So I've finally had enough of this AWFUL (truly ridiculous) 5W trunk light that's about as powerful as holding a lighter in my trunk. For Pete's sake...it's a 2002, not a 1002!! I went to Canadian Tire and purchased a light that I fit right over the existing AWFUL (truly ridiculous) lamp. Cost me under $10.
- Turn the original light off.
- Remove the light's cover
- Remove the original bulb
- Wire the new one in place (solder if possible) to the old bulb's holder
- Cover the underside of the new light's housing with tape (it's metal and will conduct if it touches the wires)
- Make sure the old light switch is set to ON
- Make sure new lamp switch is set to ON to test
- When satisfied, screw the new lamp in place (but make sure old lamp switch is set to ON)
- LOOK, MA....I CAN SEE!!!!!!!

PS: I didn't know this until I read it on this forum... You can leave the light switch in the ON position without worry. It turns off when you close your trunk! I believe the switch is inside the hatchback door.

By the way...THE OLD LAMP IS A PIECE OF S*#T!! Thanks, Mazda!

Attachments

• 100_8546.jpg
    100_8546.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 279
  • 100_8548.jpg
    100_8548.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 290
  • 100_8552.jpg
    100_8552.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 252
Oh now I know what those little squares are for in the plastic tray. Wow took 5 years.

Nice job on the light. I know its dim but it doesn't bother me. What does bother me though is no bulb in the glove box. What do japanese people have night vision or something. I haven't seen a japanese car yet with a light in the glove box. Our nissan, honda, toyota, mitsu and Mazda don't have one. But i've seen them in Dodge.

I haven't seen a japanese car yet with a light in the glove box. Our nissan, honda, toyota, mitsu and Mazda don't have one. But i've seen them in Dodge.

Yes most Japanese cars don't have them like my Honda Civicc doesn't have them either. But my 2007 Toyota Highlander came with it, I was suprised.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 177
Thank you all very much! It's real easy to do. I recommend doing it. I did mainly because sometimes it's so damn cold in winter that I don't like searching for things in the trunk. Did someone say glove-box mod?

Back