Bad Smoke

Smoking CX7's, the problem is that it only smokes during the first 5 minutes or so of driving. Combined with the intermittently of the problem itself, its almost impossible to replicate the problem at the dealer's service center. I will caution anyone and everyone to CHECK YOUR OIL LEVEL with regularity. My car was down 1.5qts over a 2 month period.....I think my next course of action will be to contact Mazda USA about this issue.

stay tuned

I had 3 days in a row with really bad smoke.....bluish in color. I just had my oil changed too. I called the dealer and he asked me to bring my receipt for my oil change...says low viscosity oil could be the cause. I wasn't sure what oil they put in actually. Bringing it in Tuesday. Any thing I should have them look at gang?

Overfilled ....I think not

Wendy,

Since I started this thread, although it is within the realm of possibility my guess is the oil was not overfilled. As for the lower viscosity argument, now thats a good BS line if I ever heard one. I think its the turbo seals personally as my problem has persisted since early on, having nothing to do with oil changes and such...

Either way ,best of luck and keep us informed on the outcome

No Video...

I have not made a video as it would mean having to have a charged and ready camera with me along with someone to shoot as I drive. These two factors make it difficult to achieve this task.

I got a little video of mine on my phone today though it was raining like crazy...today it seemed more white but the smell was very strong today!! No idea how to get it off my phone...does it cost $$?? How do I download it? Bringing it to dealer to show them tomorrow.....I will ask them to check the turbo seals and see what kind of BS I get. I will report back tomorrow gang.

go to photobucket.com or youtube.coma nd host it there. once you have it there, get the links to the video and post it here. Sorry you're having bad smoke. I'd like to compare yours to mine. Where do you go? I service mine at Mazda of Naperville and they're so far giving excellent service.

Ok....Day 4 and I still really know nothing about the smoke situation and I am not liking this rental Camry at all. Oh well. They are doing a series of tests on the car and getting the info. over to Mazda. I guess the tests were not what they had expected and I think they are having trouble figuring it out. They were able to reproduce the smoke at the dealer luckily!! So, by Tuesday next week it will be one week that they have had it...now if they have to replace the turbo or something I have a feeling it will be another few days. I am not angry or anything, just miss my car and hope they figure out and correct the issue. I will update you all next week!

Ok...got a call from Mazda and they are replacing the engine...I did not ask for details but I will. Hmmm......another week till i get my car...

Replacing Engine.....

HOLY S&*T

I thought for sure it would be the turbo, personally I would not want my engine changed out. The level of sophistication associated with that task is a solid 10, I would ask who is doing actual work and how many times have they ever done such a task.

Not trying to scare you, its just a MAJOR job that needs to be done properly. Please keep us informed on the process and how it goes, did they give you any time frame for this change out....I would insist on getting the reason as to why they feel this is an absolute necessity.

Good Luck

this is a known issue with the speed6..
just got mine back from the dealership.. theyve replaced the turbos...
they commented that they had a cx7 with the same issue and is slated to have their turbos replaced as well..

I just left mine this morning for clouds of white smoke at idle and they will be replacing the turbo.
This is what happened.
Service Tec called Mazda to inform of the smoking issue. They asked the service tec for these things to be done.
1. Pull intercooler to see if any oil had gotten inside.
2. Check compression of engine.
3. Check PVC valve.
4. Pull and examine turbo.

I watched as they pulled off the intercooler and checked to see if oil had gotten into it and it was fine. Then the compression checked out fine. All four banks were over 180psi. Next he lifted the cx in the air to get under it and as soon as he took off that bottom cover and shot a light up through the bottom to see the turbo.....BINGO. You could see the black oil coming out of the bottom of the turbo. The seal was bad and it was leaking into the exhaust and down the oil pan stem that leads up to the bottom of the turbo.

That BS about condensation or water vapor causing the white smoke is the dealer party line. The service tec is my neighbor so he was in my corner on this one. I have the CPE exhaust and the increased flow uncovers the problem. Many of you may have the same problem but the stock exhaust with the cat and muffler chambers are stopping the smoke from being as visible.

I had the same problem about 2 months ago...I called the dealer and they told me to drive it until it blew up since it was covered under warranty...lol I checked it the next day and it hasn't smoked since...

Bad Smoke lives on !!!

OK....

I finally have been able to connect the dots and figure out how to get my car to emit a MAJOR cloud of smoke....I would suggest that everyone try this before your warranty expires to make sure your engine/turbo is acting properly.

Follow these Steps:

1) Drive your car for 5 miles or so, then come home and park it for 30 minutes

2) Start up your car and let it idle for 5 - 10 minutes before you drive

3) Drive away as you normally would and look in your mirror for signs of smoke

Repeat this test several times to ensure that no oil is leaking by your turbo seals, my cars smokes like a PIG like you wouldnt believe unless you saw it with your own eyes.

POST results here......I need to know if I have the 1 in a 1000 lemon or the 1 every 100 problems....I would like to think the problem is isolated to less than 5 % of production(blarf)

Back