Should the noise level of my ride change when I change rims?

andytam

I just went from stock 07 15" rims to a set of 18".
I haven't lowered my car yet and is on stock suspension.
I noticed that the noise level is higher than when I was on the 15"'s.
Is this b/c of less rubber? I also notice that there is slightly more vibration...
I did use center caps... and they are balanced... and I got it at a shop done.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:
225/40/18 Kelly Charger HPT (High performance Tires) with lots of tread left

I believe they are the same make and model....

if they are heavier (which they probably are) than your original rims, they will make your engine work harder to move them around. so, yeah, they could make your car seem louder and cause it to ride worse.

I just called the shop.
They said that since my tires are thinner than my stock ones it will be a little rougher, and that the tires I have now aren't as good as my Toyo stock ones, and that if the vibrations or sounds get worse bring it in.
I guess I'll just get a cushion for my seat.

its very normal. as they told you, its the smaller sidewall of the tire. its smaller, so it cant absorb as much as the taller side wall on your 15's.

also most likely the 18 inch tires are a higher speed rating, which means the side wall be alot harder to resist flex at higher rates of speed.

ill agree I have 17s with a lowered car and i live downtown where the roads have ALOT of pumps and such. IT SUCKS I have almost thought about going back to my 15 just because of that and the highways makes some rough sounds and feeling too

I have 17"s and there is a bit more noise, of course, as there more metal you have, the less rubber+air you have.

The firmer you go (suspension, motor mounts etc) the more vibrations you will feel. Also, the firmer you go, the better the car will perform in handling and performance.

Back