Cartridge Filter Dilemma

Nutari,

I assume you bought one of this and are going to install it in a CX7?

Please DO let us know asap!

Thanks!

Rick
Actually, I work for ProtegeGarage. I'm trying to get in touch with Ken. This conversion is supposed to work with all 2.3 DISI engines as well as the regular 3's, 6's. etc.

We only know for sure it fits on the speed 6 & 3. No confirmation on the CX-7 yet.

it should work in all reality. its probably going to be the same kit as the one we use for the DISI mazdaspeed3 and 6, but i am going to check the parts VS what the dealer says before i say yay or nay.

[Mazda part # 3M4G-6744-AA321 14302 C89GA. MEDIA DIAMETER = 2.451 INCHES. DIAMETER OF FIBER END-CAPS = 2.552 INCHES. TOTAL FILTER LENGTH INCLUDING THE FELT PAD ON EACH END= 2.926 INCHES. QUOTE]

Purolator PureONE PL15505 with Blue Media

Media Diameter = 2.366 inches
Diameter of fiber end-caps = 2.455
Total filter length including felt pads = 2.844

Marking on filter F10R13-1 MFG in USA

Looks like it is not due to filter length. I observed a difference in several brands of aftermarket filters for the Mazda 2.3L engine today. Some include a
perforated hard plastic support on the inside of the filter. This PL15505 does not have this interior support. Maybe the heat and oil flow combined with
the spring pressure from the cap is causing the collapse?
I sent e-mail to Purolator with photo's and i am awaiting response.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the frictional forces caused by the spring pressure on the filter during tightening may be causing to problem. I wonder if oiling the cartridge end would help? The next time we load a filter we could try it dry and try it with an oiled end. We could do this dry i.e. without starting the engine. Unfortunately my oil change is not due for quit some time. Good information Zoom49. We now know that the cartridge length is probably not the problem. Ed

I checked the oem Mazda cartridge and it has no center tube for additional support. The filter media itself is very stiff although that is out-of-the-box and as you mentioned hot oil may soften the media.

Hey guys,

I changed my oil yesterday. I'm still pissed as I forgot to collect a sample of the used oil for analysis. Anyway, I wasn't sure I wanted to use the Wix filter I had bought over a week ago, so I stopped at the local Mazda dealer and picked up an oil filter. Well, this "OEM" filter is new.....it isn't the usual all white filter made in Japan. The new part is made in the US by Motorcraft. The filter media doesn't look the same and overall quality seems like it took a bit of a plunge.

The Wix is 2-3mm taller....the sealing gasket on top make it that much taller. It also seems like better quality media wise. The Wix filter also has more filtering surface.

This is the new Mazda filter....Made by Motorcraft, part # FL2017B.

Lastly, I wanted to see if the Wix would have this twisting problem, so I installed it and torqued the cap down. I took the cap back off and checked the filter out. No problems whatsoever. We'll see what it looks like when I pull it out.

Rick

Forgot to mention.....the Wix filter does not have the center tube. The new filter from Mazda does have one, which fits outside the one attached to the oil filter cap. The previous Mazda filter (made in Japan) did not have a tube either. WEIRD!

Word back from Purolator

Tom,

We have had several concerns about this filter for a condition we are calling an "hourglass" appearance. On several occasions we have recieved these filters back from customers and tested to find that they are not "collapsed" meaning that they are still serving their purpose as a filter. Though the filter is still serving its purpose, we do understand that the visual aspect of this filter when taken out needs to be addressed. This is why we have added a plastic center tube to the filter. This keeps the paper from getting this hourglass look.

Travis Canup
Purolator Filters NA, LLC
Media/Product Engineer
3200 Natal Rd
Fayetteville, NC 28306
Ph: 910-426-4817
Fax: 910-425-9953
Email: travis.canup@pureoil.com

Looks like the ones that I have purchased are older stock without the support tube. The pictures of the Wix shown above looks like it is definately
taller than the stock Mazda. I'm going to try to replace my PL15505 filters for newer ones with the internal support. (dunno)

Zoom49,

The new Mazda filters (above) DO have a plastic support inside the filter. The Wix did not, neither did the old Mazda (white) filter.

I have never had this issue happen to me, despite always using the older style (unsuported) filter.

Rick: Your last statement " I have never had this issue..........." Were you refering to the origional Mazda filter without addition support? If so I may keep the "origional" I have without the support and use it. Ed

Ed,

Sorry for the very late response.

No, I have never had an issue with the old Mazda part. In fact, I've never used anything else other than the old Mazda filters. The Wix I installed 10 days ago is also unsuported. We'll see what it looks like when I'm done with it.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I'll be interested in how the WIX/Napa Gold filter holds up. Will you let us know Please? I had hoped to put an order in to "Fleet Filters" but, hesitate to do so until I get some feedback on whether they have a problem. Ed

I have an upcoming 1600 mile trip, so miles will rack up fast.
Also, I did my oil change 2 weekends ago and TOTALLY forgot my sample kit for the UOA. I was pissed! I drop 2 kits in the center storage box.

Rick

Guys,

Changed my oil today. I took out the Wix filter, part # 57203 and there was abosulutely no problems whatsoever with this "unsupported" filter. I will continue to used it, since it is a good brand and it's cheaper than the Mazda filter.

Rick

EDIT: Filter was run for ~4500 miles.

I've used the OEM mazda filter from the dealer with no problems. I haven't used it for extended intervals though. So maybe more than 3k miles could cause issues?

I'm using a FRAM right now much to my dismay. NAPA "lost" their shipment of our filters and the dealer was out. The FRAM filter was 10 bucks too!

Thanks Rick'sCX-7: I was hoping the Wix element was going to do a good job. I did change my oil a few weeks ago (OEM Mazda cartridge) and it was good. I replaced with a OEM Mazda filter (not MC). My filter can cover has a center support tube connected to it. I also remember someone purchasing by mail a Mazda cartridge and they sent him the cartridge and cap with a center support as part of the package. I'm wondering if the cap design was changed when Ford decided to substitute the MC cartridge that needs a center support? Anyway I will be purchasing WIX filters #57203 from "FLEET FILTERS" based on your experience Rick. Thanks so much for sharing the information. I will be due for an oil change in about 3-4 months and I may submit a sample for analysis at that time. Oil will be in use (PP 5w30) for 6,000 miles and engine total miles will be ~ 12,000 miles. Ed

It's juat an appearance issue, I'm suprised so many of you are worried. Mazda has been using this design for 4 years now and as far as I know the only isse we've seen is people using crap aftermarket filters and tearing the o-rings, cracking the filter cap by using improper tools, or lack of any oil changed whatsoever.
I did hear that Mazda has been working on a cap and filter set that is as inexpensive as just the filter is. Right now you can BUY the cap and filter assembly, but it's $13.50.
I do have both Mazda filter styles in stock, but it seems they've gone away from the reinforced plastic tube style filter (or what we call here, the Motorcraft filter since there's a Motorcraft number stamped on it where the old style filter just had Mazda and Ford engineering numbers on it) and they're back to shipping us the old style at the moment. In fact there are no ZZCA-23-802 filters in any PDC's, just L321-14-302-9U's.

I think that if I remove a cartridge filter from my car and find it distorted that it does not instill confidence. While I read that it is only an appearence issue, I still wonder if it might not stress endcap sealing if even for a small percentage of units. A deformed cartridge is not a good design and the assembly should redone im my opinion. Ed

Therein lies the problem. Its with the after market filters.
I use the oem filters.

Still, even if its just an appearance problem and does not affect the function of the filter, like erhayes points out, it does not instill confidence.

Solution is simple, stick with oem, or find a filter that doesnt get crushed. End of story. :)

Back