Cartridge Filter Dilemma

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
There seems to be some issues with the length of the oil filter cartridge. I have read & seen examples of some twisted units when they were removed. Has it been determined which manufactures needs to address the problem with their cartridges and which ones are good-to-go now? Ed

erhayes,

Good question! I just bought a WIX filter and it is slighty taller and wider than the Mazda part.

Can any one answer Ed's question?
Also, what is the part number from WIX? Anyone used this replacement part?

Thanks!

Rick

I was getting my car serviced yesterday, they were talking to someone on the phone about how their Engine cracked because of an improper install of the oil cartridge, be careful!

The cartridge cover is a thick thermoplastic. You should use a cap type wrench to remove it. If you use vise grips or the like you can crack the cover. The cap wrench size is 76MM and it cost about $5 at auto parts or $15 for a fancy plated one from Mazda.

The cartridge cover is a thick thermoplastic. You should use a cap type wrench to remove it. If you use vise grips or the like you can crack the cover. The cap wrench size is 76MM and it cost about $5 at auto parts or $15 for a fancy plated one from Mazda.

I have the fancy wrench from Mazda! What filter are you using erhayes? I'm concerned this WIX filter I have might not fit right.

I'm using the Pureolater "Pure one" on mine with no problems. It is the same height as stock filter. Going to change again this weekend.

Good to know Zoom49. Let us know if the filter cartridge comes out without being distorted or twisted. I thought Pureolator filters were one of the ones mentioned as maybe having the problem. ed

I am using the MAZDA cartridge Rick. The cartridge must have some end compression to seal properly. Maybe 1/16 inch compression? I wish I could find the pictures on this NG or the other Mazda site that showed the distortion and had some discussion on the issue. I'll keep looking. Ed

Rick: I found the information. Go to the "bobistheoilguy" NG. Goto FILTERS>PAGE 3>Down to Mazda "Engine Toast ...." 9/8/07

Wow the pictures of that twisted filter are crazy. That dealers excuse is BS though. Makes me sort of worried about non oem filters

i did the conversion from the internal filter to the mazda3 version thats a screw on. the part was only like 27 bux at mazda with a gasket, then the filter you need to buy is a 2004 mazda3 2.0. its that easy. even did an oil change today.

and its a very easy swap, its a 2 on the 1-10 scale.

erhayes,

I've always used the Mazda oil filter. I was at O'Reilly 2 days ago and scored me 11 qts of Quaker State High-RPM Synthetic blend for $0.99 each. While I was there I bought a WIX oil filter, part # 57203. The thing I noticed about the WIX part is the it has a small gasket glued to both ends and it is also a bit fatter.
I will check the article at BITOG. Will let you guys know if I find anything.

Thanks

Rick

[COLOR="Red"]Measurements for the OEM CX 7 cartridge filter.[/COLOR] part # 3M4G-6744-AA321 14302 C89GA. MEDIA DIAMETER = 2.451 INCHES. DIAMETER OF FIBER END-CAPS = 2.552 INCHES. TOTAL FILTER LENGTH INCLUDING THE FELT PAD ON EACH END= 2.926 INCHES. The felt pad/spacer on each end of the filter = 0.085 inches. The felt pads allows for about 0.050 inch total compression. All these measurements taken on a new unused OEM filter. I used a Calibrated Starrett six inch vernier dial caliper for these readings.

Last edited:
Changed to oil in the CX7 today at about 17,000 miles. I was using
Mobil 1 and the Pure One Purolator filter. I had not previously heard of the
issue with the aftermarket filters. The filter cap is spring loaded to keep the
filter under pressure on the base. Could it be that the filter medium needs to be reinforced to prevent crushing? Guess I better switch back to Factory Mazda unit.(uhm)

Attachments

• CX7Purolator.jpg
    CX7Purolator.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 435
  • CrushedCX7Filter.jpg
    CrushedCX7Filter.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 382
I wonder Zoom49, if it is only the filter height? Is it possible that the spring loading is forcefull enough to twist the filter as the cap is tightened? If this is the case then oiling the filter ends would lower the friction and allow the cap to tighten on the filter without twisting it. Zoom49: What are the filter photos? The used one is a PureOne but, what is the one with the blue media? Thanks Ed Hayes

The used one is a PureOne but, what is the one with the blue media? Thanks Ed Hayes

Ed,

Both are Purolator filters, Used one as well as new filter are the same as part number shown on box. I will get dimensions using vaneer calipers to compare with your mesurements on the factory Mazda unit. Give me two days to post these.

Craig

WOW! I better return the Wix filter I bought a few days ago! I've never had a problem with the Mazda filter.

Rick

Nutari,

I assume you bought one of this and are going to install it in a CX7?

Please DO let us know asap!

Thanks!

Rick

Back