Trans cooler installed

Tom03es

Mile High Zoom-Zoom
Contributor
:
2003 Protege ES
Since I have an automatic, I figure I should take care of it. I got this Hayden 20,000 GVW plate cooler off ebay. Installation wasn't too bad. I did buy some extra hose from Pep Boys before I started as I knew the length they provided with the kit wasn't going to be long enough- and I was right. The hardest part of the installation, once I figured out how to remove the grill without removing the entire front bumper cover, was figuring out how to route the lines so they wouldn't rub. I also couldn't get the 4th tie down installed through the cooler, but I think 3 will hold it just fine.

So far, so good. No leaks and it seems like the transmission shifts just a little easier now (but that could all be in my head).

trans_cooler_instl%20(3).JPG

how did you acess the trans? did you just tap it with a drill? If you could give a short step by step for this part of the process that would be awsome. btw it looks good

No way- didn't drill the transmission! The transmission already has a cooler from the factory in the radiator. I took off the lower hose coming out of the radiator (fluid return to transmission) and connected a hose from the new trans cooler to it. The other port off the new trans cooler was routed to where the factory fluid return connected to the transmission. So now there are 2 coolers cooling the trans fluid- and the second one (the new one) sits up front and in cold air flow.

I have a few more pictures that I can post. The whole install is actually very easy and straight forward.

one thing i am wondering,how did you attach the cooler?it looks like its on the radiator,but how???

nice job by the way!

The kit comes with these plastic "skewers" that go through the flange on the cooler and between the fins on the condenser and radiator. And then on the back side is a lock plate. It's kind of like a zip-tye, once it's on you have to cut it off. I've seen aftermarket radiator fans mount this same way.

More pictures.

Attachments

• trans_cooler_instl.JPG
    trans_cooler_instl.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 373
  • trans_cooler_instl (2).JPG
    trans_cooler_instl (2).JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 398
The kit comes with these plastic "skewers" that go through the flange on the cooler and between the fins on the condenser and radiator. And then on the back side is a lock plate. It's kind of like a zip-tye, once it's on you have to cut it off. I've seen aftermarket radiator fans mount this same way.

ok,now with the new pictures i can see a lot better,it does a clean job!

besides ebay, where can i find a bigger transmission cooler. I need one badly, but want one thats not too expensive? Any venders selling them?

No way- didn't drill the transmission! The transmission already has a cooler from the factory in the radiator. I took off the lower hose coming out of the radiator (fluid return to transmission) and connected a hose from the new trans cooler to it. The other port off the new trans cooler was routed to where the factory fluid return connected to the transmission. So now there are 2 coolers cooling the trans fluid- and the second one (the new one) sits up front and in cold air flow.

I have a few more pictures that I can post. The whole install is actually very easy and straight forward.
Kudos on the pics & all. Been running that same cooler for years. All P5 autos would benefit greatly from this.

besides ebay, where can i find a bigger transmission cooler. I need one badly, but want one thats not too expensive? Any venders selling them?
You can get one for less than 50.00 off ebay including the shipping. Nothing else that benefits the car this much is this inexpensive. The AMSOIL synthetic fluid to flush it out for 70k of service will cost about 100.00. 150.00 is much much cheaper than the hassle of tranny repairs or replacement.

ok lets see if i get this, the car stock has trans line that go the rad to help cool the tranny, is that just for the Auto or is that for both trans. and second, so you can just buy the trans cooler(mini rad) and just attach lines to it and there will be enough pressure to push it into the trans cooler and through the lines. Im new to the whole idea of using a trans cooler and i know nothing about it.

Thanks.

Not sure about the manual trans in this car but no tranny cooler on my other manuals. Older manuals used thicker 90wt oil in them tho. Not sure about newer ones using atf or thinner oils. Yes, on these automatics the hot line coming out of the trans is routed thru the bottom portion of the radiator then back out to the tranny. I don't see where that gets you that much cooling but I guess they did it for a reason. Adding the tranny fluid cooler takes the return from the radiator, runs it to the cooler then the cooled fluid back to the tranny. This provides 2 levels of cooling. The line going back to the tranny is luke warm vs. too hot to hold on the exit line from the tranny (& the return line was without the cooler). As for the pumping ability with extra gravity & fluid for the pump to handle, I guess it's OK. Had that question when doing this too but just went with it as there were no warnings about it & has been OK for several years now with, knock on wood, no tranny issues.

Not sure about the manual trans in this car but no tranny cooler on my other manuals. Older manuals used thicker 90wt oil in them tho. Not sure about newer ones using atf or thinner oils. Yes, on these automatics the hot line coming out of the trans is routed thru the bottom portion of the radiator then back out to the tranny. I don't see where that gets you that much cooling but I guess they did it for a reason. Adding the tranny fluid cooler takes the return from the radiator, runs it to the cooler then the cooled fluid back to the tranny. This provides 2 levels of cooling. The line going back to the tranny is luke warm vs. too hot to hold on the exit line from the tranny (& the return line was without the cooler). As for the pumping ability with extra gravity & fluid for the pump to handle, I guess it's OK. Had that question when doing this too but just went with it as there were no warnings about it & has been OK for several years now with, knock on wood, no tranny issues.

k thx for the info, im sure that have been some ppl with a MSP that have put a trany cooler on ill have to see what i can find.

Whatever size came with the kit. Buy the kit and then buy extra hose once you know the size.

if you even think the transmission wont be able to pumpm through the cooler, mount the cooler on the lower part of the radiator instead of up high, gravity is your friend

Latest posts

Back